Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
volumetrik

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by volumetrik » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:52 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: PS analogue doesn't automatically mean good sounding and digital bad sounding, lots of examples of the other way round.
totally agree, theres loads of amazing digital stuff.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:25 am

jimtheswede wrote:It IS innovative in the design - not neccessarily in the actual components used. What other analog synth manufactured recently has used the osc. mixer, multi mode filter, brutilizer, etc., with CV and Midi/USB? I don't think anything - especially by the "big three". What else is out there to compare (other than getting into modulars)?

Recently? By the big three? nuttin.

on the other hand.. Mopho, Phatty, Voyager, etcetc.... ('Brute factor' sounds an awful lot like filter feedback to me)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 am

jimtheswede wrote:It IS innovative in the design - not neccessarily in the actual components used.
That's not what innovation means.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:10 am

Ashe37 wrote:Recently? By the big three? nuttin.

on the other hand.. Mopho, Phatty, Voyager, etcetc.... ('Brute factor' sounds an awful lot like filter feedback to me)
Brute Factor is just taking the headphone out and running it back to the external audio in and creating that loop. Works on older synths and newer synths w/external in, even works on the iMS-20. This just adds it as a single knob, plus you can still do the out/in trick on top of that :)

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 am

SSquirrel wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Recently? By the big three? nuttin.

Brute Factor is just taking the headphone out and running it back to the external audio in and creating that loop. Works on older synths and newer synths w/external in, even works on the iMS-20. This just adds it as a single knob, plus you can still do the out/in trick on top of that :)
yes, that's what filter feedback does on most synths.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Indeed, and you don't need to waste an extra cable to do it here :)

The big three don't really want to innovate, because the masses are only clamouring for "classic remakes", so Dave Smith is happy churning out remakes of Prophets with other names. And Moog is happy rereleasing legendary bass synths like Minitaur or Voyager. And people buy them, naturally because we want the classic sounds but don't want to rely on 30 year old electronics.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Bitexion wrote:Indeed, and you don't need to waste an extra cable to do it here :)

The big three don't really want to innovate, because the masses are only clamouring for "classic remakes", so Dave Smith is happy churning out remakes of Prophets with other names. And Moog is happy rereleasing legendary bass synths like Minitaur or Voyager. And people buy them, naturally because we want the classic sounds but don't want to rely on 30 year old electronics.
thats like saying the only people that buy em are the ones who already know what a Prophet 5 is or why the MiniMoog is so legendary and familiar with everything else in classic analog. You gotta take into account new generations, new genres, new trends, newbies etc.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Bitexion wrote:Indeed, and you don't need to waste an extra cable to do it here :)
Don't have to waste one on my Mopho either...

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 pm

"And the MiniBrute has the BRUTE FACTOR!" (enthusiasm about that functionality)
"Yeah, well, that's just filter feedback." (irritation about enthusiasm for something that has been done)

While it's understandable to keep people's thinking straight about what is new and what it is not, it is not understandable to pretend that simply because something has been implemented before, it's going to be the same in every implementation. In fact, that is really irritating. While feedback isn't new, and while individual aspects of the MiniBrute may not be new, the current combination of those functionalities and their realization IS. The MiniBrute is the only synth with its combination of functionality, AND it's implementation of that functionality. While it may not be innovative, it is unique, and is going to sound different from all of the synths and their own implementations of those functionalities.

You can all roll your eyes about people's excitement about the Metalizer and the Brute Factor... yeah, those things have happened before... but they haven't happened how the MiniBrute does them, and especially for the price. Let me assure you that I've played and owned a shitload of synths, and I found myself smiling and my eyebrows being raised when I heard what the implementation of these functionalities yielded.

I understand mocking unwarranted enthusiasm, but make sure that you don't end up sounding like you don't know what you're talking about when you try to quell it. The Brute Factor does some really cool s**t with the combinations of the other things that the MiniBrute does.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:"And the MiniBrute has the BRUTE FACTOR!" (enthusiasm about that functionality)
"Yeah, well, that's just filter feedback." (irritation about enthusiasm for something that has been done)

While it's understandable to keep people's thinking straight about what is new and what it is not, it is not understandable to pretend that simply because something has been implemented before, it's going to be the same in every implementation. In fact, that is really irritating. While feedback isn't new, and while individual aspects of the MiniBrute may not be new, the current combination of those functionalities and their realization IS. The MiniBrute is the only synth with its combination of functionality, AND it's implementation of that functionality. While it may not be innovative, it is unique, and is going to sound different from all of the synths and their own implementations of those functionalities.

You can all roll your eyes about people's excitement about the Metalizer and the Brute Factor... yeah, those things have happened before... but they haven't happened how the MiniBrute does them, and especially for the price. Let me assure you that I've played and owned a shitload of synths, and I found myself smiling and my eyebrows being raised when I heard what the implementation of these functionalities yielded.

I understand mocking unwarranted enthusiasm, but make sure that you don't end up sounding like you don't know what you're talking about when you try to quell it. The Brute Factor does some really cool s**t with the combinations of the other things that the MiniBrute does.
:)
Yeah, AG said it better than me - and he has actually played one. It may not be "innovative", but it is certainly unique in the overall design. Thanks for the post! When is "Part 4" coming, BTW? :lol:

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
jimtheswede wrote:It IS innovative in the design - not neccessarily in the actual components used. What other analog synth manufactured recently has used the osc. mixer, multi mode filter, brutilizer, etc., with CV and Midi/USB? I don't think anything - especially by the "big three". What else is out there to compare (other than getting into modulars)?

Recently? By the big three? nuttin.

BTW - OT, but I do love what DSI and Moog are also doing (I am loving my P08 PE and Slim Phatty). Not "innovative" perhaps but very cool stuff IMO.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Why should they bother innovating where every step in the right direction has the response "yes that's great but why doesn't roland recreate the sh-101"

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Last edited by volumetrik on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 am

Roland sucks now. The end. Back to the Minibrute speculations...

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:42 am

A.G.,

After viewing your videos, I became curious: Are you a paid spokesperson for Arturia and the Minibrute? I apologize if this was covered, but I didn't see a mention of it. I think it's always good to have transparency on the topic if that does happen to be the case. Thanks.