So who runs Moog's YouTube channel? This is a little weird.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

So who runs Moog's YouTube channel? This is a little weird.

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Found this today when I logged into youtube.

Dogboy73

Re: So who runs Moog's YouTube channel? This is a little we

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Looks like it was only liked by Moog's channel. But I don't see what the connection might be to Moog ..... Maybe she gave birth to the first Minitaur or something?! :? 'Orgasm during synth birth'!! :mrgreen:

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:Looks like it was only liked by Moog's channel. But I don't see what the connection might be to Moog ..... Maybe she gave birth to the first Minitaur or something?! :? 'Orgasm during synth birth'!! :mrgreen:
unless we're missing an obvious connection, I bet whoever runs the channel forgot he or she was logged in and liked it :lol:

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm

I saw that yesterday myself.
Perhaps Mark Doty will be teaching more than synthesis for Moog's education initiatives. :-)
w00t

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 pm

If he is, I'm skipping the practical.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 am

That's a lot of trouble to go through for one orgasm.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:45 am

GuyaGuy wrote:That's a lot of trouble to go through for one orgasm.
:lol: I was thinking something similar. But then again they could be having multiorgasms.

But I would imagine orgasm was the last thing you would be thinking about while giving childbirth

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 am

I am not affiliated with Moog Music, the instrument company.
As such... uh... yeah. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Would it count as paedophilia? :roll:

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:
Yes. And incest.
And, if the mother had taken painkillers, date rape.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm

This certainly isn't the first time Moog made a serious mistake with their online stuff. The weirdest one until now (the subject of this now takes the award) was something last year when they posted something that seemed to be endorsing a specific political candidate. It was removed after a couple of days and initially denied, then some statement was made about it being a joke made by some independent advertising agency employed by Moog.

So it seems Moog employ outside agencies and don't have much of a grip on what they do in the company's name. Although I own a Moog synth I don't have much confidence in the current company, for a whole number of reasons.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Sweep wrote:This certainly isn't the first time Moog made a serious mistake with their online stuff. The weirdest one until now (the subject of this now takes the award) was something last year when they posted something that seemed to be endorsing a specific political candidate. It was removed after a couple of days and initially denied, then some statement was made about it being a joke made by some independent advertising agency employed by Moog.

So it seems Moog employ outside agencies and don't have much of a grip on what they do in the company's name. Although I own a Moog synth I don't have much confidence in the current company, for a whole number of reasons.
What are those reasons? I'm curious (and not from a "I'm gonna defend Moog!" point of view. Just actually curious.)

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Kidney05 wrote:What are those reasons? I'm curious (and not from a "I'm gonna defend Moog!" point of view. Just actually curious.)
The main ones are the issues with build quality and quality control mentioned in more detail in a topic on this forum regarding the Voyager. They made a big thing out of these things at one time, then quietly dropped them and continued to charge the same prices.

In addition there's a flippant, dismissive attitude. Their poor response to the political endorsement issue I referred to above is a case in point. They had people doing things in Moog's name and didn't bother to check what they did. Then they ignored the questions about this for about a fortnight before initially denying it and then flippantly dismissing the whole issue when the denial didn't wash.

The current Moog company's understanding of analogue circuitry has been questioned by some independent techs who've had dealings with them, though I don't want to go further into that. It's for the people themselves to say what they think publicly, or not.

Overall, it's a long-term view of the company as its gone since Bob Moog died, a comulative collection of negative impressions, with few positive ones to offset them. Some are serious, others are small and on their own possibly insignificant, but they add up to an overall impression.
Free the Jupiter 8!

pinky_blue

Post by pinky_blue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:
Yes. And incest.
And, if the mother had taken painkillers, date rape.
Brilliant, I seriously laughed out loud when I read this.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I'll gladly defend Moog, as much as is needed.

I remember that "political candidate endorsement" situation, and as I recall, it had nothing to do with endorsing a particular candidate, it had to do with something else much less overt, and something I and others thought was really a complaint made by people of a hardline political view. It was spoken of at length on the Moog Forum, and it was such a non-issue as to be worthy of the dismissal it got. While it's never a good idea to mix politics/ideology and retail, if a person is obsessively ideological, they'll find a reason to hate a company irrespective of what the main part of its marketing focus is.
In this particular instance, I'm not defending Moog, I just remember that the situation was not an endorsement, and was in fact, a non-issue. Perhaps there's someone with the patience to dig through the Moog Forum to find mention of this "incident."

Build quality? Hmm. Really? I've had a fair amount of experience with modern Moog products. In addition to that, I've spent a fair amount of time at the factory where Moog stuff is made. In addition to that, I know a lot of people who work on those lines. Build quality seems pretty high to me. One of us can walk by the factory daily and see people working. You do know that you can stand outside of the Moog factory and actually WATCH people building these things, right?
Quality control? I can't comment to that. However, at the Bob Moog Foundation, we use a lot of donated Moog equipment... and it's put through its paces. For example, at Moogfest last year, we borrowed a slew of Voyagers, Phattys, theremins, and moogerfoogers. These items were put through the EXTREME situation of being used constantly by the general public for 8 hours a day... and the crowds were big. These instruments were in use constantly by people who didn't own them and mostly didn't know how to use them. We had not a single problem. That is in addition to the items we use with SCHOOL CHILDREN (need any more be said?). If there is a quality control problem at Moog, it isn't very apparent.

"Understanding of analog circuitry?" Seriously? Wait, this is a joke, right?

As for "impression," I can't speak to that. Yes, there are people who've had negative experiences, I'm sure. I mean, I don't really know any to speak of, but there's going to be dissatisfaction, poor service, miscommunication, and etc. in any business model. I have no doubt that sometimes Moog products fail. Products fail.
If you have a negative impression, I'm sure there are others who share your impression. However, this portrayal of Moog becoming something increasingly dark, evil, lacking in quality, and etc. is pretty ridiculous. The worst I've seen in regard to Moog is several people irritated that a t-shirt they ordered hadn't arrived yet.

Lastly, don't bother saying "YEAH, but YOU WORK FOR MOOG." Because I don't. I am not affiliated with Moog Music in any fashion outside of the fact that sometimes I demonstrate their equipment. I'm not paid for it. On top of that, I've irritated Moog Music several times with my candor and actions.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay