Men Without Hats

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Men Without Hats

Post by Micke » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for joining this thread, Stefan :)

I'm sure you're right about the Prophet 5 being used on your first album because I can hear that synth throughout.
So you still have the CS-50 and the Prophet, what about the Roland SH-2?

Do you remember who owned the Korg PS-3200 seen in the National 7 video:

I also spotted a Korg Lambda and what appears to be a Korg KR-55 drum machine in this clip.

cheers,
Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm

How cool is that, a bloke from MWH. ! :ugeek: :mrgreen:

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I kept my mouth shut about bigman's error yesterday, but glad to know it's been confirmed ;)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Micke wrote:Thanks for joining this thread, Stefan :)

I'm sure you're right about the Prophet 5 being used on your first album because I can hear that synth throughout.
Well it's definitely got the P5 thang on Safety Dance. Has to be a dual oscillator analogue, and not a double tracked thing- so not the CS60 and definitely not the divide down Polymoog.That song is probably the first pop song I ever heard. I'm eternally grateful it was a great one. :)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Micke wrote:Thanks for joining this thread ;)
Indeed - he's stopped an argument that could've raged on for weeks/years. :D

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:19 am

madtheory wrote:
Micke wrote:Thanks for joining this thread, Stefan :)

Well it's definitely got the P5 thang on Safety Dance. Has to be a dual oscillator analogue, and not a double tracked thing- so not the CS60 and definitely not the divide down Polymoog.That song is probably the first pop song I ever heard. I'm eternally grateful it was a great one. :)
I agree - far too many filter-articulated patches that no Polymoog could reproduce. Besides, once you've had one for many years, you start to understand its sonic signature ;)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Moped10
Band: a bunch (too many to list in t

Post by Moped10 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 am

Don't I get credit for starting this thread!? :lol: just kidding!
Thanks to my love of that song, now I'm prowling Ebay for gear I shouldn't go into more debt for!

mute

Post by mute » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Such an under appreciated band these days. Antartica was always a favorite. Many people think of the hits (saftey dance/pop goes the world/etc) but MWH had so much more to offer.. much of it enjoyably off-kilter and with just a hint of experimentalism.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Does anyone here have the "silver collection" CD/DVD? if so, please send me a PM
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:57 am

Great albums ! Great music !!!

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:00 am

I was gonna jump in on this one- I'm friends with both current MWH live keyboardists (Louise used to be in my band in LA), but I see a better authority beat me to it :D
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 am

Stefan D wrote:As I mentioned earlier, it was the first time that we used a Pro5, and I remember because George Klaus came to program it. I don't remember using a polymoog, but there's a good chance we did as it was Allan's keyboard and it was likely with us at the studio. But geez, that was 30 years ago and I'm sure that neither Ivan or myself can even remember what we had for lunch 2 weeks ago!
But to join in on how bands managed to pay for good gear back then, I'll tell you that MWH was started by Ivan and a friend of his, Jeremie Arrobas, from the private school that we were going to at the time, and his friend's father gave them $25,000 to go out and buy gear and that was $25k in around 1978-79!! Anyone who joined afterwards had to buy their own s**t, and one guy even took out a $5k loan to buy a Pro5.
And no, they didn't use any of the old gear on the last tour, as I have most of it! And everything except 1 Pro5 doesn't work!!
Thank you so much for

A) Explaining what gear you used.
B) Being a part of Men without hats and creating those delicious jams.

Do you remember who wrote the maddeningly catchy Hook from "Pop goes the world"?