Trancy synth leads. Non-analogue synths only?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
filtersweeperVCO
Gear: Voyager, MF-102, VX-351, Waldorf Pulse +, Micro Q, JX-3P, Juno 106, MPC 1000, KP3, Sherman filterbank 2, and stuff.
Band: Filtersweeper

Trancy synth leads. Non-analogue synths only?

Post by filtersweeperVCO » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I need to make some some trancy synth leads for house/electro. My synths are all analogue. Moogs, Roland's, waldorfs etc. I'm pretty sure virus/microkorg type synths are best for that. Can I infact make those trancy leads with my analogue stuff? They're all monophonic (for the most part). Tutorial vid
Links appreciated.
Synths: Moog voyager, Roland JX-3P, Roland Juno 106
Other: Akai MPC 1000, Korg Koass pd. 3, Sherman filterbank 2, Hammond T-211,Yorkville LS 800 (for bass)

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Re: Trancy synth leads. Non-analogue synths only?

Post by Synthacon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Since the Virus/MicroKorg are only pretend analogue synths of course you can do trance stuff on the real thing. After all they are all just subtractive synthesis. The JP8000 supersaw is hard to do but not impossible either....

Here is a nice trance lead on a MIDImini

And here is Supersaw on a Prophet 10

You always want just one more Synth!

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Oh and your Micro Q is FULL of Trance stuff!!!!
You always want just one more Synth!

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Jupiter-6

UNISON DETUNE
Monkey business since 2007!

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 pm

From your gearlist, I would say send the same midi notes simultaneously to your Voyager, JX3P and Juno-106, all set to sawtooth with open filter at various slight tuning differences ;)

That's 6 oscillators in total. Plenty.
Monkey business since 2007!

Audity
Gear: Access Virus A, Waldorf Rocket, Alesis Micron, Yamaha DX7, etc. ...circuit bent and modded pieces
Band: (in progress!)

Post by Audity » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:57 pm

The thing about trance leads is that many of them are quite digitally distorted/bit-crunched and laden with delays and reverbs, that an analog synth just by itself can't quite mimic some of the sonic characteristics and qualities you are used to hearing in trance.

But yes, you can absolutely achieve trance lead-type sounds on an analog synth. Just set your VCOs to sawtooth, space them out over a couple octaves, and detune them slightly to beef up their sound. I'll usually use a 24dB/oct LFP with a medium to high cutoff. Attack 0%, Sustain/decay 100%, and release can be set anywhere depending on how much "tail" you want.
But it is ALL about experimentation to get the sound YOU want. But this is where I'll usually start when I'm trying to achieve these types of sounds.

Additionally, processing your synth through external reverbs/delays will pay dividends in trying to achieve trance sounds.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:38 am

I'll just add, effects processors are a great way to "enhance" what your analog synths can do. The above advice should get you most the way there- maybe add some reverb/delay and/or some modulation effects, (chorus/phaser/flanger) and you're on your way.
Bassist, synth junkie

filtersweeperVCO
Gear: Voyager, MF-102, VX-351, Waldorf Pulse +, Micro Q, JX-3P, Juno 106, MPC 1000, KP3, Sherman filterbank 2, and stuff.
Band: Filtersweeper

Post by filtersweeperVCO » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 pm

All good info. I do remember seeing many layers of different synths on a swedish house maffia tutorial once. I guess I was looking for a "1 patch" solution. LOL I do have the nord modular so that may be possible with a complex patch except I still haven't figured out how to get the editor to communicate with the synth. :(
Synths: Moog voyager, Roland JX-3P, Roland Juno 106
Other: Akai MPC 1000, Korg Koass pd. 3, Sherman filterbank 2, Hammond T-211,Yorkville LS 800 (for bass)