ever use only one synth for a full song? (Solvent)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

ever use only one synth for a full song? (Solvent)

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:11 am

have you ever used only one synth for an entire song or album?
this Solvent video is totally inspiring me.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: ever use only one synth for a full song? (Solvent)

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 am

Pretty much all my solo stuff these days is modular + octatrack. Not sure if modulars count as 'one synth' though.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 am

totally. why not. it would be no different than using a multitimbral VA. although using just one analog monosynth seems particularly impressive. I've never actually tried that before.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:totally. why not.
Just seems way too powerful, especially when used with an Octatrack or any other multitracking. Depending how you patch things it's like having heaps of different synths.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 am

yeah even when I only use two VCO's on a modular, it can blow away any two VCO patch on a VA. :lol:

I wonder what the most effective way is to compose and record using only one monosynth today, if you don't use a computer? I hardly use my computer for music since it's too far from my setup. I assume Solvent probably used software to multitrack. does this mean I would have to get something like a multitrack recorder if I wanted to try this? are there even any affordable ones?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 am

Done this a few times, usually just for fun or out of laziness :)

Here's a track I did about 12 years ago using only a Korg MS-10 for all sounds including drums, recorded on a Yamaha AW2816 16 track recorder :

http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.co ... ad-science
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 am

Psy_Free wrote:Done this a few times, usually just for fun or out of laziness :)

Here's a track I did about 12 years ago using only a Korg MS-10 for all sounds including drums, recorded on a Yamaha AW2816 16 track recorder :

wow cool. is any of that synched electronically or is it all just played by hand? I'm still wondering how to lay down drums then lay down the bass and rhythm other than just by playing everything by hand. I guess maybe if I use a sequencer and set the bpm the same on the tracks that need synching?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:31 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Psy_Free wrote:Done this a few times, usually just for fun or out of laziness :)

wow cool. is any of that synched electronically or is it all just played by hand? I'm still wondering how to lay down drums then lay down the bass and rhythm other than just by playing everything by hand. I guess maybe if I use a sequencer and set the bpm the same on the tracks that need synching?
The drum parts & bass and a couple of other bits were sequenced using an an EA-1 via a MIDI to CV box, the pads, occasionaly bleeps & leads were played by hand. Obviously had to multitrack the drums as I can't tweek knobs that quickly.

EDIT : actually, thinking back the bass was played by hand too.
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:15 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:yeah even when I only use two VCO's on a modular, it can blow away any two VCO patch on a VA. :lol:

I wonder what the most effective way is to compose and record using only one monosynth today, if you don't use a computer? I hardly use my computer for music since it's too far from my setup. I assume Solvent probably used software to multitrack. does this mean I would have to get something like a multitrack recorder if I wanted to try this? are there even any affordable ones?
The most affordable solution would probably be to move your computer closer to your synth I reckon. ;)

If you're really keen on the idea of spending money the octatrack is a pretty amazing box which can work as a fairly capable multitracker, although you need to record stuff in small chunks to fit the memory. You can then flip between the loops with parameters locks as you play back though, and have full sequence control of effects and such. It's also got an eight track midi sequencer for sequencing the things you want to record as well. I realise this is one of those pretty out there suggestions, like when people want a delay with modulation and I suggest an evolver desktop, but you can do a lot more with an octatrack than a multitracker.

Or you could, you know, move the one synth closer to your computer.

Great track, loved it.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:I wonder what the most effective way is to compose and record using only one monosynth today, if you don't use a computer? I hardly use my computer for music since it's too far from my setup. I assume Solvent probably used software to multitrack. does this mean I would have to get something like a multitrack recorder if I wanted to try this? are there even any affordable ones?
There are plenty of older multitrack recorders around if you wanted one, such as the Yamaha AW2816, Korg D3200,Roland VS2840 etc which can be picked up at reasonable prices. Also, you can get a new Tascam 2488 Neo for about £600 or so (they now come with 160GB hard drives). It depends what you are comfortable with using I guess.
Stab Frenzy wrote:Great track, loved it.
Many thanks, I only re-discovered that track recently by accident going through some old Yamaha AW2816 backups on CD-RWs which I planned to overwrite. :)
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:39 pm

I love the idea and the solvent video is great (had already seen it on Muffs this morning). I've done this a few times just for fun (never saved it though), I use ableton to record which is awesome for these kinds of things (most of the time I made the drum patterns via sequencing, but sometimes also just recorded a single sample which went into the sampler then).

I have the intention to do an EP with two long tracks for some time now, one track only with MS20+10, one only with SH101... Plus effects of course :) Should be fun and I'll post it somewhere on VSE when it's actually done (hope I'll come around to do it sometime this year).

Of course it really gets cool when you can claim that the particular synth used to belong to somebody like Aphex Twin... :headbang: I'm a bit jealous, even though it doesn't matter at all...

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm

These days, I am quite obsessed with this idea; selleing everything I have (xt, z1, sh-101, sh-1000, minikorg, micromoog, jx-3p, pedals and various instruments...) for one small but very powerful modular synth (serge animoo + sequencer). Having such a powerful sound generator that could hold on a small table would be a relief. But this could be a mistake too.

MikeRochip
Gear: DSI Evolver, Alesis Micron x2, Korg EA-1, Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Casio HT-3000, Casio WK-1630
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by MikeRochip » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Pretty much everything I've done since 2009 has been 100% Alesis Micron, mostly because I don't think anything else I have sounds good with it. My only other VA(Korg EA-1) sounds awful in a mix with it, and the analog/hybrid stuff doesn't sound right with it either.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Roger O'Donnell did his album "The Truth in Me" entirely with a Voyager.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Psy_Free, now that I'm home from work I had time to check your tune. Very nice, like it a lot :) great snare :D
Scories wrote:These days, I am quite obsessed with this idea; selleing everything I have (xt, z1, sh-101, sh-1000, minikorg, micromoog, jx-3p, pedals and various instruments...) for one small but very powerful modular synth (serge animoo + sequencer). Having such a powerful sound generator that could hold on a small table would be a relief. But this could be a mistake too.
Dude, I already told you, don't sell your stuff. You will regret it. I thought you had 4k 'left over' anyways? Just get that Serge or the A6 :twisted: