Ensoniq SQ1plus

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Ensoniq SQ1plus

Post by BluMunk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I just bought this synth last week for $70 (and it came with a case, which I'd been meaning to buy for my Alpha Juno).

I plugged it in, and everything works. The battery needs replacing per the warning on bootup, and some of the key contacts need cleaning, but otherwise it seems to be in perfect working and cosmetic condition. And, it came with a ROM cartridge as well.

So, I'm trying to find info and thoughts on this, but the SQ1plus seems almost non-existent online, aside from one or two youtube vids. Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? Any gems of functionality?

In a quick fiddle-through, I found that it has a chorus I really like. It also has a jack in the back marked CV . . . which would be cool if I owned anything else that used CV.

Thoughts? I will probably end up cleaning it up and then trying to sell it again to break even (having earned a free keyboard case), but I want to have some fun with it while I have it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Ensoniq SQ1plus

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:35 pm

The CV input is for the Ensoniq expression pedal (model CVP-1).

The + indicates it has the expanded piano samples. Yes folks, they doubled the sample ROM to hold one new sound. OK, it was a better sounding piano sample but nothing too exciting by today's standards.

Gems of functionality?

-- Nice 8-track sequencer
-- Can be used as an 8-zone MIDI controller
-- Transwaves are the major source of timbral variety, Ensoniq's version of wavetable/vector synthesis
-- Up to 21 voice polyphony
-- All "reverb +" effects allow using the reverb only (bypassing the second effect) so you can assign a second effect to one part in multitimbral setups while still providing reverb to the other parts
-- The RAM cards are the exact same type as used by Kawai K5 (and perhaps other synths)
-- Multimode filter with no resonance (typical for the period)

That's all I can remember after all these years :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm

I think the + version took the polophony up from 21 to 32 notes, though my memory is a bit foggy on old ensoniq stuff...

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Nope, that would be the "SQ-1 Plus 32-voice". The standard Plus has only 21 voices.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Ry-Fi is correct, the 32 voice versions say 32-voice on the front panel.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 pm

I had a SQ1 plus and it was my only synth during several years , bought it on 1994 if I can remember.
Even in those years, there were almost no information or accesories for it (besides Internet was something unknowm for me).

Sequencer was 7500 notes. Synthesis options are very limited. SQ1 plus is almost a transition from keyboard arranger to a synth. It was the cheapest Ensoniq synth on those years.

For $70 is a great deal.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma