New Studiologic Sledge Polyphonic Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: New Studiologic Sledge Polyphonic Synthesizer

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:58 am

Mamma mia!! sorry his accent is funny.

Does it have aftertouch?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:02 am

I am by no means a menu diver, but find the blofeld pretty amenable to quick editing. The only annoying part (which I also experienced on the knob-laden XT) is oversensitive knob movements on the modulation matrix page, but that's manageable. I can't see giving up the blofeld's wavetables on oscs 1 and 2 or sample-based FM for knobs, as nice as it would be. If the blofeld didn't exist, the sledge might be a good option, but otherwise its features are really too reduced.
Do you even post on vse bro?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 am

Sir Ruff wrote:I am by no means a menu diver, but find the blofeld pretty amenable to quick editing. The only annoying part (which I also experienced on the knob-laden XT) is oversensitive knob movements on the modulation matrix page, but that's manageable. I can't see giving up the blofeld's wavetables on oscs 1 and 2 or sample-based FM for knobs, as nice as it would be. If the blofeld didn't exist, the sledge might be a good option, but otherwise its features are really too reduced.
It's not so bad until you get into the Modulation, Arp and Effects section. Still not awful; it's not 80s digital synth. But it's still a lot of parameters for just 4 knobs.

In any case, I think the Sledge would be a good choice for someone who wants to learn synthesis or just needs more real-time control. Depending on the street price, that is.

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 am

Knobs are all well and good, but I agree with Sir Ruff, I can't see trading all of the programming options of the Blofeld just for a few extra knobs...especially not if it's more expensive than the Blofeld KB is in the first place. BCRs are cheap and give you plenty of knobs.

Also worth noting a NAMM-goer on Muff's commented that the build quality of the one they had on the floor at the show was awful. One person's opinion, (and it might be a prototype) I know, but it might be worth keeping in mind.

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 am

You can get a second hand Q if you like hands on tweaking. 8-) Q can also control Blofeld's CC's (same CC numbers)

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 am

AnalogKid wrote:How crippled is it? To me, only four assignable knobs is more crippled than instant access to over 40 parameters. Also, you may think that programming the Blofeld via menu diving is easy, but I have read plenty of reviews where people said that they were getting rid of their Blofeld because they hate the menu diving required to dig into the machine.

Well, I have a blofeld module. I used to have synths that were horrible to program, like an akai miniak, or a yamaha sy35, sy77... The programming matrix is very easy to use. Also, I prefer a synth more capable in sound than easier to control. I think that the blofeld is a great compromise between sound and control.