Synths that you loved before, but have now gone off

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Synths that you loved before, but have now gone off

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Sometimes my gear interest follows my music interest for a while, and sometimes my music interest follows my gear interest. Usually things fall off, but only temporarily. All it takes is a little revisitation to some favorite artists to reignite my interest, and remember what I'm getting out of said gear; as if it were an album of music. Sort of strange I guess!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:24 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Sometimes my gear interest follows my music interest for a while, and sometimes my music interest follows my gear interest. Usually things fall off, but only temporarily. All it takes is a little revisitation to some favorite artists to reignite my interest, and remember what I'm getting out of said gear; as if it were an album of music. Sort of strange I guess!
That's interesting, I kind of tend to use the same stuff no matter what I'm making...Just FM8 and massive, guitar rig for the guitars. Whether that's from necessity or choice I'm not sure. But I kind of like having stable choices for using on everything.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 pm

minimoog. done to death every which way.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Moped10
Band: a bunch (too many to list in t

Post by Moped10 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:51 am

1) Moog Prodigy-
sold my MG to get it, then was baffled by the huge lack of modulation options, etc, despite the tone, so...
2) Korg MS2000-
sold my Prodigy to get it when it debuted- made myself love it for a few years, then admitted to myself I was working too hard to make up for its lack of tone, so...
3) Rogue-
tone is back! but man o man what a cheapo feeling synth! and the sync is nowhere near as sweet sounding as the Prodigy, so...
4) Little Phatty-
tone? check! Osc sync perfection? check! solid feel? check! but man I'm too thick in the head to be able to skip around the lack of dedicated knobs layout! I'd have 2 beers on stage, then screw up my mid-solo mod because it was set for something other than what I misremembered it- fantastic sound, but this old dog couldn't feel cozy with the setup-

and those are my synths I loved before, and have now gone off...

Arpnutt
Gear: Minimoog Voyager, Virus TI, M3, Radias, PC88, SD1, Mirage, ASR-10, TX81z, Alesis D4, Procussion, JV1010, Arturia V, Omnisphere, Odyssey, Solus, OB8

Post by Arpnutt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:53 am

Hard to believe, but I don't care for my Moog Voyager RME. Just something about it doesn't sound right to me. I'm putting it up for sale soon I think.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 am

I had Roland SH 1000, I moved to San Diego a while back and left this one behind and took the CS5...My mom threw it away like trash...so it is in a landfill somewhere....

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 am

Jupiter 8 - People are going to say f**k on this one, but it had some technical problems, took up too much space and I never could get it to stand out in a mix without hogging too much headroom. Too big, too powerful and you don't want to invest in one just for pads and strings.

Minikorg 700S - Really wanted a 800DV, but thought I could multitrack it and get a similar result. Even though I modded it to have CV/Gate control and resonance knobs on the panel, I ultimately thought the modulation options and ADS envelope were too lacking. Great tone though.

SCI Pro~One - Pots had too much range and kept getting spotty, resonance thinned out too much and ultimately wasn't as flexible as I'd hoped.

Voyager RME - Oscillators too stiff, took too much headroom, not bright enough. I would say it can do some great smooth leads though.

I GAS'ed for all of these based on hearsay of character or flexibility. The first 3 above I made sure they went to people who would love them, for a fair price. All the ones I really have wanted since the 90's are well out of my financial reach now.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Solderman wrote:Minikorg 700S - Really wanted a 800DV, but thought I could multitrack it and get a similar result. Even though I modded it to have CV/Gate control and resonance knobs on the panel, I ultimately thought the modulation options and ADS envelope were too lacking. Great tone though.
Really love the tone of the 700. 700s must be even better.
Maybe I'm wrong, but these are sounds that cannot be replicated with modern analogs. Maybe Macbeth... (??)

syntopia
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Roland XP-50, software synths, recording software, Guitar, & amps. . . . you know, the usual

Post by syntopia » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Talking vintage stuff, I'd have to say. . . .

The Prophet 600. . . . . . great analog board

As cheezy as this sounds, the Casio CZ 101 was always a fun little board to midi up to.

I know Dave Smith instruments has reissued similar version of the Prophet, and other classic analog synths, but with updated digital hardware. it's still analog, but contolled digitally.

Wish I had them still

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Scories wrote:Really love the tone of the 700. 700s must be even better.
Maybe I'm wrong, but these are sounds that cannot be replicated with modern analogs.
Perhaps one of the modular diode ladder VCF's could get close. The thing about the Minikorgs is that the VCO(s) have/has very stable tuning for an early 70's monosynth. This kind of takes away from that lovely phasing effect when mixing the VCO's in the 700S. The VCO FM options more than make up for this, however. Too bad the second VCO waveform selection is limited to only a ramp.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:31 am

Yeah, really badly.
I was really into my Korg Poly 800 then I got a Realistic Moog MG1.
Sold the Korg.
Then I got a Roland Sh09.
Probabply didnt touch my MG1 for a week.
Of course when I got my Dark Energy I neglected the MG1 and SH09 for a bit!
And the beastly Taurus III is currently occupying my feet.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Korg M1 - Used to love this board but a year after owning it i got bored of the limited programming and the fact the sounds relied too much on FX. Sold it and haven't looked back, got back into my Roland W-30 and am getting some beautiful sounds out of it

Casio CZ-5000 - Lusted for one for about a year when i had a CZ-1000, but when i got it was extremely disappointed to find it sounds just the same just with 4 extra voices. No enhanced programming, crappy sequencer, noisy chorus and a huge ugly design. Don't have a CZ at the moment, id certainly pick up a 1000 again instead of this huge thing
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,