Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Shleed » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:57 am

Very interesting that Arturia decided to make an analogue synth. Looks like quite a decent product and would love to have one, if only I had more room.... :(

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:27 am

Damn. Who would have thought that Arturia would be the company to finally make the affordable, knoby analog monosynth that so many people have been trying to get 'the big 3' to make? I figured Korg would be first since they were heading in that direction already with their monotribe stuff, but Arturia? What kind of parallel universe am I living in?

Fully Analog -check
knob or slider for every parameter -check
no menus -check
cool multi-mode filter -check
CV inputs -check
metal housing -check
arpeggiator -check
portable -check
has a keyboard with aftertouch -(even if it sucks) check
easy price -check

I'm a littile bummed that it only has a single oscillator, but it seems like a pretty flexible little VCO. 25 keys kinda sucks, but it's a reasonable compromise. Like someone else said, think of it as a module with a bonus keyboard for when you need it.

It seems like Arturia really hit a home run here. It's like an sh101 version 2.0. I'm seriously impressed. I bet they sell craploads of these things. I just can't believe it's Arturia who finally did it.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:30 am

holy $#@! just watched the video and cannot believe it's going to make the sub $500 price point. this may set the new standard for entry level analog. I fear it's going to be a big threat to the Lil Phatty/Slim Phatty, Mopho, heck even the MicroKorg and the Dark Energy. it may end up being the main synth to get if you have $500 to spend. not only does it seem like a great synth on its own, but even as a controller for eurorack (minijack cv/gate) they are tapping that market too. nuts!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:59 am

Projectile wrote:Fully Analog -check
I think you'll find that the envelopes and LFOs are digital, not that you can tell the difference anyway in a hardwired synth.

Anyone who's put off by the fact it has just one VCO let me remind you of the existence of the Doepfer Beauty Case and the squillions of eurorack VCOs on the market that you could plug straight into the external input on this.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:00 am

Anybody wanna buy an MEK?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:

:lol:

I just watched that vid on Musicradar's site & thought it almost sounds like an Evolver at times.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
This is quite cool - saves adding additional hardware, but gives you all the "background" features that standard monos usually provide. I can't think of any other analog monosynth that gives you LFO reset/freerun options; nice.
The Little Phatty does, buried in the menus on the latest software update...but yea, more than twice the price.

to the peeps wanting a bigger keyboard/2 vcos....BUY TWO OF THEM, THEY'RE CHEAP ENOUGH.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Hey just think. If this sells well imagine what the Big 2 (f**k roland) might do. Korg gets their rear in gear when they realise their progress into analogue synths has effectively been slingshotted past by newcomers.

Maybe they'll release a competing product.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:

very aggressive! loving it.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Anyone who's put off by the fact it has just one VCO let me remind you of the existence of the Doepfer Beauty Case and the squillions of eurorack VCOs on the market that you could plug straight into the external input on this.
You mean like this: 8-)

The guy in the video mentioned April for release is that right?

spacefolklore

Post by spacefolklore » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 pm

I've listened to some sounds and now I can say I'm not only excited but also very impressed. It sounds very different from my Little Phatty but I love that sound too. I think it would make a great doubling/supporting synth for the Moog.
I really appreciate the way the oscillator waveshape can be freely sculpted. I'm already a big fan of the continuously sweepable waveforms on the Phatty's VCOs.

With such a small keyboard it is better suited to play a supporting role but I could cross-connect it with the LP via MIDI and easily control it with the Phatty and vice versa if I wanted the new synth to take the forefront role. The CV outputs increase the MB's value as an LP's companion.

Now I'm seriously interested in the MiniBrute. Well done Arturia!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:50 pm

and Deadmau5 buys one in 3.. 2.. 1...... 8-)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:27 pm

I wonder if they've built the analogue stuff onto a chip like a mini Andromeda. Would make sense I think.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:35 pm

oo

I have been using the Monotron to filter my drum machine and considered the Mopho Keyboard or Dark Energy for wider analog functionality. Now the MiniBrute arrives and the choice is clear - a tight piece of solid kit with a keyboard (sorry, Dark Energy) and without distracting kitchen sink presets, menu layers, and sequencing (sorry, MoPho Keyboard).

Not to say I will not acquire a DK and MK in the future - I especially like the DK's modular in one box design - but the MiniBrute has, by its form and functionality, jumped into first place in my line of acquisition.

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Via Matrixsynth

And some comments via Yves Yusson the man himself:

"Thanks guys !

It's been a real pleasure designing this little beast. I hope it will meet its public."

"The enveloppes are analog (Yusynth ADSR based with some improvements) the LFO was analog in the first version but because it was necessary to synchronise it with the arpeggiator, the LFO now is digital. The vibrato is fll analo too."

"First, I want to thank you all for your enthusiasm about the MiniBrute.

Concerning the digital section yes it will be updatable, this is one of the reason why there is a USB plug in it. Note that the USB is also used to set some parameters of the keyboard section such as Velocity enable or disable and choosing the Velocity Curve, same for the Aftertouch. The default setting is Velocity disabled and Aftertouch active. Normally (I don't master the digital section of this machine) the MiniBrute can handle the Polychain mode.

Note that the Arpeggiator can also be used as a basic sequencer. In the Hold mode, you press and hold the first key of the sequence, then you just enter the other notes by pressing the corresponding keys while still holding the first note of the sequence, during this process you can change the octave range of the keyboard between entering the notes therefore you are not limited to two octaves for the sequence. You can sequence a maximum of 12 notes. Unfortunatly once playing the sequence it cannot be transposed by the keyboard because pressing a new key resets the sequence."