Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jaypodesta

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:52 pm

DV247

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:53 pm

vox345 wrote:I don’t trust companies sneaking in digi parts that might be overlooked once they say it’s 100% analog signal or because it’s more affordable but is basically the same. The assurance that everything’s analog is good to bypass learning all the complex stuff about what digi parts are okay if you want it totally analog everything. Learning the real difference what an analog synth can do that a digi can’t is a whole other thing and doesn’t take a just a couple days to get out of the way like I hoped.
How are they sneaking it in? Guided Tour section of the Minibrute page, last section under VCO.

"We will say it again, MiniBrute's audio path is 100% analog. Only the arpeggiator and the LFO sections are digital to so as to allow for external synchronization."

They're very upfront about the arpeggiator and LFO being digital.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:10 pm

vox345 wrote:I don’t trust companies sneaking in digi parts that might be overlooked once they say it’s 100% analog signal or because it’s more affordable but is basically the same. The assurance that everything’s analog is good to bypass learning all the complex stuff about what digi parts are okay if you want it totally analog everything. Learning the real difference what an analog synth can do that a digi can’t is a whole other thing and doesn’t take a just a couple days to get out of the way like I hoped.
Sneaking in? really?
Did you know that the Micromoog sub-osc is really a digital circuit? Did they sneak this in back in the late '70's?

Buy it. Play it. Sell it if you don't want it. Or don't buy it and keep your pontifications to the one who listens most.
That would be you. You *are* listening to yourself. Right?

Simple :-)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:01 am

vox345 wrote: I don’t trust companies sneaking in digi parts that might be overlooked once they say it’s 100% analog signal or because it’s more affordable but is basically the same. The assurance that everything’s analog is good to bypass learning all the complex stuff about what digi parts are okay if you want it totally analog everything. Learning the real difference what an analog synth can do that a digi can’t is a whole other thing and doesn’t take a just a couple days to get out of the way like I hoped.
So you didn't realise polysynths had individual filters for each voice but you're definitely savvy enough about the inner workings to know a digital LFO is just not on and they're sneaking in digital parts?

Does it matter if it sounds good?

You've got probably the guy who gets the biggest hard on for analogue gear in the world (AG) singing the praises of it and you're worried about it being too digital?

Please.

vox345

Post by vox345 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:54 am

just hoping someone can elaorate about digi vs analog lfo quick w/o detouring thread. people in thread i linked say it's different enough to mention.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 am

digital lfo means it can be synced reliably to midi clock
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:49 am

vox345 wrote:just hoping someone can elaorate about digi vs analog lfo quick w/o detouring thread. people in thread i linked say it's different enough to mention.
now, I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but the reason analog oscillators is important is the way the harmonics fall/actual shape of the wave made. This is how we know it's a good sound-- a digital oscillator is only so many pictures of the actual wave it's trying to make, and because of how sensitive our ear is to these waves, we can distinguish analog and digital oscillators pretty easily (usually, sometimes digital waves sound great and analog ones sound crappy). The continuous analog wave sounds prettier to our ears (again, usually), and it's really important because these waves are travelling at 60 hz and up-- all in the audio spectrum-- the way the sampling falls in digital waves can be heard.

As far as LFOs go, you're not worried about the harmonics usually-- you're only worried about the shape, and in this case, the shape is close enough to the real wave it's trying to attain that it doesn't make a difference. A 10hz digital wave editing cutoff frequency sounds the same as a digital wave doing the same to the human ear, i'd guess. Now, it complicates things once you take those LFO's up into the audio frequency, but for the most part, those digital LFO's should take care of most applications of the LFO just fine.

does that sound about right to anyone else?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 am

vox345 wrote:just hoping someone can elaorate about digi vs analog lfo quick w/o detouring thread. people in thread i linked say it's different enough to mention.
Your sarcasm detector seems to be functioning particularly well at the moment. :thumbleft:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Sounds like microchips.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Ah, to be young again! A whole new world of instruments and experiences to be discovered! I wish you the best, Vox, and hope you pay attention not only to the info you'll glean from asking questions (with no presupposed answers) but also to your ears. Turn off the net. Go play.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Analog LFOs sound warmer.
Do you even post on vse bro?

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:30 pm

tekkentool wrote:Sounds like microchips.
Have you had a recent hearing test? Just wondering b/c your responses on this thread make me question your hearing

Moped10
Band: a bunch (too many to list in t

Post by Moped10 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 am

sometimes the dork factor on this forum defies comprehension! it's a very reasonably priced monosynth that you can either buy or not buy, so buy or don't buy it, dorks! and I do admit of course, by being on this forum, I'm a dork too, but MAN you guys take it to new levels sometimes! do you really think anyone in the audience is going to notice if the LFO is digital?! :lol: if my listening audience was that aurally anal, I'd have hung it up a long time ago!

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:25 am

It does have analog patch saving, which is rare these days. :read:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

vox345

Post by vox345 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:58 am

Kidney05 wrote:vox345 wrote:
just hoping someone can elaorate about digi vs analog lfo quick w/o detouring thread. people in thread i linked say it's different enough to mention.

now, I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but the reason analog oscillators is important is the way the harmonics fall/actual shape of the wave made. This is how we know it's a good sound-- a digital oscillator is only so many pictures of the actual wave it's trying to make, and because of how sensitive our ear is to these waves, we can distinguish analog and digital oscillators pretty easily (usually, sometimes digital waves sound great and analog ones sound crappy). The continuous analog wave sounds prettier to our ears (again, usually), and it's really important because these waves are travelling at 60 hz and up-- all in the audio spectrum-- the way the sampling falls in digital waves can be heard.

As far as LFOs go, you're not worried about the harmonics usually-- you're only worried about the shape, and in this case, the shape is close enough to the real wave it's trying to attain that it doesn't make a difference. A 10hz digital wave editing cutoff frequency sounds the same as a digital wave doing the same to the human ear, i'd guess. Now, it complicates things once you take those LFO's up into the audio frequency, but for the most part, those digital LFO's should take care of most applications of the LFO just fine.

does that sound about right to anyone else
Am I wrong to say aliasing/sampling falls can't be head on some digi synths and with that aside, everything an analog does that a digi can't like fatness, grittyness, warmth, lushness (added harmonic layers that can be created with a digi synth then layered ), pitch drifts, unpredictability/randomly changing paramaters/random changes during flter sweeps, etc can be created digitally and sound the same afterall?
IOW, is the real advantage of analog over a digi in which you scientificaly proven can't hear aliasing/sampling falls on that analog does all the work for you to get those types of sounds? And that I finally understand the difference between the two?

If it had an analog LFO with the same features as the digi one it has, would you prefer it over the digi, and why?