Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vox345

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by vox345 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 pm

-but korg monotron duo has 2 vcos plus other analog features for just $49.
-I think I found an analog lfo thread or two somewhere that I can't find now where credible people swear by it not adding digi artifacts or something.

But, I’m thinking the problem with my idea is that no company would build the perfect synth because they can’t out-do it in future products, or can they? By ‘perfect synth’ I mean not too much, not too little, basically give minibrute more keys, poly, and another osc for $699 total and can remove things like the novelty mod wheel. I think that’d generate more sales & profit, but what can they make next that people would buy??? I said different oscs for a new sounding synth would work, but on second thought it wouldn’t sound so different, and if they for example made one grittier sounding and the next one clean/smooth, most would probably chose the clean one and add their own fx.
Also if they build just one perfect synth and keep manufacturing it for 40 years, they’ll loose profit because US money at least, changes value- asking the same price they do now in 20 years is asking to lose like %30. They can raise the price in 15 years but people would foresee that and buy bulk, wait, and be able to sell them cheaper new online because they don’t have to pay for business licenses, insurances, warehouse, etc.
Maybe why a small company hasn’t made the ‘perfect synth’ to out sell everything else is that the parts and technology etc needed to manufacture is monopolized to the point that repackaging is needed to profit.

The number of keyboard buyers is always rising, and they’ll buy the used old ones from all the people who buy the new ones so repackaging works even for players cause they know they can sell what they had for newer products. I’d rather stick with a few great boards and play then spend time keeping up with gear specs and values.

Maybe I’ll just pay more for modular parts ‘cause it basically lets me build my own synth.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:03 am

Can this end?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 am

vox345 wrote:-but korg monotron duo has 2 vcos plus other analog features for just $49.
-I think I found an analog lfo thread or two somewhere that I can't find now where credible people swear by it not adding digi artifacts or something.

But, I’m thinking the problem with my idea is that no company would build the perfect synth because they can’t out-do it in future products, or can they? By ‘perfect synth’ I mean not too much, not too little, basically give minibrute more keys, poly, and another osc for $699 total and can remove things like the novelty mod wheel. I think that’d generate more sales & profit, but what can they make next that people would buy??? I said different oscs for a new sounding synth would work, but on second thought it wouldn’t sound so different, and if they for example made one grittier sounding and the next one clean/smooth, most would probably chose the clean one and add their own fx.
Also if they build just one perfect synth and keep manufacturing it for 40 years, they’ll loose profit because US money at least, changes value- asking the same price they do now in 20 years is asking to lose like %30. They can raise the price in 15 years but people would foresee that and buy bulk, wait, and be able to sell them cheaper new online because they don’t have to pay for business licenses, insurances, warehouse, etc.
Maybe why a small company hasn’t made the ‘perfect synth’ to out sell everything else is that the parts and technology etc needed to manufacture is monopolized to the point that repackaging is needed to profit.

The number of keyboard buyers is always rising, and they’ll buy the used old ones from all the people who buy the new ones so repackaging works even for players cause they know they can sell what they had for newer products. I’d rather stick with a few great boards and play then spend time keeping up with gear specs and values.

Maybe I’ll just pay more for modular parts ‘cause it basically lets me build my own synth.
Please don't make these uninformed statements on VSE any more until you've done a bit more reading and actually know enough to have an opinion worth reading. I'm pretty sure that the majority of posts you've made since joining VSE have been so uninformed that they've lead to arguments that have derailed discussion on the forum. That's textbook trolling, and if it happens again you'll be banned for it. I realise there's a chance that you're just clueless but really convinced by your own ideas but unfortunately there's no way of differentiating that from trolling so if that's the case perhaps try to tone it down a bit. You've gone from asking about the difference between analogue and digital to telling everyone that you're better at designing synths than Yves Usson in a couple of weeks. I think you got a bit excited there. :D

Note that we don't want to have to ban anybody and we don't do it for our own enjoyment, it's a last resort and it's done to stop this forum from descending into the kind of rubbish that GS and KSS have become. Please don't go on a 'the mods are all nazis' bender because of this, that kind of disruption is not what we want. :thumbleft:

vox345

Post by vox345 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:51 am

i was just saying i think most would rather spend around $699 instead of $499 for more keys, poly, and VCOs, and asked why they don't offer that if not the reasons i wrote. You might say simply cause it cheaper, but wouldn't we rather a rack for the same price with more VCOs and poly minus the features i said can go? If u love minibrute, get it, but I'll wait it out, minitaur, analog monotrons, and minibrute stirred up a lot in the market and someone's should make something affordable and better soon.
Last edited by vox345 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:10 am

vox345 wrote:i was just saying i think most would rather spend around $699 instead of $499 for more keys, poly, and VCOs, and asked why they don't offer that if not the reasons i wrote.
Because it costs more than you think. Evidence: DSI Mopho Keys.

vox345

Post by vox345 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:14 am

it's analogs with a luxury tax people are willing to pay more for. but i can't not refer the VCO and other analogness of montribes to say it can be done so cheap.
whatever

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:18 am

Dear VOX345, you are thick. STFU, please, until you have schooled yourself a lot more.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Don't you live in flyover country? :P

Actually going to Asheville would be pretty cool if I could organise a show there to partially offset the flights. I've only spent time in NYC and Ithaca when I've been to the States in the past.
Oh man... If you make it to NC, you're practically obligated to let me get you soused one night.
vox345 wrote:it's analogs with a luxury tax people are willing to pay more for. but i can't not refer the VCO and other analogness of montribes to say it can be done so cheap.
whatever
Hey, new guy. Notice how all the established members here don't seem to care for your incessant petulance? Let that and Stab Frenzy's prior warning put you on guard. You don't want any more attention.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 am

vox345 wrote:it's analogs with a luxury tax people are willing to pay more for. but i can't not refer the VCO and other analogness of montribes to say it can be done so cheap.
whatever
Sorry but this behaviour is indistinguishable from trolling. You were warned, have a two week break to think about things. Hope you can contribute more if you decide to return after that.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 am

tallowwaters wrote:Oh man... If you make it to NC, you're practically obligated to let me get you soused one night.
Oh, please let me in on this action.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:45 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Oh man... If you make it to NC, you're practically obligated to let me get you soused one night.
Wait, what part of NC are we talking here? I used to live there and want a good excuse to visit soon!

EDIT: Oops, should have read back one more page! Asheville is nice, used to go there often when I was in grad school in this little town west of there called Cullowhee. Seriously, one year I really do need to get up there for Moogfest.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am

vox345 wrote:$699 instead of $499 for more keys, poly, and VCOs, and asked why they don't offer that
Because for polyphony you need one VCO per voice.
If you suggest a second VCO on the panel, it makes two VCOs per voice.
So, for a "little" polyphony of four voices, you need eight VCOs (!) four filters, eight enveloppes and so on.

And the price is not really the same....
vox678 wrote:Maybe I’ll just pay more for modular parts ‘cause it basically lets me build my own synth.
Good idea ! And you will understand many things.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

vox345 wrote:i was just saying i think most would rather spend around $699 instead of $499 for more keys, poly, and VCOs, and asked why they don't offer that
It's just marketing.

Arturia probably sees the $500 price as a point where they can make money. Their nearest competition is the Mopho at $300 more. In the sub $1000 price range, $100 makes a huge difference because most buyers are on a tight budget. Those who can afford to spend more are already buying Little Phattys, Mono Evolvers, Voyagers, etc.

As SoundOnSound noted in their review of the MiniBrute, there is a strong market for vintage single VCO synths like the SH-101, Axxe, MS-10, etc. so building a brand new instrument that hits that sweet spot for less money is a good bet for success.

I'm sure if Arturia makes a ton of money on the MiniBrute they will attempt something more ambitious in the future.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I agree. I think Arturia knows exactly what they are doing. When is the last time you've seen a brand new analog synth with keys and a knob for every function at $500? The last thing I can even think of for this cheap was the Novation Bass Station and that was nearly 20 years ago and it wasn't nearly as cool as what I'm hearing from the minibrute.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Don T wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Wait, what part of NC are we talking here? I used to live there and want a good excuse to visit soon!

EDIT: Oops, should have read back one more page! Asheville is nice, used to go there often when I was in grad school in this little town west of there called Cullowhee. Seriously, one year I really do need to get up there for Moogfest.
I'm actually down towards Hickory, but I've known many an ASU reject that went to Cullowhee instead. ;)
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
We keep waiting on you, but we figured our rustic hayseed charm merely came off as a dull witted buffoonery last we were in Asheville. Let it be known that you can buy all the caustic, environmentally destructive chemical cleaning products you want down here. And pink slime, which we sell by the 5 gallon bucket and eat like ice cream. We even toss in the little disposable wooden spoons.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.