1970's MiniMoog... now what?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nightcrier
Gear: Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; KARMA; M3R; Hammond XK1: D50; D70; UltraNova: Moog Voyager; Akai S2800s;TG33, TX7: MUSE Receptor; Roland XV5050
Band: Sweet Crystal

1970's MiniMoog... now what?

Post by nightcrier » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 am

So I decided to spend the money and resurrect my 1970's MiniMoog via a gentleman out in California named Chris Hewitt and http://www.thisoldsynth.com. long story short - amazing. Amazing amount of work and parts and time and money and now my prized puppy is back and plays like a champ! So now what...? It's too valuable to take out on the piddly little gigs I occasionally play and if it sits unused in the studio... it will just go back to being a relic. I see MiniMoogs in lesser condition than mine going for well north of $3K so I'm really contemplating letting it go.
But... I could never afford to buy another one so it almost seems tragic to sell it just coz I need the bucks...
just thinking out loud here and open to thoughts and input from all of you if you feel like weighing in.
Reaching The World, One Song At A Time ™

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: 1970's MiniMoog... now what?

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:15 am

give it to me pls
soundcloud.com/vectron

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:59 am

i agree, give it to alex. h**l, i just gave him a pretty sweet record. :thumbright:

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:32 am

nightcrier wrote: But... I could never afford to buy another one so it almost seems tragic to sell it just coz I need the bucks...
I find that if I sell music gear I need to make sure I reinvest it into more music gear, otherwise the chances of not getting to have that spare later is too strong. What other synths do you have and is there anything you feel is missing? You could have a rather nice modular for $3k or you'd be saved up about halfway toward a Buchla system #1 heh.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:44 am

I say you should play it often and even take it to gigs.

I know it's got some serious monetary value but it also has value as a musical instrument.

You will get much enjoyment and so will your audiences.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:45 am

"going for" and "actually selling for" are two different things. Most minis on ebay over 3k are barely selling unless they are real nice cosmetically or a super early serial number.

If you look through completed listings there isn't one single minimoog that has sold for over $3000 in awhile! Then even if you sold it for $3000 which is TOUGH in this economy you got $200 in ebay/paypal fees and shipping to deal with which comes with it's risks. So an average worn in minimoog is really worth more like $2500-2700 when you get paid, hate to burst your bubble but it's not going to sell like hot cakes and if you could sell it for $2500-2800 on craigslist I would do it and honestly that won't be very easy. So just don't start thinking you're gonna pull $3500-4000 I just don't think it would happen.

But my point is you should take it on the road and play the c**p out of it, then sell it on ebay in 10 years for $10,000 :)
for sale/trade: EML-101

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:45 am

That's the dilemma with valuable vintage gear: too valuable to use so why have it. When you think about it many Synths cost $3-6000 (in 70's and 80's dollars) back in the day and local players routinely gigged with them. It is essential to have a good road case for your valuable gear and be very careful when moving it or setting it up. Then only take it out when the situation makes artistic or financial sense. These days there is plenty of modern gear that can cover the gig when it's too risky to take the vintage stuff out.
I use my Jupiter 6 on most gigs. If it's a large stage in a nice place I will also take out the Oberheim or another piece. All of my gear is in excellent cosmetic condition despite a lot of use in the 80's. I was always very careful with it. I think the difference vintage gear makes is worth the risk in most cases. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing your favorite Synth cranked up loud through a good sound system.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:48 am

Cumulus wrote:...or just give it to Alex. He deserves it.
i mean look at those shades! they would go great w/ a model D. 8-)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 am

Do what I did and lend it to someone. I got sick of tuning the damn thing and I'm in the middle of getting a new studio space built so it suited me well. Like they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder - and if you don't miss it then maybe that will help you in your decision to sell ;)

Go on, lend it to Alex you know he wants it. :lol:

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 am

Hard to think now RL music UK used to sell Minimoogs $6,000+ i sold a mini 2yr ago for $3600 but since then they have become hard to sell, i have one in a tech place been there years works but most likely will go into storage for another 5yr see what they go for then.
yamoto773

nightcrier
Gear: Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; KARMA; M3R; Hammond XK1: D50; D70; UltraNova: Moog Voyager; Akai S2800s;TG33, TX7: MUSE Receptor; Roland XV5050
Band: Sweet Crystal

Post by nightcrier » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:59 am

I think you all have some good points but seeing as alex is too far away to give it to him, I think I'll hang on to the Min i and next time we're the headliner, bring the baby out for a solo or two. Thanks everyone!
Reaching The World, One Song At A Time ™

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:13 pm

If you give it to Alex, just make sure you ship it to him. If you give it to him in person, he will undoubtably hump your leg. I have it on good accord his Wavestation has its own pillow in his bed.

And you really don't want to know what Spaceboy and Cumulus do with their synths ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

f**k it and eat it

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:54 pm

I say you make some records and feature it prominently. To be honest, that was the main point when it was released. Musicians use musical instruments to make songs. Simple as that. Ignore what it's worth and consider what it's worth to you and get to creating.

I always say, if something is so fragile that you are scared to use it, you might as well consider it broken.
Use it and enjoy it.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com