Synth question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Re: Synth question

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 pm

madtheory wrote:I love this s**t.
I love these banks.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 pm

I went to the bank today. The girl behind the counter.... jeez... what a stunner!
Stephen(2)

goom

Post by goom » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:51 am

vowels wrote:From a few ocilators to expensive as f**k workstations with rom ,.why doesnt someone make a synth with the ability to make all these different waves to begin with? Instead of buying banks and s**t
When synths with patch memories became common-place (ie. late 70s to 80s), most only had a handful of memory locations. Far less than the variety of sounds that the synth was capable of. So... third party companies that offered custom-made sounds sprung to life.

As time went on, even more memory locations became standard on synths, but the capabilities of the synthesis engines (and built-in effects) advanced as well. Some synth workstations even have multiple synth engines, so the number of possible sounds is now enormous.

With today's synthesis capabilities, it would be difficult to include "all" possible waveforms in a synth's patch memory. Even if a manufacturer did this for a specific model, their sounds would be different than another's brand because they are different synths, with different functions and design.

As for me, I got to a point of critical mass after buying my Triton Extreme. There are so many patch locations and so many sounds, it's hard NOT to find a suitable sound for whatever I'm doing. If I can't, it's easy to edit the sound to fit my needs.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 am

stephen wrote:I went to the bank today. The girl behind the counter.... jeez... what a stunner!
Did you ask her if you could make a deposit?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 am

nathanscribe wrote:
stephen wrote:I went to the bank today. The girl behind the counter.... jeez... what a stunner!
Did you ask her if you could make a deposit?

Indeed I did.... of a financial nature. :roll: :lol:

Got some Euros... I'm off to Cyprus for a week. TTFN!
Stephen(2)