Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Postby CZ Rider » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 am

Minibrute = Instant Classic!
If it wasn't for the MIDI and USB jacks on the back, this could have been made 30 years ago. ;)
CZ Rider

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:00 am

Dr. Phibes wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:*sigh*... people were asking for a demo of the arp. AGS kept saying he'd get to it. but that was pages ago...

I was a little disappointed to see that AG had caved in to the pressure if I'm honest. I was expecting at most a short video of him pinching one out on top of the arpeggiator section; anything more is just pandering to the rabble. That said, I did like the occasional piercing look of disapproval. :)

Here's what the MiniBrute sounds like when it plays itself. Awesome! Imagine the convenience!

P.S. Also: CZ, I'm glad you're still around. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby CZ Rider » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:P.S. Also: CZ, I'm glad you're still around. :)

Yep, still around. Still have that PS-3100 too, thanks to someone's video demonstrating how cool it was. Remember seeing an add for those Korgs back in the late 70's with Kerry Livgren of Kansas asking "Where's the portamento". I didn't get the inside joke 'till I actually owned one.

So...this thread needs more Minibrute sightings in the wild.
Here is mine when I first set it up, interfacing it with a Roland modular. Plays nice with modular CV gear and with the external audio input, I soon had a 4 oscillator patch going. Interesting note is the CV out for pitch starts at the lowest C in the lowest octave range at 1 volt. It goes all the way up to 7 volts output at the highest C. So with the Minibrute sub-oscillator, it always has the lowest tone. Haven't tried those strange looking MIDI and USB sockets yet?
PAIA Pygmy? :shock:
CZ Rider

Postby Bitexion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 am

I'll make a modular controller pic of mine too when...IF I ever get mine.

It's perfect for this purpose since it has CV and gate in/outs on the back. Like it was made for modular control.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Shanesaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Bitexion wrote:Like it was made for modular control.

Hmmm... Could this be a hint about Arturia's next product line, Arturia modular synths maybe? They had the balls to make an analog synth, why not take the next step?
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)
Shanesaw

Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Postby Bitexion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 pm

I doubt it, they've already done the modular VST/Keyboard Origin, real modular gear is so expensive it'd take lots of guts to try that. And lots of money and potential loss. I mean, who would wanna buy Arturia modules when there's a dozen already-established modern modular manufacturers on the market?
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby volumetrik » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:57 am

Bitexion wrote:Well, he said he only had the thing for 3 days, and recorded all the videos, just didn't post them all. Just a matter of uploading to youtube, really.

Hey what would have happened if you kept it longer than 3 days? Why such a rush to send it back
volumetrik

Postby Bitexion » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:20 am

I suppose they would have sent the French Foreign Legion after him, have him flogged and have the wounds filled with salt, then sown up again for misusing their trust and "stealing" the synth that wasn't in production at that stage.

I could have just kept a Creamware Prophet ASB synth I borrowed from a music store to try it out on my real speaker system instead of the crappy headphones in the store. They let me borrow it over the weekend for a small deposit of 1/8 of the price.
If I was a total dickhead I could have just not returned it.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby JayEm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:52 am

Wife and family bought me one for my 30th birthday from moogaudio here in Canada. Should be here in two weeks:-) Hope it shows but I'm excited none the less.
w00t
JayEm

Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Postby Bitexion » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:18 pm

JayEm: haha, I heard "should be here next week" 2 months ago. Good luck.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:52 pm

volumetrik wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Well, he said he only had the thing for 3 days, and recorded all the videos, just didn't post them all. Just a matter of uploading to youtube, really.

Hey what would have happened if you kept it longer than 3 days? Why such a rush to send it back

That's what we call "stealing."

No, I asked if I could use it for a demo, they said they had very little time available, and I worked within their parameters. The truth is, I possessed it for about 3 days, but because I have a job, I really only had about 8-10 hours to work with it AND shoot it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby th0mas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 am

JayEm wrote:Wife and family bought me one for my 30th birthday from moogaudio here in Canada. Should be here in two weeks:-) Hope it shows but I'm excited none the less.

My heart stopped for a sec when I thought you were able to walk into the store and buy one (since I have a paid preorder with them and am waiting) haha, heres hoping to two weeks :)
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 am

JayEm wrote:Wife and family bought me one for my 30th birthday from moogaudio here in Canada. Should be here in two weeks:-) Hope it shows but I'm excited none the less.

I sure hope you're right, my pre-order from the same store is from... February. :roll: Let's just say I've heard the "2-weeks" a few times this year.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Postby Bitexion » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:02 am

My local store has now moved the date to "unconfirmed 07 sep 2012". I don't think they have any more idea than we do. And they've ordered 100 units, you'd think they'd get SOME kind of response from arturia.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby volumetrik » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
volumetrik wrote:

That's what we call "stealing."

well I wasn't implying you could have stole it...

just seemed a bit paranoid.
volumetrik

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers