Hiding Wires and Cables

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Hiding Wires and Cables

Post by aXL » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

It's probably a thread that pops up every now and again, but I need some quick advice.

The state of the floor is now a pretty serious mess of cables, and I'm starting to get a little concerned about things like fire hazards (for some reason, the outlets in the main room, where I keep my gear, are not grounded) and my mum has a small heart attack every time she visits.

TL;DR version: I need to clean up the cables lying around.

So far, I've picked up a few bags of cable strips and a concealer, but I want to see how people here keep their cables out of sight. I'm considering getting a bigger and better desk at some point that I might be able to tape up the wires to, but for now I just want to know how you guys handle what usually becomes an inevitable mess.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

HH

Re: Hiding Wires and Cables

Post by HH » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I just use velcro strips to wire the bunch together

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm

An overly simplistic explanation:

Bundle high voltage stuff (power) together, separately from signal and MIDI (and CV). On the rear of my keyboard racks, the signal cables all get bundled together and down one side, and the power bundled and down another. I have a surge box below that serves power from a line conditioner, where I can cut power to the whole rig with two switches.

I'm pretty anal about cables and physical separation from power and keeping things clean and neat. Unless you have bare wires touching or in the near vicinity, I would say electrocution is to a lesser degree a problem than introducing noise into your rig.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:48 pm

silikon wrote:An overly simplistic explanation:

Bundle high voltage stuff (power) together, separately from signal and MIDI (and CV). On the rear of my keyboard racks, the signal cables all get bundled together and down one side, and the power bundled and down another. I have a surge box below that serves power from a line conditioner, where I can cut power to the whole rig with two switches.

I'm pretty anal about cables and physical separation from power and keeping things clean and neat. Unless you have bare wires touching or in the near vicinity, I would say electrocution is to a lesser degree a problem than introducing noise into your rig.
Good advice! I was getting ready to write almost the same thing. I've separated my cables in the same way as you describe.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

bad andy
Gear: Rhodes Mark I
Oberheim OB8
Hohner Clav D6
Korg DW8000
Korg Trinity+
Kawai K5000r
Nord 2 Rack
Nord Stage 73 classic
Korg microKorg XL

Post by bad andy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm

This stuff is great, split-loom tubing: http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&bih=1019

You can find a variety of sizes around and it works really well to organize a mess.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

bad andy wrote:This stuff is great, split-loom tubing: http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&bih=1019

You can find a variety of sizes around and it works really well to organize a mess.
Yeah what He said . I don't bother now as my set up is less than a dozen pieces at any given time , but man when we had a couple rack mount stands full , 2 a frames 2 desks this stuff + w/ the method silikon wrote incorporated is as good as it gets for a project studio .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 am

It wouldn't cost much to have an electrician put in grounded outlets. I did it myself and I'm not an electrician, but I don't recommend people do it themselves, since a person could die if they make a mistake or if someone turns on the power while they are working. But grounding can save people's lives. So I think you should do that. I like the split tubing as well. You can get it at radio shack too.