Roland's greatest synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Re: Roland's greatest synth?

Post by antilles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am

I'd say the Roland JD-990. More waveforms and features than the JD-800 plus the possibality to add a SR-JV80 expansion card (especially the Vintage Synth card).

Off course it lacks all the knobs and sliders of the JD-800, but it has a nice big display which makes editing fairly easy and intuitive. As a plus you can see the phycial shapes of envelopes, LFO’s and filter-slopes on the display. And off course you can control (most parameters) of the JD-990 from the JD-800

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:30 pm

balma wrote:Arrrgggghhh, meeee eat mmemberss brainzz,,, sweeeet synthheaaadzzz

Long life to V-synth!!!!!!!
Are you aware of the concept of new members joining forums but only scanning the first pages? Threads from 2009 were just as 'dated' then as they are today, discussing mostly as they are synths from 20+ years ago :) .

The only difference now being there should be more members to add their contribution/thoughts? Would you all just prefer it if everyone just stoppped posting/interacting with this forum. Would a completely dead forum with nothing but archived opinions from 4 years ago be really cool? Better to bring back an old thread than wait for a newb to start a new one about the exact same thing no?

Lastly, if the mods of this forum REALLY have a problem with bringing back threads over a week old then why not LOCK THEM as soon as they are deemed past their sell by date? Especially if it's a case of only the first 10 posters in a thread having the only relevant opinions?

Where's JohnTron when you need him to give you something to really complain about :P

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 am

Why it has to be this slice of heaven

It's HEXAGONAL

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:24 pm

I wonder if, when the JX-1 was released in '90, everyone cried and moaned that a non-programmable ROMpler was an abuse of the "JX" heritage/namesake :lol:

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm

StepLogik wrote:I wonder if, when the JX-1 was released in '90, everyone cried and moaned that a non-programmable ROMpler was an abuse of the "JX" heritage/namesake :lol:
Hahaha you have a very good point

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 am

StepLogik wrote:I wonder if, when the JX-1 was released in '90, everyone cried and moaned that a non-programmable ROMpler was an abuse of the "JX" heritage/namesake :lol:
I know I did. The JX-10 was the last decent synth they made... :)
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:40 pm

XP-10. Duh.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Tb 303, Jupiter 8, Juno 106 and Sh-101 all tied as far as i'm concerned. J8's probably the best of these, but they all have their niche.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am

balma wrote:I´ve always have wanted a JD 800. I know it was used a lot in Songs of Faith and Devotion, and around 15 years a go watched a documental with Martin Gore using it on a studio and explaining some stuff about it. It was really inspiring for me when I was starting to compose music.
Any idea what this docu was called? Would like to see that.

energetik

Post by energetik » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:24 am

Oh yeah the best synth Roland ever made??? THE TB-303 of course! ACID AIR RAID!!!!!!

No really this is a pretty subjective question within a certain set of synths. I mean some might say the classic analogs (JP 8 etc) or the ROMplers. I've never played anything other than a bog standard Roland ROMpler. I would love to get a JP 8 or a JD 990 (and 303/808/909 of course!). But this reminds me of what happens on my mtn bike forums. Some guy will ask what the best bike from XXX manufacturer is and it all comes down to what style of riding you do and what fits you best. Almost completely subjective either way.
Modulate er... MODERATE THIS!

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 am

Jupiter 8 (although I personally don't really want need one), SH-101.

I think their TR line of drum machines are probably their defining achievement (although not really synths).

Sefirosu

Post by Sefirosu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:29 pm

All the synths from the "Jupiter" serie are beasts but the best among the bests is the Jupiter 8

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:15 am

^ Yeah, I agree. The Jupiter-80 was the best 3 grand I ever spent.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm

When you look at their range over the last 40 years or so there are a lot of good synths. The trouble with a thread like this is that everybody rates their best synth on what they need and like.

I've never rated the Jupiter 8 but lots do, also the JD990 is FAR more powerful than the JD800 but lots prefer the 800 due to the interface.

My favourite is between the SH3a, 5 and 09. Really can not choose.
You always want just one more Synth!

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 pm

System 100 is probably the most regal of them, but in terms of personal experience, individuality, distinctiveness, high flexibility of both synthesis and sound mangling, I'd vote V-Synth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.