Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Push-Pull

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Push-Pull » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Yes.
What I wanted to say, is that it seems neither more strong nor more fragile than its concurrents. Image
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:
Scories wrote:Very interesting. Seems like some basic knowledge the vast majority of us just missed. By rising the osc volume slider looking for hot outputs and high signal-to-noise ratio, maybe we overdrive filters quite often.
This is probably the case. For instance, the mixer on the Moog Rogue is specifically labelled with overdrive if you bring the sliders above a certain point.
And therefore, it should change the filter's character. Finally, I'm starting to think that those angry monosynths with control over the ocsillator's output levels are slightly more flexible.

I like synths that can be pushed out of the usual standards. For instance, I like the way the SEM's PWM can be saturated to the point that it sounds like a squarewave_LFO applied to the VCA output (w.extra phasing). When run through the filter, you get lovely sparkles.

So I'm glad to hear that the Minibrute has been built with extra flexibility coming from [what seems to be] the most boring parameters.

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am

Just watched the AG videos.. this thing is totally sick. Immediately starting to dream of augmenting it with one (or a few) of the crazy eurorack oscillators out nowadays, seems like it would be super-easy with the pitch CV out and the audio in.

Of course, many synths have pitch CV out and Audio in, it just seems like a Piston Honda or something would be awesome with this little guy.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 am

This is a well-built synth. This thing makes the knobs on a vintage Korg feel like the s**t they are. I expected a Technics SY-1010, but I got something heavy with heft and solid knobs and sliders. This is not a cheap piece of c**p. It has better feel than a lot of vintage synths you'd pay FAR more for.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 pm

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that the MB will also have a "polychain" ability...if this is indeed true, then I can see Arturia selling a ton of expansion modules to polychain together for an ever increasing polyphony. Heck, even just 2 in a unison mode would be killer...2 MB filters running in parallel, say one HP into the 2nd in a LP mode...could reach MS20 territory quite nicely, and do a lot more...

I would love to see more inputs/outputs in an expansion module, but even if it was a total duplicate, it would still be a killer combo, for a lot less $ than many 2 osc synths.

Well done Yusynth and Arturia!

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:18 pm

jcn7 wrote:If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that the MB will also have a "polychain" ability...if this is indeed true, then I can see Arturia selling a ton of expansion modules to polychain together for an ever increasing polyphony. Heck, even just 2 in a unison mode would be killer...2 MB filters running in parallel, say one HP into the 2nd in a LP mode...could reach MS20 territory quite nicely, and do a lot more...

I would love to see more inputs/outputs in an expansion module, but even if it was a total duplicate, it would still be a killer combo, for a lot less $ than many 2 osc synths.

Well done Yusynth and Arturia!
+1! I was also thinking they could come out with a "Microbrute" expander w/o keyboard with additional interfacing, and they could also expand this additional modules - similar to the Moog CP251. That would be very cool I think!

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:17 pm

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 am

Does anybody have any inside information of when we can expect to be able to purchase one of these in the US?

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 am

Mel,
I've got one pre-ordered from Novamusik and they've told me 50 units due mid April...whether I'm one of those is another story. So I'd imagine the first US wave is incoming soon.

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 am

They were pushed back at Sweetwater until late May so the wait may be a while.

vox345

Post by vox345 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 am

Back from band cause I rained on this mono single osc parade.I needed it. I have no business talking mid-advanced synth talk.I might contradict myself sometimes too.I’m just pissed at the lack of hard-to-out-do-knobby-flagships-with-original-engines for around a $1,000 for digital or $1,500 analog, which I think’s doable because everyone seems to want knobbys.
Gonna just read more despite the what you don’t know doesn’t hurt you & the devil’s in the details-type stuff on forums/net makes it less fun but seems necessary at some point.

But I Googled “analog lfo” and read it’s a different affect than a digi like MB’s. That search probably doesn’t find this thread http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... ght=analog
I read analog lfos can’t synch bpm as exact as a digi, but I don’t care.
I don’t trust companies sneaking in digi parts that might be overlooked once they say it’s 100% analog signal or because it’s more affordable but is basically the same. The assurance that everything’s analog is good to bypass learning all the complex stuff about what digi parts are okay if you want it totally analog everything. Learning the real difference what an analog synth can do that a digi can’t is a whole other thing and doesn’t take a just a couple days to get out of the way like I hoped.

Push-Pull wrote:
vox345 wrote:$699 instead of $499 for more keys, poly, and VCOs, and asked why they don't offer that
Because for polyphony you need one VCO per voice.
If you suggest a second VCO on the panel, it makes two VCOs per voice.
So, for a "little" polyphony of four voices, you need eight VCOs (!) four filters, eight enveloppes and so on.
Sorry. didn’t know more analog poly and oscs on panel needs independent filters, envs, etc, and the $49 monotron duo had me thinking analog could be so cheap.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm

James Mandible wrote:They were pushed back at Sweetwater until late May so the wait may be a while.
I got an email 10 days ago saying that the eta for (UK) delivery was this Saturday, after it got pushed back from today.

Fingers crossed... see what happens.

thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 pm

guitar center (yeah, yeah) says june 29, for whatever reason.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm

New email today - this Tuesday.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Sorry if you have already mentioned this and I have missed it but who did you order through? Just interested. :)