Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:Yeah, there's a midi to CV converter on there, you can use it to drive another synth
So, you can definitely route incoming MIDI to the CV/Gate Outs?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Ridiculous price alert: not to disparage Novamusik's already low pre-order price, but you can apply a 15% off coupon to the pre-order over at Musician's Friend, effectly making this $424...

AND ship date is Feb. 4! :headbang:
Music Maven wrote:I realize that it's hard to make a judgement call about the sound of a synth on the basis of a single YouTube video and a handful of streaming-quality patch demos.

But nothing that I have heard so far on the Arturia site really stands out. It's not that the MiniBrute sounds bad. It just doesn't sound particularly analog/warm/fat/deep to me - the MiniBrute sounds more like a Virus (which isn't a bad thing).

So you realize that the currently crop of very limited online demos suck, but are still using them as a frame of reference to compare it to a poly VA? Interesting...
Do you even post on vse bro?

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:i posted this on reddit and some guy ridiculed me for comparing it to the minitaur and saying it's not fair to compare all analog synths under $1000. WHAT? the point of comparing things is that you can see the difference-- a 600 dollar moog to a 550/500 analog monosynth is as fair as comparisons go. really awesome price point on that synth, btw...
Oh f**k forget about reddit. /r/wearethemusicmakers drives me f**k bonkers, never seen a more Anti-Music music board in my entire life. I love reddit but I never go there over music making or synthesizers, really.

/r/edmproduction is nice and cozy though :).
yeah, i have a love hate relationship with that site. oftentimes I find incredible things I'm glad I didn't miss, and on the other hand, I feel sometimes I get sucked into reading stupid jokes. It's nice for some things but ultimately I trust opinions here for gear... i feel like minded with the people here, or at least they've trained me to think like them... :lol:

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

well s**t. i'm in the slow process of getting my doepfer dyi going, so, with the midi > cv - I think it would pair nicely...

This is now on my get one list.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Ridiculous price alert: not to disparage Novamusik's already low pre-order price, but you can apply a 15% off coupon to the pre-order over at Musician's Friend, effectly making this $424...

=D>
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I played with this at NAMM yesterday, pretty nice. I kinda wished it had another octave at least. And maybe a controller neck on the left plus guitar strap pegs :) I can't wait to hear it through a nice full-range amp or a bass amp though, I only got to hear it through phones.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Ridiculous price alert: not to disparage Novamusik's already low pre-order price, but you can apply a 15% off coupon to the pre-order over at Musician's Friend, effectly making this $424...
Also not to be disparaging , but Guitar Center had it listed as Jan 27th ? They are both the same company ....so I would say both are made up place holders so they can take orders ( their system works on Back orders rather than pre orders )
So I would probably bank on the fact that Arturia's page says April .

Edit : I guess Sweetwater Is claiming to have a limited amount in late Feb ... So Who the h**l knows ?
Though I can not see SW not being first in these options ?
BTW not a huge deal but there seam to be some internal system setting that add a little touch ( wonder if they are all for the built in Keyboard only or midi in as well ? )

Last edited by loungedumore on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 pm

I'll be getting one of these. Aside from being a really inspiring little synth, the CV is also going to be very useful to me. I'm currently building a custom MeeBlip that has a CV input and multiple attenuation knobs for all 8 knobs. It looks like it could be a really interesting pairing.

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I'll be getting one of these. Aside from being a really inspiring little synth, the CV is also going to be very useful to me. I'm currently building a custom MeeBlip that has a CV input and multiple attenuation knobs for all 8 knobs. It looks like it could be a really interesting pairing.
You should really add that in a thread in the show N tell section when the time comes I was thinking of doing a Micro this summer myself with a cv ribbon(s) ala swarmatron .

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:40 am

elsongs wrote:I played with this at NAMM yesterday, pretty nice. I kinda wished it had another octave at least. And maybe a controller neck on the left plus guitar strap pegs :) I can't wait to hear it through a nice full-range amp or a bass amp though, I only got to hear it through phones.

Yes, but does it need a dongle? :mrgreen:
Stephen(2)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:01 am

Music Maven wrote:But nothing that I have heard so far on the Arturia site really stands out. It's not that the MiniBrute sounds bad. It just doesn't sound particularly analog/warm/fat/deep to me - the MiniBrute sounds more like a Virus (which isn't a bad thing).
The Steiner Parker filter isn't a Moog filter, it isn't designed to sound 'warm' and 'fat', it's designed to scream. I know this cause I've got one in my modular system. I think you have a skewed idea of what 'analogue' sounds like. It doesn't sound like anything, it's just a group of ways of making sound.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:41 am

The screamy quality of certain analogue synths is what I'm after. ;) (E.G Polivoks, Certain DSI Evolver sounds too)

Traditional smooth synth sounds are nice but don't really fit into the music I make.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 am

Yup, kudos to them for making something that is analog and agressive.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 am

loungedumore wrote:
Also not to be disparaging , but Guitar Center had it listed as Jan 27th ? They are both the same company ....so I would say both are made up place holders so they can take orders ( their system works on Back orders rather than pre orders )
So I would probably bank on the fact that Arturia's page says April .

Edit : I guess Sweetwater Is claiming to have a limited amount in late Feb ... So Who the h**l knows ?
Well, basically MF told me that they would receive these on the 28th, and then once processed, would be shipped (which probably is near enough to the previous Feb. 4 date I mentioned). I can't dispute or defend anything other than what they told me first hand. Although I didn't get a date from NM, they implied they were getting them very soon too, so... It really wouldn't make sense for the actual distributor to give a release date sooner than they were available, would it?
This is quite cool - saves adding additional hardware, but gives you all the "background" features that standard monos usually provide. I can't think of any other analog monosynth that gives you LFO reset/freerun options; nice.
Do you even post on vse bro?

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:44 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Image
This is quite cool - saves adding additional hardware, but gives you all the "background" features that standard monos usually provide. I can't think of any other analog monosynth that gives you LFO reset/freerun options; nice.
Yeah I was just saying lots of different info out there is all .

As to the editor Yep , though I kind of hope the legato , Lfo retrig , and Note priority have a Midi CC as in Live use or just on the fly use it would be less annoying , but Hey you can't have it all I guess .