Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Z » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:08 am

Has anyone heard if the MiniBrute has any sort of poly-chain ability? At $500 a pop, you could make a 4 voice for $2K. If no poly-chain, I know you could do the same with a Roland MPU-101.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 am

Z wrote:Has anyone heard if the MiniBrute has any sort of poly-chain ability? At $500 a pop, you could make a 4 voice for $2K. If no poly-chain, I know you could do the same with a Roland MPU-101.
It appears so.
And some comments via Yves Yusson the man himself:

"Thanks guys !

It's been a real pleasure designing this little beast. I hope it will meet its public."

"The enveloppes are analog (Yusynth ADSR based with some improvements) the LFO was analog in the first version but because it was necessary to synchronise it with the arpeggiator, the LFO now is digital. The vibrato is fll analo too."

"First, I want to thank you all for your enthusiasm about the MiniBrute.

Concerning the digital section yes it will be updatable, this is one of the reason why there is a USB plug in it. Note that the USB is also used to set some parameters of the keyboard section such as Velocity enable or disable and choosing the Velocity Curve, same for the Aftertouch. The default setting is Velocity disabled and Aftertouch active. Normally (I don't master the digital section of this machine) the MiniBrute can handle the Polychain mode.

Note that the Arpeggiator can also be used as a basic sequencer. In the Hold mode, you press and hold the first key of the sequence, then you just enter the other notes by pressing the corresponding keys while still holding the first note of the sequence, during this process you can change the octave range of the keyboard between entering the notes therefore you are not limited to two octaves for the sequence. You can sequence a maximum of 12 notes. Unfortunatly once playing the sequence it cannot be transposed by the keyboard because pressing a new key resets the sequence."

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:16 am

If they did a MaxiBrute with 2 VCO's, a bit longer keyboard, and a few extra features, wouldn't it start looking like the Crumar Spirit which is well sought after and sells for a loooot more than we expect this maxibrute to sell for?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

There's a review in the new issue of soundonsound. Anyone gleaned anything extra from having read it?

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 pm

jaypodesta wrote:There's a review in the new issue of soundonsound. Anyone gleaned anything extra from having read it?
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar12/a ... ibrute.htm
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 pm

I saw that intro to the piece. Just wondered what the rest of it said.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 am

It sounded fantastic from the SoS review. It made me want to buy one put it that way. Previously i was set on the Minitaur. Still buying a Minitaur but now I want the Minibrute as well ;) vintage is dead. Long live the future :D

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 am

It gets a good review, Gordon Reid impressed with it but didn't get on with the Steiner Parker filter at first, but soon got into it. The VCO was praised for it's versatility, but he also mentioned the sub osc meant that you could have nice interesting complex bass sounds without the expense of tying up that interesting VCO for a simple low square wave etc. He said that he felt it would be a success. He mentioned that the return to an old-school memoryless monosynth with patch charts included could be highly instructive for newcomers.

Don't have the mag right beside me right now, but I certainly got the impression it's a very decent well-built product and the decision to use that particular filter was an interesting and brave one.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:51 am

i already have a mopho keyboard, a tetra, a juno 106, and a little phatty. is this worth adding to my setup, from the strictly "we haven't tried one yet" stance?

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 am

Mr. DiSco wrote:If they did a MaxiBrute with 2 VCO's, a bit longer keyboard, and a few extra features, wouldn't it start looking like the Crumar Spirit which is well sought after and sells for a loooot more than we expect this maxibrute to sell for?

May I ask where you get the idea that a Crumar Spirit would come from this fantasy-cobbling? The Spirit's appeal lies in its rather unusual and complex modulation configurations/abilities - nothing shared with the MiniBrute or a doubling therof. Apples to oranges, I say.

Anyway - I've pre-ordered mine. The filter and special oscillator modes + the incredibly cheap price have sold me already.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm

calyx93 wrote:
Mr. DiSco wrote:If they did a MaxiBrute with 2 VCO's, a bit longer keyboard, and a few extra features, wouldn't it start looking like the Crumar Spirit which is well sought after and sells for a loooot more than we expect this maxibrute to sell for?

May I ask where you get the idea that a Crumar Spirit would come from this fantasy-cobbling? The Spirit's appeal lies in its rather unusual and complex modulation configurations/abilities - nothing shared with the MiniBrute or a doubling therof. Apples to oranges, I say.
This is no evident link, and I admit I may have made that up totally while wishful thinking about the Spirit. But the the Spirit is a 2 VCO synth, and as you said, it does get pretty far into complex use of the 2 VCO architecture. I just thought the MiniBrute also streched the possibilities of a 1 VCO architecture. I'm not sure if that makes sens, probably just late-night fantasies.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I
Just
Ordered
Mine
This
Morning
From
Moog Audio

I'm totally psyched!!!

April. :roll: :dancer: :yahoo:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Phenom wrote:Don't have the mag right beside me right now, but I certainly got the impression it's a very decent well-built product and the decision to use that particular filter was an interesting and brave one.
Thanks (Dogboy too).

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:21 am

Have anyone noticed? The youtube search engine always put the Minibrute on the top of the list for any synth-related search. Obviously, they want to sell millions.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:21 am

Scories wrote:Have anyone noticed? The youtube search engine always put the Minibrute on the top of the list for any synth-related search. Obviously, they want to sell millions.
The first production run is going to be 1000 units tho.