Which bands use hardware synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blasian92

Which bands use hardware synths?

Post by Blasian92 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:31 am

So ive noticed alot lately...Ive noticed that im not one of those people that can sit around with a midi keyboard and a program and make AMAZING music...I love hardware. I love the tons of knobs and just havin something infront of me and not having to also buy a laptop for something. Then I noticed that almost all Electronic music and most bands with synths in them use prgrams and laptops...*Sigh* So what im trying to get at is does anyone know bands that only use hardware synths? Just about hardware everything? I really wanna feel motivated and encouraged to do more when I can see what others do with actual synths...Thanks!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Which bands use hardware synths?

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 am

Oneohtrix Point Never
NIN
Chemical Brothers
Radiohead
Emeralds
James Blake

Wait, I don't have to list ALL of them, do I?

Xces
Band: Solo works: Xces

Post by Xces » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

-Awolnation use a Clavia Nord Wave, I've seen them perform "Sail" live with it, on my TV XD

-MGMT had some hardware until from what I hear they sold them for software, which sucks cause they had some good stuff in their set-up

-I've seen a youtube video of Radiohead performing in their studio they were setting up a Minimoog and playing a Dave Smith Prophet 08

-Trent Reznor's new band (How To Destroy Angels) have some promo videos of them using their gear, it's a really nice set-up

And there are a couple of solo electronic musicians who use a mix of hardware and software such as Deadmau5, Morgan Page and Tiesto

Alessandro Cortini is doing solo works (Known as SONOIO or Blindoldfreak) with is Buchlas and a Teenage Engineering OP-1

That's all that I can name at the moment

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 am

A lot of bands still using them, but....

what´s the deal if somebody uses soft or hardware instruments -or both- to compose or perform music? It´s just about doing something good music.

Something about Aphex Twin and his touring rig:

"One laptop computer, a little mixer, and an effects unit. It does everything I did before with live samplers and sequences"

Richard James

By the way, a lot of artists you see performing with hardware synths, do some computer stuff on their studios.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:11 am

A lot of the bands you see using a laptop and a controller live, left their stack of hardware synths at home. They use hardware synths, they just dont bringt them to gigs where they can get drinks spilled on em/stolen/etc

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:18 am

I thought that the vast majority of bands do.

What I don't like is when they downgrade the quality of their synths for live applications. I rememer when I saw David Bowie live (Earthling tour), the keyboardist was playing on a Yamaha CS1x, and the sound was quite lame compared to the album.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 am

I don't think laptops or softsynths are bad, since I love what musicians like Skrillex do with FM8 or Massive, but it's pretty boring to watch someone perform with software. it's much more fun to watch when people play live, even if the backing tracks are prerecorded because you know they can f**k up at any time (but they don't).

also I think it's more impressive when musicians are limited with a few hardware synths rather than have unlimited power with softsynths, even with their studio work. Martial Canterel supposedly performs live with the same gear that he uses to record with, and knowing how limited the features of vintage gear are, that's way more impressive than Skrillex even if I love brostep/dubstep.

part of the magic of music is how it's made. it's even cooler if they don't use midi. or just use minimal midi. some people don't really care, which is understandable. but I totally love watching analog music performed live. it's just more special.

I think John Foxx still uses all hardware gear right? Solvent uses a lot of analog and hardware too, but maybe not exclusively. also Richard Devine. http://vimeo.com/richarddevine/videos

there's also this other thread where I was looking for pop bands who use modular http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45723

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 am

Well bands can use all kinds of stuff in the studio and I wouldn't be suprised if hardware synths popped up. I'm sure it happens nowadays more often than we know. Especially with drum machines, and the real analog synths or VAs that you can run drums and all kinds of things through, as far as experimentation goes that's invaluable like what Portishead and the Korg MS-20 did. Computer-based rules the roost when it comes to efficiency though. Miller from Secrettes uses his JP-8000 as a primary synth and they're a modern band.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 am

like i said, a lot of bands especially smaller bands use hardware in the studio and laptops and controllers at the show, it reduces setup complexity and keeps things from disappearing...

examples:

VNV nation- live setup is two controller keyboards, three laptops, and a set of drum pads. In the studio, they have a lot of hardware including a Poly Evolver Rack....

Assemblage 23- live setup is a virus C, a drum kit, and backing tracks coming off an ipod. In the studio, uses various hardware synths including a Pro-One

etc...

when you can't hire a dozen people to do your setups, you tend to leave the thousand dollar plus synths that are difficult to replace at home. NiN can do synths live because they had two, sometimes three, of all of them. And even then, they had backing tracks, loops and softsynths going through MainStage... (there was actually a feature video for MainStage done about NiN)

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:35 am

Not a band, but Deadmau5 uses many hardware instruments.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 am

Blasian92 wrote:Then I noticed that almost all Electronic music and most bands with synths in them use prgrams and laptops...
What? I don't think you're paying attention.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 am

i really don't mean to touch myself too much but my group Inhalt uses nothing but hardware synths and records (most of the time) to analogue tape. We're on an independent label here in san francisco. Also, some other groups here in the area are using a lot of hardware. I highly recommend checking out The Soft Moon. Great people and excellent music as well driven by some nice vintage gear ;-)

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 am

One of my favourite bands is Xeno and Oaklander,from Brooklyn,NY.
I have seen them live and they are quite amazing-all analogue synths.

Here is a short but very interesting docu from Motherboard TV.
http://motherboard.vice.com/2010/1/20/e ... -musicians
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

winnebago

Post by winnebago » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

Chromeo hardware synths, thought the in the studio they did for future music was amazing.

Also rex the dog uses a few hardware synths.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 pm

The thing is who cares?

If the music is bad it is bad regardless of them making it on a pile of vintage gear or a laptop with just Logic.

Vince Clarke is a prime example, he has a gift for catchy tunes for the last 30 odd years. Started on analogues, went to digital, back to analogue, then did an album with just plug ins and now mixes all types of gear in the studio. But over the years he has still managed to turn out more hit records than many can ever dream of and had 4 top acts.

Worry about the music and not what other people have and the way they use it because you will find people in EVERY camp when it comes to equipment.
You always want just one more Synth!