used synth market

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

used synth market

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm

I've tried to sell a few great synths (classic models in great shape) over the past months and I've not been able to sell a single one. I've tried VSE, Gearlsutz, Kijiji. I think my prices are ok. Maybe it has something to do with my location (Qc, Canada). But I remember that it was much easier to sell gear just a few months ago.

I have the impression that the used synth market is starting to go down. Am I right?

winnebago

Re: used synth market

Post by winnebago » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Im not sure what synths you are trying to sell but I would have thought it might be harder to get rid of analog monosynths at the moment with the minibrute and minitaur on the way very soon.

dblondin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: nl2, juno60, pro1, jd990, EII, cr-8000, syntorchestra, eurorack

Post by dblondin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Is it even possible to bring the prices back down long term? And if things are going that way it would seem wise to get rid of some least loved analog monosynths asap. I'd love to see such a trend occur. I miss those late 1980's days when people gave up on the old stuff. There was so much to choose from because very few were buying it.

philip

Post by philip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Scories wrote:I've tried to sell a few great synths (classic models in great shape) over the past months and I've not been able to sell a single one. I've tried VSE, Gearlsutz, Kijiji. I think my prices are ok. Maybe it has something to do with my location (Qc, Canada). But I remember that it was much easier to sell gear just a few months ago.

I have the impression that the used synth market is starting to go down. Am I right?
Can you post what exact synths u've been trying te sell, with prices>?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 pm

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 pm

There was more than that : sh-1000, minikorg, sh-101, micromoog, tr-606...

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

methods of payment?
Those are really good machines, but not for everyone.

Also Internet´s market has been kind of freaked since few months ago, mostly for individual sellers, I hope is something temporal.... Actually is a hot topic on my current job and the previous one....(amaz on & pa y pa l)
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm

balma wrote:methods of payment?
Those are really good machines, but not for everyone.

Also Internet´s market has been kind of freaked since few months ago, mostly for individual sellers, I hope is something temporal.... Actually is a hot topic on my current job and the previous one....(amaz on & pa y pa l)
Hi Balma.
Do you know what happened to come to this situation; irrational reaction or some internet frauds?

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:16 am

Shipping from Canada doesn't help. A lot of people abroad justifiably grumble and groan about our high shipping prices. It's killed many a sale for me.

When your XT rack was at 1100 that was definitely too high. Even at 975, it is still quite high. 700 is a more realistic number for a quick sale.

When people are thinking new SEM I think they are looking for the pro ones. If I can buy one new for 899 why would I buy a MIDI one for 775?

The rest of the synths, while great, are quite common. Most people in the market for a Minikorg are looking for a 700s or 770 these days.

Selling on forums and Kijiji you will always get lowballers or people wanting to pay the low end of the going rate because they are seeing synth listings all the time.

Sometimes on Ebay you can get a premium but then you're crossing your fingers hoping that you don't have to deal with all issues that come with selling on Ebay.

I'm glad that I'm done with gear sales for the most part because I'm tired of Ebay(especially)/Paypal and the days of throwing something on a forum/Kijiji/Craigslist and then having it gone within an hour or two are gone unless you're giving it away.

I'm much happier these days selling off my record collection one by one through Discogs and then buying things slowly as the money accumulates. Makes me much more patient, improves my quality of life. It's also nice to sell things you want to sell and not taking a spin around the studio when you "have" to sell something because of GAS.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 am

I find myself selling at my local swap meet because I don't have to pay paypal or ebay fees...Stuff sells cheaper but I get cold hard CASH!!

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 am

I don't want to make this thead a personnal thing, but as pliksetechno mentionned, importing gear is expensive in Canada so when you sell, you have to take it in consideration and rise the price just a bit. So yes, it's always easier to sell local, but the local market here seems to be dead. It was much easier a few months ago and I had the impression that the vintage synth interest is going down a bit. Maybe it has something to do with all those euro-modules and new stuff. Don't know...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:40 am

Scories wrote:I think my prices are ok.
The market is telling you otherwise.

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Scories wrote:I think my prices are ok.
The market is telling you otherwise.
I've nearly sold the xt twice for 1k. About the rest, it may be a little overpriced (due to cross-border fees I had to pay). But I have not received and decent offer for my analog monosyths and that's what surprised me the most. :?

Well, glad to hear it's not a global issue.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 am

Scories wrote: I've nearly sold the xt twice for 1k.
To put it nicely, I would have ran with those offers both times. Why hold out over $100? and now you're willing to take less.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:25 am

Scories wrote: About the rest, it may be a little overpriced (due to cross-border fees I had to pay). But I have not received and decent offer for my analog monosyths and that's what surprised me the most. :?
No one cares about what you paid for your items. They care about what they're paying for them.

This happens all the time in my city where people price things way above ebay prices and then say "well if you paid shipping, taxes, brokerage..." and I reply that if I wanted to pay all that then I would have bought the item a long time ago.

Finally, the analog monosynth market has always been crowded but current developments like the Minibrute and Minitaur aren't going to help the cause. I've sold all my vintage that I'm not interested in keeping permanently. I may come to regret it one day, missing their merits and missing out on possibly higher prices, but probably not.

It's no shame to take a bit of a bath on things if you no longer what them and aren't going to use them and are really pining for some stuff you may use forever. And right now if you want to sell things you will probably have to take a bit of a bath. Especially on your current prices. If you paid anywhere near 975 for a Microwave XT that's no one's problem but your own.
Last edited by plikestechno on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.