Virus TI such a big deal

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Virus TI such a big deal

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:04 pm

How about? Made in Germany, nuff said ;)

I guess you could think of it as hardware *and* software in a box.

h**l some people don't get why the minimoog is worth what it is, but it's not what it can't do, it's what it can do well that makes it worth it. The virus is just a really good alrounder VA. :geek:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:34 pm

This entire thread melts my brain.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm

tekkentool wrote:This entire thread melts my brain.
Haha, well I agree but in what respect do you mean?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 pm

The thread is ridiculous (is it as fat as my juno 106? lqlqlqlql)

The responses are ridiculous by association because they're actually bothering responding seriously to a post that should have just been ignored, or corrected once then ignored.

The dreaded Vst's vs Hardware VA debate has even managed to come up.

I just....I don't know.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Yes, true. I did think it was a new low for this place - nevermind we'll have the usual VSE b***h & moan fest as soon as the NAMM products are announced, something to look forward to! ;)

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm

boreg wrote: Wikipedia gives the same definition:
A software synthesizer, also known as a softsynth is a computer program or plug-in for digital audio generation.
The distinction is that softsynths run on a general purpose computer with a sound card, and the hardware (dedicated) synthesizers have the custom software built-in.
Of course, your definition may be different :)
No, my definition is not different. That's exactly what I said.
ME wrote:The only difference between your PC/Mac running a soft-synth and a hardware digital synth from an engineering standpoint is that one system was designed as an open-ended, general all-purpose computing system and one was designed for a very specific function.
They are both synths that generate their sound digitally via software. I know what the term "softsynth" generally refers to but that doesn't change the FACT that a hardware digital synth is fundamentally a software synth.

People mis-use/misappropriate terms all the time. People of my generation and older still refer to recording TV shows on their DVR as "taping". Are they really using physical magnetic tape to record TV? Of course not, but even if the term is being mis-used, we all know what they are saying.

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:14 pm

The specs, and the build quality. It has a quality keybed. It has quality knobs, lots of them. It has high-quality electronics, DACs, S/PDIF. It has lots of I/O, both digital _and_ analogue, that all work next to each other (extremely hard to engineer into a form that's reliable and consistent in I/O). And yes, it has sophisticated software, that isn't just created for free by a guy with Xcode on his Mac Laptop in his bedroom. That software isn't just a VSTI; it has to integrate with all of the above, effectively.

Then there's the metal box, the wood side panels that are carefully finished. The inventory of parts management, the manufacturing, the assembly, the quality control, the shipping. The management of parts relationships with multiple companies. The shipping. The customer service.

Retail relationship management. Distribution. None of this stuff comes free.

Then there's future R&D, that doesn't come free, either; there's the analysis of what's out there on the market (in terms of componentry), what the competition is doing, what's selling and what's not (market research), the exploration and committment to new business relationships with partners for future manufacture and inventory. The testing of prototypes. Years of R&D and testing and prototyping. Timing of release to market. The rent on all the spaces needed to house all the people who do all these things. The cost of the electricity to heat and cool all those spaces, as well as support all the computers and machines that the people in all those spaces use.

If you don't want to pay for any of that, your choice; but if you like the results, it's actually pretty cheap given all the investment required to get to the end result you can purchase somewhere. :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:33 am

b3groover wrote:
boreg wrote: Wikipedia gives the same definition:
A software synthesizer, also known as a softsynth is a computer program or plug-in for digital audio generation.
The distinction is that softsynths run on a general purpose computer with a sound card, and the hardware (dedicated) synthesizers have the custom software built-in.
Of course, your definition may be different :)
No, my definition is not different. That's exactly what I said.
ME wrote:The only difference between your PC/Mac running a soft-synth and a hardware digital synth from an engineering standpoint is that one system was designed as an open-ended, general all-purpose computing system and one was designed for a very specific function.
They are both synths that generate their sound digitally via software. I know what the term "softsynth" generally refers to but that doesn't change the FACT that a hardware digital synth is fundamentally a software synth.
I know arguing about semantics is really fun and everything, but the reason that people pay $3000 for a Virus instead of $250 for a softsynth isn't to do with any nitpicky details to do with engineering or definitions of things or whatever, it's this:

A Virus is a physical item which is constructed very well and when you press the keys sounds come out. A software synth is a thing which you add to another system to allow it to make sounds.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 am

Thread over. Move along now.

KennaOkoye
Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Post by KennaOkoye » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am

tekkentool wrote:The thread is ridiculous (is it as fat as my juno 106? lqlqlqlql)

The responses are ridiculous by association because they're actually bothering responding seriously to a post that should have just been ignored, or corrected once then ignored.

The dreaded Vst's vs Hardware VA debate has even managed to come up.

I just....I don't know.
Yet... you... still...Posted. HAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

lets get to a 4th page :roll: