2012 "Year of the Monosynth"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

2012 "Year of the Monosynth"

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Tons of new or renewed monosynths coming out the year. Personally, I am happy than a pig in pooh. I gave up poly last fall to help myself focus on monosynth and percussion exploits.

Just saw the eowave Magma. http://www.eowave.com/instruments.php?prod=77
Monosynth with 16 step Sequencer (1 line note, 3 lines of parameters)
Another to add to the list.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Re: 2012 "Year of the Monosynth"

Post by phesago » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Not bad. Dont necessarily like the price, but seems like a beast.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Anything can look great on paper, let's wait and see how it really sounds.

BTW Sound On Sound gave the Arturia MiniBrute a pretty glowing review. Only complaints were about lack of velocity control and the short keyboard.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:35 pm

i am extremely excited to get me a minibrute.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 am

I am going to show you the MiniBrute soon... it is worthy of a glowing review!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Post by musden » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 am

screw the stupid little monosynths

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:12 am

meatballfulton wrote:Sound On Sound gave the Arturia MiniBrute a pretty glowing review. Only complaints were about lack of velocity control and the short keyboard.
IIRC the velocity can be enabled via software. That review also says the LFOs are analogue, so I wonder how well the reviewer read the material that was sent with the synth.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Sound On Sound gave the Arturia MiniBrute a pretty glowing review. Only complaints were about lack of velocity control and the short keyboard.
IIRC the velocity can be enabled via software. That review also says the LFOs are analogue, so I wonder how well the reviewer read the material that was sent with the synth.
Also... velocity? Really?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 am

I guess I understand the short keyboard issue, but criticizing the minibrute for not having velocity is like criticizing it for being monophonic.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:07 am

Alex E wrote:I guess I understand the short keyboard issue, but criticizing the minibrute for not having velocity is like criticizing it for being monophonic.
It's more like criticising it for being purple and not having keys at all.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Also... velocity? Really?
Yves Yusson wrote:Thanks guys !

It's been a real pleasure designing this little beast. I hope it will meet its public.

The enveloppes are analog (Yusynth ADSR based with some improvements) the LFO was analog in the first version but because it was necessary to synchronise it with the arpeggiator, the LFO now is digital. The vibrato is fll analo too.

First, I want to thank you all for your enthusiasm about the MiniBrute.

Concerning the digital section yes it will be updatable, this is one of the reason why there is a USB plug in it. Note that the USB is also used to set some parameters of the keyboard section such as Velocity enable or disable and choosing the Velocity Curve, same for the Aftertouch. The default setting is Velocity disabled and Aftertouch active. Normally (I don't master the digital section of this machine) the MiniBrute can handle the Polychain mode.
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/namm-a ... ments.html

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:57 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I am going to show you the MiniBrute soon... it is worthy of a glowing review!
Has anyone called you a tease lately AG, cuz they f'ing should :) Can't wait for the link. Minitaur in my house tomorrow along w/iPad 3, so that helps.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 pm

The SOS review shows a screenshot of the software. You can adjust the velocity response curve (also aftertouch response curve...wish more synths had that feature) but there is no velocity destination in the hardware.

Velocity is sent over MIDI.

Aftertouch however can be routed to control filter and pitch modulation, arguably more important than velocity control.

My SWAG is they use the same 25-note keyboard as the Analog Factory Player so got velocity and aftertouch for free.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Unfortunately, according to the Mayan Calendar, 2012 will also be the "Last Year of the Monosynth".
A major shift in consciousness will take place, and no one will give two shits about Mono's anymore.
It's all about Poly's thereafter.
Also interesting to note that Minitaur, MiniBrute. and Magma were nicknames for three of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse when they were kids.

Seriously though, the fact that the Magma doesn't have any CV/Gate outs or even MIDI Out(except through USB) surely is a sign of impending doom.
Last edited by analoglsd on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I am going to show you the MiniBrute soon... it is worthy of a glowing review!
Promises, promises... :roll: :mrgreen:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

dlp1
Gear: Roland JX-10, Gulbransen Series 400, Monotrons, VSTs, Logic Pro, SWR Redhead, tape-decks.
Arnold Schnitzer double-bass, Warwick Corvette fretless.

Post by dlp1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Considering the great demo you gave of the Minitaur, it will be interesting to see what you get out of the MiniBrute.
analoglsd wrote:Also interesting to note that Minitaur, MiniBrute. and Magma were nicknames for three of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse when they were kids.
That is interesting. I assumed that the name 'Minitaur' was derived from the Minotaur of Greek mythology.