Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by loungedumore » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:46 pm

bhrama wrote:
blavatsky wrote: Do people on here have any from the first batch? Some places sounded like they had already sold the first run...
I'm really surprised no one on VSE was not amoung the first batch. Which leads me to believe maybe it was a super small, "cooler-than-you" select few (myself included of course) who received theirs, or the first batch has indeed not been let loose upon the world.
Me too + the fact that all the videos are done with proto's ( then again I guess they could be older vids waiting for the ok out the gate ? )

I think all in all Arturia were either a little timid to stick their toe in the waters or underestimated demand perhaps ?
Either way I am very excited to get my hands on this synth !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:01 pm

The funny thing is I've been actually looking for the exact opposite in a digital poly - looking at you Virus TI2 (just by saying that I fear some subvert analog-purest God will smite me with lightning for betrayal....man I have issues.... )
Off Topic
I had a TI and it was *fantastic* but I could not justify how little I used it. Highly, highly recommended best VA I ever used.

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:32 pm

loungedumore wrote:
bhrama wrote:
blavatsky wrote: Do people on here have any from the first batch? Some places sounded like they had already sold the first run...
I'm really surprised no one on VSE was not amoung the first batch. Which leads me to believe maybe it was a super small, "cooler-than-you" select few (myself included of course) who received theirs, or the first batch has indeed not been let loose upon the world.
Me too + the fact that all the videos are done with proto's ( then again I guess they could be older vids waiting for the ok out the gate ? )

I think all in all Arturia were either a little timid to stick their toe in the waters or underestimated demand perhaps ?
Either way I am very excited to get my hands on this synth !
As far as I can tell the first batch hasn't gone out yet. I was in the first day of preorders and won't get mine until late May/early June.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 am

There hasn't been any delay announcements from Arturia and its still says 'April 2012' on their site, hope they do release it this month.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:55 pm

From arturia:
MiniBrute’s VCO is classic in its sound and modern in its shape, allowing you to mix individually 4 different waveshapes, as well as white noise and external audio input
Just noticed this...has that been done much on synths before , the mixing of diff waveforms within one oscillator?
Sounds very cool, definitely increases the possibilities of that one Osc. Don't think i've seen that before on the (admittedly limited) VAs and analogs I've messed with.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:38 pm

A number of single oscillator Rolands let you mix the VCO waveforms, like the SH-09, SH-101, MC-202, Juno 6/60/106, Alpha Junos.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

collman

Post by collman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I think Arp Axxe has something like that too.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:19 pm

as well as the Octave cat
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:46 am

I actually think the main sound this thing would miss out on by being single oscillator are those monophonic chord sounds... ie taking the second oscillator up a fourth or a fifth. Other than that, playing two oscillators together can be remedied by the mixer, bass sounds with a lower octave second oscillator is taken care of by the suboscillator, and the slight chorus/detune effect can be accomplished with the saw multiplier type circuit. pretty cool there's so many ways around that single oscillator limitation... I think it actually will make it easier to program.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:12 am

Kidney05 wrote:pretty cool there's so many ways around that single oscillator limitation... I think it actually will make it easier to program.
You forgot another fun one. Freq CV out to Freqbox Freq CV in, Oscillator Out to MB Audio In. :)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm

There hasn't been any delay announcements from Arturia and its still says 'April 2012' on their site, hope they do release it this month.
c**p, american music supply just switched expected 4/20 to 6/15 :evil:
Still optimistic it's before that

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 pm

While there have been a number of synths that allowed the mixing of the waveshaping outputs, none of them have had this level of wave modulation pre-mixing. It results in a really diverse output.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:09 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:This is a well-built synth. This thing makes the knobs on a vintage Korg feel like the s**t they are. I expected a Technics SY-1010, but I got something heavy with heft and solid knobs and sliders. This is not a cheap piece of c**p. It has better feel than a lot of vintage synths you'd pay FAR more for.
But knobs do loosen up after a fair amount of use right? Not really KORG's fault as when they were brand new also were heavy with heft?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 am

volumetrik wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:This is a well-built synth. This thing makes the knobs on a vintage Korg feel like the s**t they are. I expected a Technics SY-1010, but I got something heavy with heft and solid knobs and sliders. This is not a cheap piece of c**p. It has better feel than a lot of vintage synths you'd pay FAR more for.
But knobs do loosen up after a fair amount of use right? Not really KORG's fault as when they were brand new also were heavy with heft?
Hmm, maybe.
But then again, I've used Moogs and Yamahas and Rolands etc. whose knobs are still really awesome.
Okay, yeah, no.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am

blavatsky wrote:
c**p, american music supply just switched expected 4/20 to 6/15 :evil:
Still optimistic it's before that
Got an email today - new eta is 25th May. Not too long if that turns out to be true