used synth market

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: used synth market

Post by Alex E » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:31 am

Let me go out on a limb and say it was literally impossible to sell synths locally when I lived in Upstate New York.
In Los Angeles, it's very easy, and it really keeps my addiction going. B)
soundcloud.com/vectron

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 am

plikestechno wrote:
No one cares about what you paid for your items. They care about what they're paying for them.

This happens all the time in my city where people price things way above ebay prices and then say "well if you paid shipping, taxes, brokerage..." and I reply that if I wanted to pay all that then I would have bought the item a long time ago.
In fairness though, I have sometimes found it necessary to gently remind people that the reason I'm asking 20% (usually less actually) more than American sellers of the same unit is because of import costs. They're free to say no, but in the long run they're not going to save any money if they do go down the import path. I'm not complaining about it though; I know it's easy to dismiss such things when you're not used to them - I did.

But as with anything like this, if you want to shift something you'll have to either compromise on the price or wait. But I will just say that if you can, try to use the classified sections in popular music mags. The soundonsound readers' adds is bloody godsend in the UK. :D
Last edited by Dr. Phibes on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:07 am

I hear you. Here we pay 15% taxes on anything we import. We loose some money to get the American price afterwards when we cannot find a local buyer. And the Canadian postal services has to be the most expensive in the world; It cost like 8$ to ship a regular cd to Europe, but that's an other story. :D

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 am

I'm going to sort of thread hijack for a moment...

I just moved to Calgary, AB from Las Vegas. I'm an avid craigslist/kijiji watcher. When deals strike, I'm ready to jump. In Vegas, the deals were stupid awesome. Amazing. People were giving their synths away because if they didn't, they'd lose their homes (and probably did anyway- different sad story). In Calgary, I'm seeing people try to sell MS2000R's for $700. WTF. I understand it's a different market, but really? I also see a lot of this "Paid $XXX in 19X7". Nobody cares. And, yeah, Canada makes it relatively expensive to ship things, and shipping across borders is a mess.

My question to Canadians: Are the ridiculous craigslist/kijiji prices an attempt at combating lowballers, or are people actually paying this much for stuff?

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 am

Silverfish wrote: My question to Canadians: Are the ridiculous craigslist/kijiji prices an attempt at combating lowballers, or are people actually paying this much for stuff?
There's probably a few factors but most importantly up until 5/6 years ago the Canadian dollar did really terribly against the US dollar which affected how much things, probably like a MS2000, cost in stores. I remember countless times in my record buying days where a 60 USD order would cost me over 100 Canadian bucks once fees were done. And that might be for 45-50 US dollars of actual records.

But it's 2012, the Canadian and US dollar have been around par for a few years and online buying and selling for synth gear is de rigeur. You can get anything from anywhere and no one gives a c**p what you paid for it in 1999.

And today unless someone in your town really wants it enough to overpay, 99.9% of people don't give a c**p that you bought a SH-101 (or something) for 600 USD (add 4% plus 4% of shipping to paypal if you paid with Canadian money), then spent 50 bucks on shipping it then had to pay 70 to UPS in brokerage fees because the seller didn't want to use USPS Priority (Canada Post only charges 8 flat, UPS is a sliding scale), just to have UPS clear it for customs then pay 90 in provincial tax on top of that (luckily in Alberta, I just pay 5% GST). So in Quebec your tally is now 840 dollars to sell it locally if you want to break even. If you go to sell it on Ebay it'll cost you between FVF fees and paypal another 100 so you have to list it at 950 to break even. Is anybody on Ebay going to pay 950 USD for a stock SH-101? Probably not. Someone in the States gets it delivered to their house by UPS for 620-630 at the most.

That's why I don't buy anything from outside of Canada anymore unless I know I'm going to keep it forever or it's something very small like modules which can go priority or first class. The only things I'm willing to "try" are things that come up locally. And then of course, it has to be a good deal and you have to be fast enough with payment.

But I can't complain. I sit in a room full of amazing deals I've bought here in Edmonton and plenty of stuff I bought from flipping deals that I found here. I bought an 808 two years ago for 250 dollars 3 blocks from my house and sold it for 1600 to buy some more Serge. I got my first synth, a perfectly working Korg Poly 800mkII, for 10 bucks at a garage sale in my neighborhood and sold it for 200 locally. Not gear, but I once found a record at a flea market here for a dollar and sold it for 700 on Ebay. If you wait, deals come everywhere, less so now but they come. A friend of mine semi-famously found a Jupiter 8 at a thrift store here for 350 dollars a few years back.

If you want to sell something fast these days, especially if you're outside of the USA, you're just going to wait a really long time or take a bit of a bath to get the gear moving.

The best things, buying or selling, come to those who wait. I don't know what it's like in the States but when a good gear ad goes up here it's usually gone very quickly and you'll probably have to offer more than the asking price to get it. I used to hate that people did this but it's a fact of life and if I want it bad enough I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks because usually it is still a great deal anyways.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

plikestechno wrote:No one cares about what you paid for your items. They care about what they're paying for them.
Truth.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm

And what about a restored synth Plikestechno? When you take it to a tech who spends 20hours to rebuild the keyboard, set up the factory voltages, cleans/replace sliders. That's what I did wtih lots of gear. I usually sell gear that is in a better shape than when I buy.

Deals don't come so often in Canada. A 250$ tr-808 is quite unusual. I found a sh-1000 for 250$ a few years ago.. but again, I had to spend about 160$ to get it cleaned and fixed (I whish I could do this by myslef indeed). People wants deals and bargains. But if you are looking for clean 100% working analog gear that will last for long, then there's a price to pay in someways.

I don't think that importing gear from US is necessariliy a deal-killer. But it imples much more riskes than getting it from a local kid. There has to be some people who import Moogs Rolands and ARP's in the country, oherwise, they'd be even more rare (and would sell for even more $$$)!! But doing it imples some risks, especially with shipping and the potential buyer has to recognize all what the seller has been through to come with a clean working vintage synth.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 am

Scories wrote:
balma wrote:methods of payment?
Those are really good machines, but not for everyone.

Also Internet´s market has been kind of freaked since few months ago, mostly for individual sellers, I hope is something temporal.... Actually is a hot topic on my current job and the previous one....(amaz on & pa y pa l)
Hi Balma.
Do you know what happened to come to this situation; irrational reaction or some internet frauds?
I work on PP Fraud control Dept. thousands of accounts have been closed on the last weeks and another bunch will close on next month. Disclosing info could mean losing my job, but honestly most of the employees don´t know too much, we just receive complaints, complaints complaints, security is going paranoic...and the environment of the last weeks, sucks... plus changes on internal privacy policies....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:28 am

All true , however after 99% of the potential buyers out there insultingly low ball you it's probably a smart move to price items to have some haggle room . Some people just don't feel like they got a good deal unless they got you to go lower on your asking price ...even if it was fair or even below fair ;)
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

loungedumore wrote:All true , however after 99% of the potential buyers out there insultingly low ball you it's probably a smart move to price items to have some haggle room . Some people just don't feel like they got a good deal unless they got you to go lower on your asking price ...even if it was fair or even below fair ;)
Never really found this to be the case. If you price something at a good, non-ebay derived price, people will buy it. This doesn't mean you will always make money on it. This is how capitalism works, especially on local sales. Why is this so difficult to understand? :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
loungedumore wrote:All true , however after 99% of the potential buyers out there insultingly low ball you it's probably a smart move to price items to have some haggle room . Some people just don't feel like they got a good deal unless they got you to go lower on your asking price ...even if it was fair or even below fair ;)
Never really found this to be the case. If you price something at a good, non-ebay derived price, people will buy it. This doesn't mean you will always make money on it. This is how capitalism works, especially on local sales. Why is this so difficult to understand? :roll:
Well I have found in my neck of the woods 90% of the buyers I come across are new to electronic instruments and always seam to think it would be cool to trade for ....seriously I have had offers for leather jackets and RC airplanes :lol: and the other 10% who do buy are guitar guys who always seam to think a synth is worth a boss pedal .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm

I bought all my synths locally in Montreal (or within a 20 miles radius) in the past 2 years (except for Chamber of Sounds boxes). I event missed a Jupiter 6 for $1500 and a Yamaha CS70M for $1800 because I didn't have the money at the time, and numerous other synths passed away before my eyes only because I wasn't the first to answer the ad.

So as far as I know, the market is still ok around here. There is the occasionnal too good to be true deal, and the regular overpriced synths that stay available for months. Monitoring closely is the key, and that's what I've done to keep ahead of things. I sold few things from 0 to 20% profit, always within 5 days. Now, if I was patient, I bet I could flip many of my synths for 1½ ou twice the price I paid for. But you always need to find the right buyer!

From my point of view, a seller posting in his ad casual reasons why the price is high is never going to get what he asks. I'm not a pro music player and I never HAVE to buy a synth, but I know a lot about auctions and flashy selling arguments: therefore, I smell the fish a long time before it starts to decay...
[FYI: argument not related to the original poster of this thread]
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 pm

loungedumore wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Well I have found in my neck of the woods 90% of the buyers I come across are new to electronic instruments and always seam to think it would be cool to trade for ....seriously I have had offers for leather jackets and RC airplanes :lol: and the other 10% who do buy are guitar guys who always seam to think a synth is worth a boss pedal .
Yeah, I guess my comments don't always apply to everywhere.. ;)
Do you even post on vse bro?

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Well here in England everything changed when RL Music entered the scene, before we had music control who placed ads in a well known music magazine filled a page with gear and prices yet when you visited them nowt in, RL music had the stock and high end gear ready to go with a price tag to match, at that point synths would never be cheap again but not everyone wants a pristine inside and out synth as the artist who released Metamatic said to me over the phone im after a minimoog to use not stare at in a glass case, you pay your money and take your choice .A friend of mine years ago picked up a obxa for £25 he now knows its worth a bit more now.
yamoto773

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 am

Everybody has commented as to how as a buyer you don't care about the reasons and the details behind the price. And I understand that. I just had an interesting thought about how, as a seller, I feel a bit different then as buyer. I suddenly care about who the buyer is and wether the instrument goes into good hands or not, is it your case too? I might even prefer selling for a bit less to somebody I know will take good care of the instrument...