Alesis are making the first ever MIDI Keytar

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Alesis are making the first ever MIDI Keytar

Post by Alex E » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 am

After over six years of active forum use, and being subsequently banned (twice) from one of them (micechat) for "trolling", the direction of this thread is an example of why I still wholly respect VSE forums 5 years after I joined.

It might sting if you're a new user (I knew the feeling), but after a while you get used to it. :D
soundcloud.com/vectron

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:31 am

Alex E wrote:After over six years of active forum use, and being subsequently banned (twice) from one of them (micechat) for "trolling", the direction of this thread is an example of why I still wholly respect VSE forums 5 years after I joined.

It might sting if you're a new user (I knew the feeling), but after a while you get used to it. :D
Reported for being OT

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:35 am

Alex E wrote:After over six years of active forum use, and being subsequently banned (twice) from one of them (micechat) for "trolling", the direction of this thread is an example of why I still wholly respect VSE forums 5 years after I joined.

i'm still pretty new here and no one ever makes fun of me... i feel left out

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 am

Kidney05 wrote:

i'm still pretty new here and no one ever makes fun of me... i feel left out
STFU, n00b!

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, the first youtube video about it featured a rep from Alesis who managed to say that it was the first MIDI keytar. :lol:

WHAT?!

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am

The first *USB* Midi Remote Keyboard Controller...

I wish Yamaha re-resleased the KX-5 with a USB jack...call it the KX5U...

TRUE FACT: Nobody back in the '80s called them "keytars." I do believe one company made a MIDI remote controller and called their model "The Keytar," but generically they were not called "keytars."

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 pm

It's the first with:
1. An accelerometer. That could be fun.
2. "...that has a spectacular design." Nice syntax...
3. A drum machine and audio interface built in. Weird. Can we loose those and knock EUR100 off the price please?

Or maybe Thomann have it wrong. But I guess not even Alesis have finalised the spec- I don't see any demos of the thing actually working.
elsongs wrote:TRUE FACT: Nobody back in the '80s called them "keytars."
Nor did they say "man" or "check it out" or "what's happening"so often, or call anything more than two years old "old school".

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm

madtheory wrote:It's the first with:
Radikal Technologies Accelerator.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Z wrote:Casio CZ-101 & 1000, Korg 707 and Yamaha DX100 are synths that can be worn as keytar MIDI controllers.
The Korg Poly-800 also had strap pegs as well although that synth probably pushes the limits of usability since it was considerably larger than, say, the DX-100 or CZ-101. I do remember an early Korg ad in Keyboard magazine with someone wearing it as a keytar, though.

I think the design of that new Alesis is quite good. Reminds me somewhat of the Yamaha SHS series.

Edit: Here is the ad:

Dude looks like he is suffering from a hernia or something.

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Z wrote:Um, MIDI keytars have been around for nearly 3 decades. Personally, I have Korg RK-100, Roland AX-1 and Yamaha KX5.

Other popular models are Casio AZ-1, Roland Axis and the Lync controllers made famous by Jan Hammer.

Casio CZ-101 & 1000, Korg 707 and Yamaha DX100 are synths that can be worn as keytar MIDI controllers.

Are you guys forgeting something?

(ok, it wasn't a keytaur to begin with, but it has still been used as one since it was made)

I've always thought Alesis was a little snobby, but the whole "first MIDI keytaur" misunderstanding makes me respect them less and less. I still want it, tough.
And I call it a keytaur because most of my friends don't know what a "wireless, performance MIDI controller" is.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Miles Powerhouse wrote: And I call it a keytaur because most of my friends don't know what a "wireless, performance MIDI controller" is.
I like Roland's nomenclature, "Shoulder Synthesizer" :lol: :facepalm:

Goddamn Roland's marketing department must be a clueless bunch. Between that horrible name and the abuse of the Jupiter name those guys/girls should be deep fried and served to Korg employees so they can continue making interesting products.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm

madtheory wrote:EUR100 off the price please?

Or maybe Thomann have it wrong.
It's £199 at DV and others.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Looks like Thomann had the spec wrong.
Stab Frenzy wrote:
madtheory wrote:It's the first with:
Radikal Technologies Accelerator.
Didn't know about that one. Seems a bit more useful having it in a keyboard that is designed to be moved around a lot though, no?

Even the though features are great, probably the best on any keytar ever, I think the price could be €50 less, comparing it to regular controller keyboards. Good move though, there is definitely a market for this.

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Anyone really wanting a keytar should strap a moog liberation on for 30 minutes. Then, once blood has returned to both arms, write what they liked about it... :D
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:34 am

Miles Powerhouse wrote:
Z wrote:Um, MIDI keytars have been around for nearly 3 decades. Personally, I have Korg RK-100, Roland AX-1 and Yamaha KX5.

Other popular models are Casio AZ-1, Roland Axis and the Lync controllers made famous by Jan Hammer.

Casio CZ-101 & 1000, Korg 707 and Yamaha DX100 are synths that can be worn as keytar MIDI controllers.

Are you guys forgeting something?

Where is the midi port?

Is it just a coincidence that in this thread of keytards pretty much every second post is factually incorrect? I think not.