New Schmidt Analog Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
philip

Re: New Schmidt Analog Synthesizer

Post by philip » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:40 pm

Actually I'm thinking of getting one of these,but one thing I dont like about this synth that it's DCOish.

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I think he didn't build this with the primary intention of marketing it. It also looks like he pulled that price from the top of his head only when pressed by the interviewer. What I see is that Stefan Schmidt put years of thought, time, & labour into building his own personal dream synth. The interface looks amazing & from what I can tell from the online demos, it sounds amazing. I think he should be applauded for his vision, effort & persistence.

I have absolutely no idea whether he'll actually try to market that. I'm hoping he'll use his experience to possibly adapt elements from that uber-synth into making either a small monophonic version, or even a keyboard-less 4-voice desktop version which keeps the best of his interface. I'm sure they wouldn't be cheap either, but they might be closer to being affordable.
Z wrote:At least the CS-80 has built-in rolling casters.
:clap:
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 am

philip wrote:but one thing I dont like about this synth that it's DCOish.
+1
for sale/trade: EML-101

rmeyerson1

Post by rmeyerson1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:39 am

You have to understand, he was saying the prototype would cost him 30k. I dont think he meant that production models would be 30k. But thats just how I interpreted it.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I think that's right. But it's also not entirely absurd price when you consider e.g. Buchla prices and this is a stupidly full featured analogue poly. Albeit one that sounds lifeless and DCOish. ;-)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Well, I think about the mission to be in a position to be able to afford that without selling a major organ...
and I consider what it's going to do in my studio, in context.

Sure, looks cool, works nice with the layout, but If I owned it, what am I gonna do besides post pictures and make other VSErs jealous? Make some songs that sound no different from what I already make....

The Solaris is another one.
No complaint, just realizing the limits of my music is based on my own imagination, not my gearlist --- > so gearlust can mellow out. (for now)
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:05 pm

nadafarms wrote:
+1
In an interview with Mr Schmidt, he goes into detail about this DCO business. He actually calls the ones in the synth "TCVCO's." It's actually a great read, here's a link.

http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/intervi ... schmidt-e/

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:38 pm

phesago wrote:
nadafarms wrote:
+1
In an interview with Mr Schmidt, he goes into detail about this DCO business. He actually calls the ones in the synth "TCVCO's." It's actually a great read, here's a link.

http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/intervi ... schmidt-e/
so they are actually just DCOs? sorry... fail.
Do you even post on vse bro?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Im not making excuses for the guy, just saying. I thought it was relevant so I mentioned it.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 pm

phesago wrote:Im not making excuses for the guy, just saying. I thought it was relevant so I mentioned it.
Yeah, I'm not shooting the messenger ;) Although I can understand his justification, I would still expect VCOs on such a beast.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:19 am

I seem to recall reading in an interview that each of the analogue DCO's on the Schmidt synthesizer has their own clock, which in turn eliminated phase-lock, although they could all be set to utilize the same clock as well. Personally I think DCO's on a polyphonic synthesizer aren't a bad thing, as it's preferable for keys to stay in tune when playing chords and the like. Plenty of DCO-based synthesizers sounds great, such as the Roland Juno 6/60/106/JX-3P/JX-8P/JX-10/MKS-70, the Kawai SX-210, the Akai AX-80, and the Elka Synthex. I wouldn't immediately rule out the Schmidt synthesizer because it has DCO's, but would rather judge it by how usable it is for me. I just wish Schmidt would hurry up and release a definitive price-point, or product release date, along with further specifications and feature details.

Nightdare
Gear: Roland D-50 / XV-88
Various guitars

Post by Nightdare » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
phesago wrote:Im not making excuses for the guy, just saying. I thought it was relevant so I mentioned it.
Yeah, I'm not shooting the messenger ;) Although I can understand his justification, I would still expect VCOs on such a beast.

why not both DCO and VCO for that amount of money?

Cenydd Ros

Post by Cenydd Ros » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:37 am

How much of this synth have you really heard? Personally, I have heard very little of what it can do. But, what I have heard indicates to me that it can create sounds across a great scope of range, from deep Oberheim pads to completely lunar fx sounds. Pretty much anything. It is a point-to-point all discrete circuitry polysynth. That alone makes it awe inspiring. Considering it has 4 oscillators per voice (8 voices) and running through "7" filters, I would say there is no other synth made (of ever made) that can even compare to this. Now, it just needs a 32 step sequencer (another 72 inches of front panel space :) ) to make it perfect.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:52 am

Seems like pretty much "enthusiast builds his own dream synth but has no idea how to mass manufacture or sell it".
So he just dropped a price out of nowhere.

ZLAL
Gear: Korgs: MS50, MS20, SQ10, Mono/Poly, Poly6, MS2000, EMX MkI, Roland SH-101, SH-9, RE-201, Alesis Ion, Elektron A4, Eurorack Modular System
Band: Heavy Breathing / QQAIL

Post by ZLAL » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:11 am

Synthesizers have been frequently produced and marketed at this price point, often in low quantities. Studios, producers, record labels, and professional musicians have different budgeting considerations than hobbyists and synth enthusiasts.

The inflation-adjusted price of the Yamaha CS-80 new was $28,249.62

That doesn't even begin to approach the original price of the Fairlight CMI Series IIx - which in 2014 has literally been recreated sans interface as an iOS app.

I've only heard a couple demos of the synth in question, so I have no comment of the quality of the sound, build or anything else. But its price is far from absurd. Sure, spending more than the cost of a new car on a synthesizer may seem outrageous to most - but to many spending $500 or $1000 on a dusty machine that looks like it may have been sitting in a thrift shop for the better part of 30 years seems odd. Thus, we have online fora for synthesizer enthusiasts...
Last edited by ZLAL on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.