The Poly 800 Appreciation Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Re: The Poly 800 Appreciation Thread

Post by elmosexwhistle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 am

thanks for the nice comments everyone :) i'm getting me mono/poly next week so will be doing a demo for that too!
Alex E wrote:The roses sequence sent cutting chills down my spine.
that's a reworked, minimalist version of the chorus to "Roses":

http://soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle/el ... stle-roses

Totally came up with that chord sequence by accident :shock:

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Glad I found this thread, as I saw the version of it over on KSS but cannot respond due to a temporary state of bannage.

Nice video, nice playing and some lovely sounds from the Poly 800, but there is definitely a severe lack of crossdressing.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 am

Awesome video! Poly800 was my first synth, nice to know its still getting respect!

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Purity_Control wrote:but there is definitely a severe lack of crossdressing.
only on fridays ;)

so how'd you get banned?

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Allegedly I posted pron with nudity in it, well I swear she was not nude at all but some people do not agree with me that high heels and a dog collar count as clothing. :facepalm:

Then I got unbanned and accidentally banned again after I photoshopped a figleaf to the offending part of the next pic, but didn;t realise that even a tiny hint of a nipple also counts as nudity. :facepalm:

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:37 pm

some people just can't handle nipples

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 pm

gearfixer wrote:I just picked up a Poly 800 and a EX 800 last weekend. I was surprised at how much I liked it and how good it sounds for a such a basic synth. I use to laugh at it before and would have not picked them up if they were not so cheap just $125 for both.
Sorry to resurrect this, but I actually spotted these when they were up on Kijiji. You got a good deal! :lol:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Nice piece but it kind of reinforces my own conceptions about the Poly-800, not changes them...

:thumbright:

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:24 am

that it sounds awesome? :p
w00t

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm

JayEm wrote:that it sounds awesome? :p
Well, people can delude themselves into thinking anything.

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:20 pm

It's really got its own sound, and I have a hard time making it deviate from that...mainly cause all the settings are way out of wack, some of the values are even beyond the normal maximum! You'd think that might have some cool effect, but for the most part it just sounds like an someone playing a long, bowed note on a dusty old cello, then suddenly dropping it into a vat of bubbling acid. For some reason that specific quality seems to be mine's signature...

I may look at fixing it up, but as of now, mine's relegated to the corner with a snapped key and some ugly holes where the filter mod was performed. I've also gotta change one of the pots I put in as well, and it'd be cool to do the other mod that's available (an FM mod maybe? crazy stuff). I'd really like to make this an actual performable keytar, so I'm thinking I might try to find a way to build a custom handle or "performance section" by the X-Y stick so you can to really wail out on it. Maybe mod a monotron into it for lulz. So far though, I've really gotta continue mastering my current gear before I can focus on side projects like Ugly Poly.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm

My dear Poly 800 was the first keyboard I bought, more than 10 years ago now. Yes, it can sound simultaneously cold, cheesy, too sharp and very 80s, but I love it and probably always will. I do have to admit that one reason I love it is that it's real analog (DCOs notwithstanding), and it was $100 when I bought it. That is a low entry price. And it does have sound great sounds. Yes, it's limited, but it has character. And I've seen some of my favorite bands use it in the studio and live on stage (Soviet in 2000, and supposedly DM has used it, guessing on Violator).

It has some seriously nasty bass. Mine is not modded. I might do it someday, but even without the mod, it still has that Korg character. It's created a kind of Korg loyalty that is lasting for me.

Cheesy, sentimental, I know. But yes, I like it. Like the Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles, I love it.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:49 pm

I lucked out and got one for $75 from a local shop. It was sold as not working, but it just needed a set of batteries and for the patches to be reloaded.

Has anyone used their 800 as a MIDI controller for other gear?

clegg

Post by clegg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm

That was awesome.

My p800 isn't in the best of shapes. Reverse keys model but I have to hit it a few times to get it running decent.

Still, great little synth.

My personal favorite factory patches must be # 21, 45, and 61.

Btw, what drum machien are you using on this track? Sounds great

ahaigh01
Gear: Juno60, JX8P, Emulator II, FZ-1 FZ-20m, TX81Z, 01W, K2000, SY77, RX11, DR110, R8M, D4, MIDIBASS, Akai CD3000, CZ1000, Atari MegaST2, Mac Classic, PC
Band: The Advance

Post by ahaigh01 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm considering buying one again, since I've been on this kick of re-buying all the 80's gear I once had :D It's certainly not a "great" synth, but it has a character and I think it looks pretty cool and sleek, particularly the MKII blue color scheme. At this point I can forgive the things I hated about it back in the day - the single VCF in particular. The 800 was an important piece of gear in the democratization of home studios and the MIDI explosion of the 80s - it was the first really cheap synth of its kind. I bought one as a second synth but ended up selling it because of its limitations. Bu now for some reason I really want one again.....