New Studiologic Sledge Polyphonic Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AnalogKid

New Studiologic Sledge Polyphonic Synthesizer

Post by AnalogKid » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Never heard of this synth until today. I stumbled on it on Youtube. It looks good. I like the hands on control. However, I can't seem to find anything that demonstrates the sounds of this new polyphonic synth. Any thoughts from those of you who may be familiar with this new synth? Any links to sites that demonstrate the sounds that this synth is capable of producing?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: New Studiologic Sledge Polyphonic Synthesizer

Post by Z » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 pm

What a completely uninformative video. No information on the www.synthax.co.uk website as described at the end of the video, either.

The rep did say Waldorf devolped the synth engine, so it's probably a decent sounding synth, but more info on its abilities and sound demos are needed. Lastly, what the price? It better be competitive in this over-saturated market of VAs.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:46 pm

I did find this on their website:

http://www.studiologic-music.com/sledge.html

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:05 pm

The description on their site says that the Sledge has 3 oscillators per voice and that oscillator 1 includes "66 original PPG wavetables." These features are pluses. I think that Studiologic could have done a much better job on their website with the sound demo on the Sledge page. Who wants a poly synth like this for organ, electric piano, and accordian sounds? I'm guessing that, with 66 PPG wavetables, the demo included on their site doesn't come close to do doing this synth justice. The demo sounds like it was an off the cuff demo cobbled together with not much though put into it to demonstrate the range of the synth's capabilities.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:50 pm

AnalogKid wrote: I think that Studiologic could have done a much better job on their website with the sound demo on the Sledge page. Who wants a poly synth like this for organ, electric piano, and accordian sounds?
I actually liked it :-) It really has (this demo, i mean) vintage character - it's like those synth demo records from early '80s. At last I hear new synth producing some nice sounds, and not just that '00s pop buzz.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Edit: Ok my reading my half assed: It is 8 poly hardware synth.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:41 pm

And if you are in the habit of losing things, the Studiologic Sledge is perfect for you, you can see this a mile off as it is as about as yellow as something that won first prize in a yellow competition
:laugh2: :facepalm:
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:41 am

fh991586 wrote:
And if you are in the habit of losing things, the Studiologic Sledge is perfect for you, you can see this a mile off as it is as about as yellow as something that won first prize in a yellow competition
:laugh2: :facepalm:
Well, being of Waldorf provenance...
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm

adamstan wrote:
AnalogKid wrote: I think that Studiologic could have done a much better job on their website with the sound demo on the Sledge page. Who wants a poly synth like this for organ, electric piano, and accordian sounds?
I actually liked it :-) It really has (this demo, i mean) vintage character - it's like those synth demo records from early '80s. At last I hear new synth producing some nice sounds, and not just that '00s pop buzz.
haha... you're totally right... the chords reek of a Crumar demo record.

I think this could've been pretty cool - basic PPG sounds in a knob-laden format for what will probably be low-priced sounds great - but limiting wave sound to just osc 1 seems like a huge limitation to me. I'll stick to my blofeld, thanks.
Do you even post on vse bro?

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 am

I'm not sure I get the point of this synth, with the Blofeld keyboard out there who really needs this one? Unless it's priced super cheaply. I think I'd still go with the Blofeld over this though.

N8-R

Post by N8-R » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:07 am

I read somewhere that MSRP is around $1500.

Suddenly I wasn't interested anymore.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

I would prefer the hands on programming capability of the Sledge to the menu diving required by the keyboard version of the Blofeld. I would pay more for the Sledge to get the greater hands on panel control. In my opinion, synth programming is greatly stymied by menu diving. In addition, to me it's preferable to have instant parameter access when playing live. Good luck tweaking a synth live that requires menu diving.

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 am

you can assign 4 midi controllers to a blofeld... And really, it's very easy to program it. Also, the sledge is not just like a blofeld with more knobs, it's a crippled one.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 am

How crippled is it? To me, only four assignable knobs is more crippled than instant access to over 40 parameters. Also, you may think that programming the Blofeld via menu diving is easy, but I have read plenty of reviews where people said that they were getting rid of their Blofeld because they hate the menu diving required to dig into the machine.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 am

AnalogKid wrote:How crippled is it? To me, only four assignable knobs is more crippled than instant access to over 40 parameters. Also, you may think that programming the Blofeld via menu diving is easy, but I have read plenty of reviews where people said that they were getting rid of their Blofeld because they hate the menu diving required to dig into the machine.
Two of the neatest things about the Blofeld to me were the deep arpeggiator, which looks a lot simpler on the sledge, and the step modulation possibilities, which seem missing altogether on the Sledge. There don't seem to be any sample options either. Having said that, I sold it because of the menu diving you mention and to get the V-Synth, which pretty much covers all of that and more for me.