ever use only one synth for a full song? (Solvent)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Re: ever use only one synth for a full song? (Solvent)

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm

pflosi wrote:Psy_Free, now that I'm home from work I had time to check your tune. Very nice, like it a lot :) great snare :D
Scories wrote:These days, I am quite obsessed with this idea; selleing everything I have (xt, z1, sh-101, sh-1000, minikorg, micromoog, jx-3p, pedals and various instruments...) for one small but very powerful modular synth (serge animoo + sequencer). Having such a powerful sound generator that could hold on a small table would be a relief. But this could be a mistake too.
Dude, I already told you, don't sell your stuff. You will regret it. I thought you had 4k 'left over' anyways? Just get that Serge or the A6 :twisted:

Sure, sure, I still have them all! :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Kind of a silly question. When I started out, I had only one synth and I made songs with it. It's actually a cool idea if you think synthesizers are able to "create any sound" =D>
Psy_Free wrote:There are plenty of older multitrack recorders around if you wanted one, such as the Yamaha AW2816, Korg D3200,Roland VS2840 etc which can be picked up at reasonable prices.
I see older multitrackers around all the time selling for under $500...some as cheap as $100. Computer recording has trashed their resale value much as it did to hardware samplers :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Limitations can force people to do use only one synth.

In my opinion, this can help a lot to know very well an instrument, and also to realize about what kind of tasks or sounds it can do very good, and wich ones are not its specialty.

I have done this a lot. Have full songs made only on a Electribe EMX, or a ESX1, or a command station, MC505, Roland JP8080, MC307, and Yamaha EX5.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:yeah even when I only use two VCO's on a modular, it can blow away any two VCO patch on a VA. :lol:

I wonder what the most effective way is to compose and record using only one monosynth today, if you don't use a computer? I hardly use my computer for music since it's too far from my setup. I assume Solvent probably used software to multitrack. does this mean I would have to get something like a multitrack recorder if I wanted to try this? are there even any affordable ones?
The most affordable solution would probably be to move your computer closer to your synth I reckon. ;)

If you're really keen on the idea of spending money the octatrack is a pretty amazing box which can work as a fairly capable multitracker, although you need to record stuff in small chunks to fit the memory. You can then flip between the loops with parameters locks as you play back though, and have full sequence control of effects and such. It's also got an eight track midi sequencer for sequencing the things you want to record as well. I realise this is one of those pretty out there suggestions, like when people want a delay with modulation and I suggest an evolver desktop, but you can do a lot more with an octatrack than a multitracker.

Or you could, you know, move the one synth closer to your computer.
I think I might just have to - when I upgrade from my current computer which should be soonish. it's too hard to resist these days. maybe just for recording and mixing.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm

It's pretty amazing that he did an entire album with a Yamaha Cs5. I've done a few tracks like this. I had the most fun doing a track entirely with the Minikorg 700s. Yeah, it kinda sounded like The Normal though :).

Kinda sad to see the guy has never really made it, but I suppose it's due to lack of playing out. I saw him in Cleveland 4-5 years ago which was ok, but maybe just didn't translate well. His music isn't exactly "exciting", it's more laid back, and good for listening to while working on artwork etc. I think he also fell into the trap of being a parody of himself. From album to album, I never heard a lot of progression, idealisticly or musically.

Good video thanks for posting.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm

I've tried the minimal setup/one synth thing several times, first with a nord modular g1, and later with a virus c. Sadly it never worked for me. I much rather have several small cheap synths than one pricey one. I can imagine getting by with just a command station, alesis micron, or any synth with a dedicated multitrack sequencer though.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 pm

If a synth has multitrack sequencer, you can make songs with it. I started to compose music with a very low budget. I had no choice but to use one synth. I did several songs using a Ensoniq SQ-1 plus (with a 7000 notes sequencer). I learned using workstations, taking to the limit, synths like the Yamaha W7, Roland XP80, even keyboard arrangers from the Yamaha PSR series.
It was a nightmare in some cases, but enthusiasm was a good relief in those years.

Today I have lots of synths with sequencer onboard. You get more complicated each time you add a synth to your setup. Better sounds, more resources, but things become messy the more gear you use.

If a synth has as big polyphony, good synthesis engine and a intuitive multitrack sequencing, I love it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Sure, we generally have way too much gear.
I whish I could put all my studio devices on just a regular kitchen table. :mrgreen:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 am

pflosi wrote:
Scories wrote:These days, I am quite obsessed with this idea; selleing everything I have (xt, z1, sh-101, sh-1000, minikorg, micromoog, jx-3p, pedals and various instruments...) for one small but very powerful modular synth (serge animoo + sequencer). Having such a powerful sound generator that could hold on a small table would be a relief. But this could be a mistake too.
Dude, I already told you, don't sell your stuff. You will regret it. I thought you had 4k 'left over' anyways? Just get that Serge or the A6 :twisted:
Totally disagree, selling off a lot of stuff to focus on one or two really great synths is a really liberating thing that leads to a great increase in productivity. Particularly if it's something as flexible as a modular.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

Yes.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 am

Jabberwalky wrote: Kinda sad to see the guy has never really made it, but I suppose it's due to lack of playing out. I saw him in Cleveland 4-5 years ago which was ok, but maybe just didn't translate well. His music isn't exactly "exciting", it's more laid back, and good for listening to while working on artwork etc. I think he also fell into the trap of being a parody of himself. From album to album, I never heard a lot of progression, idealisticly or musically.

Good video thanks for posting.
Even sadder seeing him complain about it. :?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
pflosi wrote:
Totally disagree, selling off a lot of stuff to focus on one or two really great synths is a really liberating thing that leads to a great increase in productivity. Particularly if it's something as flexible as a modular.
I don't see why you need to 'sell everything' to be able to focus on one synth? It's a matter of self-control :mrgreen:

Especially if you're not in desperate need for the money...

And he mentioned in the other thread that he loves all those synths he has.

But yeah, maybe I'm just generally not the seller type of guy...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 am

pflosi wrote:I don't see why you need to 'sell everything' to be able to focus on one synth? It's a matter of self-control :mrgreen:

Especially if you're not in desperate need for the money...

And he mentioned in the other thread that he loves all those synths he has.

But yeah, maybe I'm just generally not the seller type of guy...
I found that it was a very liberating feeling to sell off a lot of stuff that wasn't being used all that much, and that feeling pushed me into a particularly creative period. I had actually been only using a few synths for over a year before selling things, stuff like my V-Synth were just sitting unused in cases, it wasn't a matter of self-control at all. The point at which the excess synths were sold was the difference, not the point when I specifically focused on one synth. It's kind of like that great feeling when you do a really good clean up of the house. :thumbleft: Even the extra space made a big difference.

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 am

Right on! I need some fresh air. I might keep just one or two and totally change my musical mindset.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
pflosi wrote:
I'd hate to say it, but my venture into modular territory was somewhat disappointing. Over the past year I've tried out tons of modules and drastically changed my modular set up three times. In the end I decided on a doepfer a-111-5 (basically a complete synthesizer voice in one module) paired with a couple modules unique to the format. If anything it gave me an appreciation for patch memory. I don't completely regret starting a system, but I should have listened to my instincts, rather than to Gassers building ridicules 18+ unit eurorack systems.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.