Roland Jupiter-50 announced

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Roland Jupiter-50 announced

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:Honestly I wish Roland would wise up and offer something interesting for once instead of endlessly rehashed romplers and second-rate VAs.
Like some kind of physical modeling with a new way of articulating the models perhaps? Or a sampler that lets you alter pitch and time independently and mix with VA oscillators? Yeah, it would be great if Roland made something like that.
Unfortunately, unless the features are buried somewhere the Jupiter doesn't allow the VSynth style sample manipulation.
I'm not suggesting it does, I'm just highlighting two very innovative synths Roland has put out recently.

Roland is the only company of the big three that actually are bringing out new forms of synthesis, and yet they seem to get the most complaints. Korg are doing some cool stuff with VAs, analogue, samplers and effects, but the last innovation they came out with was the Kaoss Pad about 10 years ago, and that's just a change to the control interface. Yamaha don't even seem to make synths any more, just ROMplers.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yamaha don't even seem to make synths any more, just ROMplers.
But they are damn good at it. The funny part about Roland's SuperNatural sound engine is that it sounds inferior to ROMplers from most everybody else (particularly Yamaha and Kurzweil), imo. I had a Fantom-G (curse that buggy POS!) and it sounded identical to my JV-1080 :lol:

The Jupiter name was a marketing blunder by Roland. I'm over it. I've been told by sales guys from Sweetwater and GC that Jup-80 sales have been dismal - no idea if that is actually true or not.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Well, I actually like it. The Jupiter 50 is just what I need and want, so I'm going to buy one... And I'm no wedding singer either.
GC

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

gcoudert wrote:Well, I actually like it. The Jupiter 50 is just what I need and want, so I'm going to buy one... And I'm no wedding singer either.
If you like it, and it works for you, then go for it. Just because a bunch of vintage synth nerds get pissed off at the name doesn't mean it is a bad instrument. :lol: The only major concern I have for Roland instruments is their lack of support after the 1.0 OS.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm

You're basically jumping on very thin ice when you post about some raging new workstation/rompler on this forum.

"Lol it's a rompler man it's shiiiiiit it's not analog! WHy buy a $2000 rompler when you can use VSTs" etc.

However, people tend to crawl out of the woodwork eventually and support it. All my Yamaha Motif XF posts were made on the motifator forum, where it's actually supported by a throng of people, including Yamaha developers. It's more fruitful than arguing about the benefits of a modern workstation with vintage gear nerds, however much I love you guys :)

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Well, I did buy one in the end and I am very happy with it.

Of course, there are things that Roland could have done better, such as the hardwired envelopes (one filter ADSR, one amp ADSR and a basic pitch AD for each partial), the slow scrolling through patches and the weird three-part registrations. You can work around the latter by selecting the 'Manual' registration and working with your Live Sets in the upper part so that's not really a problem. But then, it's a performance synth, not a workstation and, as such, it's definitely made me want to gig again.

I really do like the filters and whilst the JP50 is not intended to be an updated JP8, the LPF2 filter definitely gives patches a JP8-like sound. I'm not sure the SCI-like filter is very Prophet-like but it still sounds good nevertheless. The envelopes are quite fast - faster than on any digital synth I have ever owned and I've had a few - and the quality of the effects is quite stunning. It's a shame that there isn't an extra envelope that could be routed to various parameters (think Korg Wavestation, for example) because I'd quite like to assign one to Pulse Width every now and then.

I was quite impressed with the acoustic and electric piano sounds but it'll take me a while to get used to playing them from a synth keyboard as opposed to my old Yamaha digital piano's weighted 88-key keyboard. If I had more space in the home studio, I'd probably invest in a CME UF8 or something similar. Other acoustic sounds range from usable to excellent.

The area in which this synth really shines imho is the synth presets, which are very good and cover almost every genre since the 60s, from cheesy Moog solos to more recent trance or whatever, through 80s synth pop, etc. There are so many to choose from that you are bound to find something close to what you are looking for.

Programming-wise, the main parameters are quite easily accessible and can be edited quickly and efficiently for the most part. For deeper programming, you have to rely on an external iPad or by scrolling through a vertical list of logically arranged parameters. Because I have no intention of buying an iPad, I have created my own Cubase device map and it works fine (see my other thread).

To cut a long story short, I can't get my 15-year-old daughter away from the Jupiter 50, on which she uses the acoustic sounds and I have already spent hours of fun programming new patches using the on-board synth engine. This thing has a lot more potential than meets the eye, particularly if your experience of it is limited to an hour or so in your local music store.
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I forgot: there is one thing that DOES annoy me about the JP50 and since no professional reviewer has picked up on it, I ought to mention it here.

Tone 28 (Tonewheel Organ) is the only one with the virtual drawbars. However, it cannot be used in the Lower/Perc part or in the Solo part! This leaves the single 4-tone Upper part, in which Tone 28 can ONLY be in position 1 of the Live Set! This implies that you can only ever have ONE instance of the programmable tonewheel organ at any time and I find this quite limiting, as it would be great to split two B3 sounds across the keyboard or play a second one via MIDI on a different channel.

It may be different on the Jupiter 80, which has 4 parts, two of which can contain Live Sets, as opposed to the single Upper part on the JP50.

Fortunately, Roland have included a number of good-sounding and very convincing synth organ patches so it is possible to split Tone 28 with one of those.
GC