Men Without Hats

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Moped10
Band: a bunch (too many to list in t

Men Without Hats

Post by Moped10 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:20 pm

anyone know what they're using, synthwise?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNOlk_7FfFA

JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Re: Men Without Hats

Post by JNeidlinger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:16 pm

In that video, its either a Yamaha CS-50 or CS-60. I do not know them well enough to tell them apart in that particular video.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Here's a list of what synths/keyboards & drum machines were used on MWH's first LP:

Rhythm Of Youth (music recorded in Jan-March '82):

Yamaha CS-50 (lead on Security, strings on I Like, brass on Antarctica etc.)
Prophet 5 (first used on Safety Dance, layered ontop of the CS-50 for the chords)
Roland SH-2 w/CSQ-100 (or CSQ-600) - basslines
Hohner clavinet (octave bleeps in Safety Dance etc.)
Linn LM-1 & Roland CR-78
some guitar synth from Prophet (eg on Boys go guitar solo)

There may be some Polymoog on there too but Stefan wasn't quite sure.

Stefan Doroschuk: "The Prophet 5 was brought in for the first time during the SD sessions, George Klaus came in himself and programmed it for us! He shoulda got a credit on the album, sorry George. "
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Moped10

Post by Moped10 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:44 pm

wow! I love a quick AND informed response! ;)

The Yamaha was the one I couldn't ID- No experience with those, but I love the sound!

Now that I have your e-ear, how about the lead on Berlin's "The Metro"? Odyssey?

and thanks!

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Moped10 wrote:wow! I love a quick AND informed response! ;)

The Yamaha was the one I couldn't ID- No experience with those, but I love the sound!

Now that I have your e-ear, how about the lead on Berlin's "The Metro"? Odyssey?

and thanks!
Micke - correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe the bassline sequence was a Roland System 100 being triggered by the TR-808 and the rest is Prophet-5 - the lead most certainly is the famous sync preset in unison mode.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes, I'm sure you're right about that, calyx.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Moped10

Post by Moped10 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 pm

rest is Prophet-5 - the lead most certainly is the famous sync preset in unison mode.
I didn't know the P5 could sound so nicely "harsh"!
Sort of off topic, but I wonder how many of the earlier new wave bands could AFFORD such gear, being in their 20s/early 30s? Were many of them independently wealthy? I know when I was younger and doing music full time, as in no day job, it was all I could do to replace strings on my bass! Thompson Twins, Gary Numan, early Duran Duran, Human League, etc., how'd they manage to start off with not one incredibly expensive synth, but multiple ones!?

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

IIRC, the System 100 belonged to the producer. As for the Prophet, I'm not sure how the average, fledgling New Wave band could afford it. I'm assuming they had a record company advance.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Moped10 wrote:
rest is Prophet-5 - the lead most certainly is the famous sync preset in unison mode.
You haven't lived until you've heard the P5 in unison - especially if using oscillator sync or filter FM. The latter, when tweaked right and in unison mode, can shear your head off - raspy and sharp like a rusty scythe :twisted:

Moped10

Post by Moped10 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 pm

especially if using oscillator sync or ... sty scythe

ack! I could've had a P5 6 years ago for 500$- doh!!
Can the DSI '08 pull it off?

bigman2005

Post by bigman2005 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Micke you already posted this info on another forum and it is still wrong. According to Ivan, lead singer and Stefan's brother:

"No Prophets were used on the first album to my recollection. Allan McCarthy played that line so I don't know precisely, but the Polymoog was his main keyboard at the time. And yes, everything is played manually, no sequencers."

"We used a Polymoog for a lot of the string and brass sounds, but no Dr. Click."

Stefan's info is incorrect.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 am

who the h**l really knows, anyway.

unless you were there and made accurate docs of the sessions, then you must rely on fuzzy and often misleading photos, 'probably'-type recollections going back 30+yrs. , e-mails from people you've never even met etc
best to just get on with it and not obsess over the trivia

it's not worth being a graceless j**k about either 'bigman'.
you got some nerve talking to Micke that way, noob.
good day.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:57 am

Micke wrote:Hohner clavinet (octave bleeps in Safety Dance etc.)
Wow, no s**t. Wouldn't have guessed that at all.

"I Like" such a kickass song, BTW. Great LM-1 showcase there.

ADDENDUM: anyone catch these guys on their tour last year? Curious if any old keys in their touring rig these days.

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:50 am

Moped10 wrote:
Sort of off topic, but I wonder how many of the earlier new wave bands could AFFORD such gear, being in their 20s/early 30s? Were many of them independently wealthy? I know when I was younger and doing music full time, as in no day job, it was all I could do to replace strings on my bass! Thompson Twins, Gary Numan, early Duran Duran, Human League, etc., how'd they manage to start off with not one incredibly expensive synth, but multiple ones!?
Regarding Duran Duran I know that Nick Rhodes' parents bought his first synth for him - a Wasp. Nick had quite a few synths prior to Seven And The Ragged Tiger and even prior to the success of Rio though and among them, the Jupiter 8 and Prophet 5 were certainly not cheap so my guess, and this is *only* a guess, is that the Berrow brothers who DD received patron support from may have bought some of Nick's synth gear - again though, that's only a guess.

Stefan D

Post by Stefan D » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

As I mentioned earlier, it was the first time that we used a Pro5, and I remember because George Klaus came to program it. I don't remember using a polymoog, but there's a good chance we did as it was Allan's keyboard and it was likely with us at the studio. But geez, that was 30 years ago and I'm sure that neither Ivan or myself can even remember what we had for lunch 2 weeks ago!
But to join in on how bands managed to pay for good gear back then, I'll tell you that MWH was started by Ivan and a friend of his, Jeremie Arrobas, from the private school that we were going to at the time, and his friend's father gave them $25,000 to go out and buy gear and that was $25k in around 1978-79!! Anyone who joined afterwards had to buy their own s**t, and one guy even took out a $5k loan to buy a Pro5.
And no, they didn't use any of the old gear on the last tour, as I have most of it! And everything except 1 Pro5 doesn't work!!