Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Push-Pull

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Push-Pull » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 am

Analog portamento sounds warmer and fatter.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

vox345

Post by vox345 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:42 pm

^ but if a digi lfo gets into audio range it doesn't.
seriously though, can any1 elaborate on the ? i posted a few posts back? tryin hard not to troll, just wanna learn.
it's like I'm saying if said digi lfo goes into audio range but is quality enough that we can' hear stepping falls/aliasing then it's the same as an analog except an analog has all those unpredictable and/or random harmonics and changes which should be able to be mimicked digitally to get the same affect. Takes some knowlege of what exactly to program, but am I on to something?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 am

Jokes aside, it is true that you might experience more aliasing or quantization if a digital LFO is running at audio rates. I find a lot of digital LFOs sound muddy and sloppy as they get into audio rate. And having just listened to the one example on the Aurturia website, it does sound like the LFO becomes typically digi-muddy when they put it at max speed... but as it only goes up to 100Hz, and doesn't track the keyboard (thus allowing for "playable" FM), I can't see this being a big deal. It's a small price to pay for syncable LFOs which I'd imagine most people would want over "clean" audio-rate modulation.
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:09 am

vox345 wrote:^ but if a digi lfo gets into audio range it doesn't.
seriously though, can any1 elaborate on the ? i posted a few posts back? tryin hard not to troll, just wanna learn.
it's like I'm saying if said digi lfo goes into audio range but is quality enough that we can' hear stepping falls/aliasing then it's the same as an analog except an analog has all those unpredictable and/or random harmonics and changes which should be able to be mimicked digitally to get the same affect. Takes some knowlege of what exactly to program, but am I on to something?
No.

People who are telling you there is a difference are being sarcastic. There is no such thing as "unpredictable and/or random harmonics and changes which should be able to be mimicked digitally" when you're talking about LFOs and envelopes.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
vox345 wrote:^ but if a digi lfo gets into audio range it doesn't.
No.

People who are telling you there is a difference are being sarcastic. There is no such thing as "unpredictable and/or random harmonics and changes which should be able to be mimicked digitally" when you're talking about LFOs and envelopes.

If there was a synths with an LFO with those 'features' there would be six different discussions here of the KoRoMaha PXR-2311 Mk 23 and how NOISY its LFO is.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 pm

The factor analog brings LFO: possible imperfect frequency and waveshape.
Relevance in regard to analog sound: Minimal.

You'd have to want to say this: "Hear how that LFO doesn't line up with the rhythm almost immediately? Yeah, THAT'S ANALOG, BABY! WOOOOOOOO"

It's hard to sell that sort of variability as desirable or necessary from a musical standpoint. Of course, it's not UNdesirable... just... unnecessary.
That which makes an oscillator awesome at high frequency is just relatively unimportant at low frequency.

In regard to envelopes, it's nice when envelopes are slightly different from use to use... but I suspect if that difference is distinctly noticeable, it's probably a electrical failing as that was never the aim in regard to envelope generators.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

vox345

Post by vox345 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:There is no such thing as "unpredictable and/or random harmonics and changes which should be able to be mimicked digitally" when you're talking about LFOs and envelopes.
Ok, so it’s just not possible to manipulate a digi synth extensively enough to make it sound the same as a totally analog to people if the digi synth is quality enough that it doesn’t emit stepping fall/aliasing/etc. I thought software could modulate that extensively and randomize just about everything, but software’s known to sound too digital/aliasing/stepping falls/etc anyway compared to quality hardware though if I’m not mistaken.
As far as oscs though, Sure, i guess my idea of randomizing and layering a lot would sound analog 'phat/grity/harmonics' and unpredictable, as long as it's a high quality digi synth that doesn't have aliasing, stepping falls, etc.

Glad someone claims a digi lfo in audio range may introduce aliasing/step falls though, so I don’t feel bad about getting teased for suggesting it

Guess my question now is can analog eventually become obsolete? think I read somewhere it could, just not now.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:19 am

AG finally made youtube his b***h or he begged and pleaded like one, I'm not sure which. He did finally get the 3rd video posted to youtube tho :)

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 am

I really didn't expect the sweetwater demo to be this good.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 am

Between that sweet water demo and AG's series of videos I have decided I need $500 real bad
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Mr. Vox, mate. Could any more questions about digi vs analogue please not be asked in this thread? This one's not about that subject at all really. Make a new thread.

vox345

Post by vox345 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 pm

nm. i'll make a thread

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

preordered, place is saying 4/20 estimated in stock.....I needed an excuse for something analog in my all digital setup and this was too tempting.

Do people on here have any from the first batch? Some places sounded like they had already sold the first run...

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I pre ordered mine before the 1st batch hit was known as a 1st batch , but I have no belief I will see one until june-ish .

Until then I guess I just have to make due and learn the nooks and carneys of a new slim phatty ;)
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 pm

blavatsky wrote: Do people on here have any from the first batch? Some places sounded like they had already sold the first run...

I'm really surprised no one on VSE was not amoung the first batch. Which leads me to believe maybe it was a super small, "cooler-than-you" select few (myself included of course) who received theirs, or the first batch has indeed not been let loose upon the world.
blavatsky wrote:I needed an excuse for something analog in my all digital setup and this was too tempting.
The funny thing is I've been actually looking for the exact opposite in a digital poly - looking at you Virus TI2 (just by saying that I fear some subvert analog-purest God will smite me with lightning for betrayal....man I have issues.... :facepalm: )