Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:41 am

I had to sell all of my analogs recently, but I'm viewing this as an opportunity. After everything I've read about the Minibrute, this is at the top of my list when I'm able to buy an analog again. And AG's video demos solidified that. Looking forward to the next 2 vids.
You can't synthesize love

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Push-Pull wrote:
The thing I like it that it has that almost polivoks like bizarre noisy aggression everywhere on it. It just sounds loud, brash and saturated all the time.
Yes, but not only that.
Something very important is the level at the input of the filter. And with the faders of the oscillator section, if not set "full" all the time, you can have very smooth sounds if you want.

About the choice of the filter, in this video (in french, sorry..) you have the MiniBrute explained by his father:

The talk about the filter start et 5'45.
Enjoy !
Very interesting indeed. Basically he said that from his modular experience, he realised that the so-called 'caracter' differences from one filter to an other are not as vital as we might think. The biggest difference comes from the way the filter is being attacked - in other words, the volume at the input. He designed the Minibrute in a way that it could sound sweet and mellow when the oscillator sliders are set at low volume and very agressive when set at high volume. Usually, we raise sliders at max position, so Minibrute users should take this in consideration if they want to escape from harsh sounds.

He has specifically chosen this specific filter for the gritty sound and versatility in 4 modes. But he had to tame the resonance in a way it could self-oscillate without blowing glasses. The Ultrasaw is basically useful to simulate 2 oscillators, but he don't like how it sounds when beating at fast speed and high frequencies (even though this particular sound is quite useful in techno). And the metallizer is some sort of complex waveshaping. Finally, the brute factor is a feedback with compensated volume so the volume remains stable.
Last edited by Scories on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:31 pm

^inreresting, thanks for the rundown for non FR-speakers.
I will have to test his approach to filters. I'd often wondered about the effect of volume on a filter's response.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Scories wrote:Usually, we raise sliders at max position, so Minibrute users should take this in consideration if they want to escape from harsh sounds.
Thanks for this. It sounds like a very important point to consider... ;)
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:
Scories wrote:Usually, we raise sliders at max position, so Minibrute users should take this in consideration if they want to escape from harsh sounds.
Thanks for this. It sounds like a very important point to consider... ;)
There will be no mercy from the harsh sounds. No mercy.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 am

Scories: thank's for the translation ! Image
I will have to test his approach to filters.
I did the test with the MS20: with the osc volume at "ten", you have this typical MS20 sound. At "eight" the filter gives a more mellow and round sound.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Push-Pull wrote:Scories: thank's for the translation ! Image
I did the test with the MS20: with the osc volume at "ten", you have this typical MS20 sound. At "eight" the filter gives a more mellow and round sound.
Wait which parameter is supposed to be set lower than ten? Envelope amount? Why would the oscillator amount affect the filter?

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Kidney05 wrote:Wait which parameter is supposed to be set lower than ten? Envelope amount? Why would the oscillator amount affect the filter?
I would guess that if the VCO volume is cranked it might overdrive things slightly and produce the more harsh tone. Happens on guitar all the time. If you want to quickly dial sounds back some to mellow out a bit, turning volume down can help

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Wait which parameter is supposed to be set lower than ten? Envelope amount? Why would the oscillator amount affect the filter?
Very interesting. Seems like some basic knowledge the vast majority of us just missed. By rising the osc volume slider looking for hot outputs and high signal-to-noise ratio, maybe we overdrive filters quite often.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Scories wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:

Very interesting. Seems like some basic knowledge the vast majority of us just missed. By rising the osc volume slider looking for hot outputs and high signal-to-noise ratio, maybe we overdrive filters quite often.
But what about DSI instruments? You can't control oscillator volumes, only mix.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 am

Kidney05 wrote:
But what about DSI instruments? You can't control oscillator volumes, only mix.
You're screwed. You got suckered into a synth a non-variable gain stage between the oscillators and filter! Ha!

Just kidding. Lots of synths are like that. Just means they are 0.05% less versatile.

But not all DSIs are like that: The Evolver has volume control for all 4 oscillators.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:59 am

Scories wrote:Very interesting. Seems like some basic knowledge the vast majority of us just missed. By rising the osc volume slider looking for hot outputs and high signal-to-noise ratio, maybe we overdrive filters quite often.
This is probably the case. For instance, the mixer on the Moog Rogue is specifically labelled with overdrive if you bring the sliders above a certain point.
You can't synthesize love

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 am

At this point my biggest question on the Minibrute is how well made it is... what the build quality is like and if it will hold up to a few years' use. AG, if you still have the one you were reviewing, please play the h**l out of it and get back to us on this :) maybe throw it in a small road case and load and unload it form your car ten on twenty times, too :D

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm

The sides are in plastic, but the box (panel) is in metal. Like a Yamaha CS or a Korg MS...
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Push-Pull wrote:The sides are in plastic, but the box (panel) is in metal. Like a Yamaha CS or a Korg MS...
or many other synths made these days...