Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by thosquanta » Mon May 14, 2012 7:34 pm

th0mas wrote:CANT WAIT FOR THIS SYNTHESIZER TO BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
why does that damned availablity date have to keep marching away from us?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 15, 2012 1:23 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The price of an SH-101 corrected for current dollars is immaterial. You people just don't seem to get that it was a cheap... very cheap... synthesizer aimed at the mass market. Functionality-wise, it's very limited. If it wasn't associated with a currently popular genre, it'd be dismissed just like it was. There are BUNCHES as equally-cool monosynths.
The MiniBrute blows it away.
The Minibrute is also a cheap synthesizer aimed at the mass market, however good it is.

I think the SH101 comparison came up because:

1. How "cheap synth" is defined is drastically differently than in 1983. Some of the synths out now that many of us. think of as super expensive are still the price of a moped, as opposed to costing as much as a new car, like they did in the 70s and early 80s.
2. It's a lot cheaper to manufacture analog monosynths now compared to 1983. So you can get a great mono for a grand, which was the same price in 1983 only in 1983 dollars.
Hello, I am a time traveler from the past. I was alive and synth-buying in the 1980s.
I promise you that while you could buy a car for $495 in 1983, that was not "the price of a car in 1983." To give you some perspective, my mom bought me a Juno-106 in 1985. While Wiki will contend that it was 1000-something, it wasn't. It was about $800. Likewise, no matter what Wiki tells you, I distinctly remember being so ignorant as to ask for a Poly-800, because it was literally "the cheapest synthesizer," in 1985. I can't remember the exact price, but it was new and cheaper than $799. While the SH-101 was purportedly still available even until 1988 (is that really true? Seriously? I'm here to tell you that no one wanted an SH-101 after the DX7 came out), the $495 price tag was laughable... it could only play one note at a time. It was not sought-after. It was a limited old-fashioned synth.

This the point where Scott will show up and tell us that a homeless friend of his could afford a Fairlight in 1982. :lol:

Anyway. The SH-101 was a last desperate stab by Roland to make a cheap analog monosynth at a time where no one wanted a cheap analog monosynth. Just-as-cheap-but-non-plastic monosynths had been made before it. The only thing that saved it from its fate of being an indifferent but still analog synth in the 90s was its genre-association.

While the MiniBrute is aimed at the mass market, it is a wholly-different market context. This thing comes out at a time when everyone contemptuously states that such a synth with knob-per-function couldn't be made now.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue May 15, 2012 3:16 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Hello, I am a time traveler from the past. I was alive and synth-buying in the 1980s.
And you've lived to tell the tale! I was around then but not yet into making music. But I was thinking more about the Memory Moogs and Prophets when comparing poly prices to car prices. (OK maybe used car...) The Japanese changed everything when it came to price expectations--for synths AND cars!
Automatic Gainsay wrote: While the MiniBrute is aimed at the mass market, it is a wholly-different market context. This thing comes out at a time when everyone contemptuously states that such a synth with knob-per-function couldn't be made now.
Good point. There have been countless threads about how much such a synth would cost, with guesses ranging from $200 to $2000. It's pretty awesome that a fairly mainstream maker decided to just jump in and find out--even greater that it's extremely affordable. I'm curious to see if this ends up catching on in the mass market like the MicroKorg or if potential casual buyers will be put off because you can't play chords and there are no realistic piano sounds...

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:11 am

thosquanta wrote:
th0mas wrote:CANT WAIT FOR THIS SYNTHESIZER TO BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
why does that damned availablity date have to keep marching away from us?
So do they have an idea of when it'll be available? After seeing Marc's video, I'm pretty much sold on this thing.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: This the point where Scott will show up and tell us that a homeless friend of his could afford a Fairlight in 1982. :lol:
f**k you! :evil: :lol:

But you're hitting the nail on the head. After froggin' around with mono synths for so long, the availability of affordable polysynths was really quite something. I would be hard-pressed to remember anyone who had an SH-101 after '84 or so. h**l, only one friend of mine kept his beloved MS-20 (he still has it, by the way): most of us dumped that stuff and never looked back.

I'm sure I'm out-of-step with this conversation, but I don't really see the point of comparing this new product with those that were in production then. Yes, it's cheap and affordable; that argument could be made both then and now. The biggest difference is that we have a whole lot more choice now in what we use, both new and used. You can argue analog vs digital vs software vs what-have-you, but the fact remains that the market today is NOT the same as yesterday and making one-to-one comparisons simply does not work, even when adjusting dollar amounts.

And, for the record, I knew someone who had a Synclavier. Never saw a Fairlight 'til many, many years later.

And I still hate the DX7 with a passion.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue May 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Right on, Marc! And let's not forget that we were also on the lookout for new timbres like FM, L.A. (samples+synthesized), we wanted a streamlined interface (really?!!), it was all going off the desks/stands and into racks, or the computer. The 101 just seemed a relic at that point (late 80s).
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed May 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Right on, Marc! And let's not forget that we were also on the lookout for new timbres like FM, L.A. (samples+synthesized), we wanted a streamlined interface (really?!!), it was all going off the desks/stands and into racks, or the computer. The 101 just seemed a relic at that point (late 80s).
So I guess you won't be buying this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Roland- ... 655wt_1115

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Ha! I have one! :D
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: This the point where Scott will show up and tell us that a homeless friend of his could afford a Fairlight in 1982. :lol:
f**k you! :evil: :lol:
Day made. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Considering xox boxes haven't impacted 303 prices, why would the m.b. affect sh 101 prices? And while were at it, why trash the gear? If you don't like it, don't use it. I'd be happy to use the 101 and little else if I were in such a situation, but it doesn't have to be an either/or. Let the 101 lay down with the moog.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu May 17, 2012 5:02 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Considering xox boxes haven't impacted 303 prices, why would the m.b. affect sh 101 prices? And while were at it, why trash the gear? If you don't like it, don't use it. I'd be happy to use the 101 and little else if I were in such a situation, but it doesn't have to be an either/or. Let the 101 lay down with the moog.
I agree trashing is pointless, but perspective is important. Not everything made 30 years ago was built to last 30 years. The MC-202 I had was mint but could get scratched as easily as butter, and could flex a solid 10 degrees just when you picked it up... plus the circuit board's made of something similar to laminated paper. Just as important as not trashing gear is to not put it on a pedestal.

That being said, f**k the SH-101, lets talk about the minibrute. VERY EXCITED THAT THIS IS BEING MADE THIS YEAR OF THE MONOSYNTH :D

bytexion
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Yamaha DX7S
Analogue Systems modular
Yamaha Motif XF6
Creamware Minimax
Ensoniq SQ-80
Roland D-50
Roland Gaia

Post by bytexion » Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 am

This thread made me return from my years-long forum hiatus. It's been nice. Although my user account had disappeared.
Whoever is left that remembers me, hello again :) To anyone who don't, I was here in the early days.

I am the mass market. I WANT this synth. But alas, my local store still didn't get it, they keep pushing the date back by two weeks all the time.

Having fun messing about with the Jupiter-80 every time I go there to look, though.
"This synth is OLD, like your mom!"
-Deadmau5, regarding his EMS Synthi A

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri May 18, 2012 7:15 pm

bytexion wrote:This thread made me return from my years-long forum hiatus. It's been nice. Although my user account had disappeared.
Whoever is left that remembers me, hello again :) To anyone who don't, I was here in the early days.

I am the mass market. I WANT this synth. But alas, my local store still didn't get it, they keep pushing the date back by two weeks all the time.

Having fun messing about with the Jupiter-80 every time I go there to look, though.
Welcome back, bytexion!
I'm glad I got the preview of your return. :)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm not sure bringing up build quality issues with the MC-202 is really relevant...Anyway, about not putting gear on a pedestal: I'll wait until the mini brute becomes readily available before I form an opinion, especially about it's build quality / reliability. I mean, it doesn't have to have been around for decades like some other small gray monosynths, but I'd like to at least wait until the hype and novelty die down.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

bytexion
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Yamaha DX7S
Analogue Systems modular
Yamaha Motif XF6
Creamware Minimax
Ensoniq SQ-80
Roland D-50
Roland Gaia

Post by bytexion » Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
bytexion wrote:This thread made me return from my years-long forum hiatus. It's been nice. Although my user account had disappeared.

Welcome back, bytexion!
I'm glad I got the preview of your return. :)
Indeed, trying to regain my footing here and find the good ole threads, in between playing Diablo 3 :twisted:
Got my eyes on that Minitaur too, they didn't get that one either yet.

I figured, why spam about synths on youtube when I can do it here :geek:
"This synth is OLD, like your mom!"
-Deadmau5, regarding his EMS Synthi A