Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Scories » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:huh... interesting. I guess the only caveat is that your sequence dies with the batteries? I can see this being useful for an all analog/no PC setup, but in a midi setup, not really.. although I do appreciate how happy accidents can happy with that type of sequencer.
Yes. That's why the 101 still might be most popular synth to interact with a cv/gate modular setup. An other interesting aspect of the sequencer is that you can transpose the overall sequence in real time by holding the transpose button and pressing a key. But yes, the sequence vanishes as you turn of the synth if you don't have the batteries in; that's the annoying part.
Last edited by Scories on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 pm

masstronaut wrote:Haven't read the whole thread but do you realise the designer has said the MB will have a simple sequencer (no transpose)?
Most of page 14 was devoted to discussions of the 101 and sequencing. The MB will allow you to hold a key and enter up to 12 keys. Just make sure you don't want to include that original key again :)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Really wonder if they can't come up with a better scheme than that. Still it's better than nothing.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Why does this thing scream vintage to me, even though it's clearly new?

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm

masstronaut wrote:Really wonder if they can't come up with a better scheme than that. Still it's better than nothing.
Seems pretty clear that they were toward the end of things and wondered what would be a good last bonus they could toss in and thought of sequencing. For a minor sequence here and there it will do, but it certainly won't be something people buy it specifically for. If there is a lot of interest in more advanced sequencing, maybe their next hardware piece will be some sort of sequencer or a Maxibrute w/2 or 3 VCOs, a full sequencer and more. I'm very excited for the product as is personally.

MikeRochip
Gear: DSI Evolver, Alesis Micron x2, Korg EA-1, Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Casio HT-3000, Casio WK-1630
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by MikeRochip » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

This is pretty much totally awesome. Fully analog for $500, you absolutely cannot beat that these days. Hopefully one of these will make it into my rig.

haydenvan
Gear: Roland SH-101, CSQ-600, Korg KR-55, Ensoniq SQ80, Akai MPC1000

Post by haydenvan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:02 pm

If the arpeggiator is on, does it send the arpeggiated notes out of CV/Gate or just the keys you are holding?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 pm

haydenvan wrote:If the arpeggiator is on, does it send the arpeggiated notes out of CV/Gate or just the keys you are holding?
We don't know.

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 am

How were they able to make this thing for $500 MSRP? I didnt think it would be possible.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:21 am

bassdude wrote:How were they able to make this thing for $500 MSRP? I didnt think it would be possible.
yeah, I remember not so long ago people having a big old argument about korg doing something like this for about the same price and people saying that it was impossible...korg didn't do it, arturia did...go figure...

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm

[quote="MikeRochip" Fully analog for $500, you absolutely cannot beat that these days.[/quote]

There is some digital stuff in there, hence the price point, fully analogue would have pushed it a little higher in price.
You always want just one more Synth!

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 pm

fully analogue would have pushed it a little higher in price.
But the MiniBrute IS fully analog !!
The digital part concerns only the keyboard, MIDI and arpeggio.

The low price is reached thanks to the chinese production.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Synthacon

Post by Synthacon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Push-Pull wrote: But the MiniBrute IS fully analog !!
The digital part concerns only the keyboard, MIDI and arpeggio.
Having a digital LFO is certainly not fully analogue, there are a lot of people who would string you up for that. I myself am not too bothered but to be fully analogue would in some circles involve an actual LFO not a software one. There are a few makers out there who pride themselves on making analogue only synths. The cost of a real LFO can be approaching that of another VCO.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm

That's right, I have forgotten the digital LFO. Mr Yves Usson (MiniBrutes father) told me that this choice was because the synchronisation with the arpeggio.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Synthacon

Post by Synthacon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm

I am glad they took that route to be honest, you do not miss out having a digital LFO and to have the sync function is nice.