What a great list of gear

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
syntopia
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Roland XP-50, software synths, recording software, Guitar, & amps. . . . you know, the usual

What a great list of gear

Post by syntopia » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:39 pm

As a musician, I'm typically curious about the gear used that makes the music i like to listen to.

Below is a list of Synth gear used by "Argen Lucassen" of Ayreon. He's Dutch, and crafts some of the most interesting prog-rock-ish style music.

I wish I had the coin to add the gear (below) to my collection.

Keyboards:
Analog:
Hammond A100 & Leslie 122
Solina String ensemble
Mini Moog
Prophet 5
Oberheim OB 8
MKS 80 Roland Superjupiter
Juno 60
Arp Pro Soloist
Korg MS 20

Digital:
Roland JP8000
Roland JV1080
EMU Vintage Keys
Akai Sampler s5000
Kawai K4
Kurzweil 1000 PX
Nordlead 3

syntopia
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Roland XP-50, software synths, recording software, Guitar, & amps. . . . you know, the usual

Re: What a great list of gear

Post by syntopia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 am

Ok. . . . I get it, not that interesting for ya.

Well, it's always nice to know where ya stand at least.

Thanks for viewing anyway

Moped10
Band: a bunch (too many to list in t

Post by Moped10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 am

Ok. . . . I get it, not that interesting for ya.
Um, it's a very nice list of gear... I'd be my list of gear if I were rich... I don't see how it's so mind blowing, considering this guy is over 50 and has been active in the music biz since pre 1980- it shows he has good taste!
so, thanks for sharing...!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 am

That's a well balanced setup. But I could never imagine having more than a few synths at a time simply because I can't use that many instruments regularly. It's more about the music you make with musical instruments and how they can be of use to you, rather than having a big room full of synths you can post about on the internet.
soundcloud.com/vectron

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 am

The most fantastic thing about arjen anthony luassen is not so much his gear is at is the incredible creative and technical genius he uses to create sweeping progressive sonic masterpieces. He always uses a real hammond organ, has incredible audio engineering techniques (Uses three microphones, two amps and a preamp to get the guitar tone on the newest star one album) and is all round an incredible dude no doubt.

Trust me, all his gear gets a work out.

Important parts would be all of it but particularly:

Isis and osiris: (0:00) just f**k all round great.

Amazing Flight: ( I f**k love the flute/synthesizer duel with thjis van leer from focus!)

Across the rainbow bridge:

A little cheesy but oh my god the vocal talent in this song, perfect songwriting.

Then 10+ years later and many many albums he can still put out absolutely insane perfectly produced music like this.

I know I'm gushing here but jesus! There are so many bits of genius in his music. In "time beyond time" on into the electric castle he has 3 very separate vocal melodies for different sections then brings them all back layered perfectly onto each other all leaving gaps in the melody for each other. Just absolutely brilliant. It's hard to go backwards from that level of absolute f**k genius in songwriting to simpler, less mindblowingly complex stuff.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:48 am

Alex E wrote:That's a well balanced setup. But I could never imagine having more than a few synths at a time simply because I can't use that many instruments regularly. It's more about the music you make with musical instruments and how they can be of use to you, rather than having a big room full of synths you can post about on the internet.
Excellent advice for Vangelis, Vince Clarke, Jean Michel-Jarre, Depeche Mode, Xeno & Oaklander, and all you others.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:21 am

V301H wrote:
Alex E wrote:That's a well balanced setup. But I could never imagine having more than a few synths at a time simply because I can't use that many instruments regularly. It's more about the music you make with musical instruments and how they can be of use to you, rather than having a big room full of synths you can post about on the internet.
Excellent advice for Vangelis, Vince Clarke, Jean Michel-Jarre, Depeche Mode, Xeno & Oaklander, and all you others.

>implying I actually care about and/or listen to any of those artists.
soundcloud.com/vectron

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 am

Sorry, didn't know you were so young. Most of those artists I mentioned go back to the late 70's or early 80's in case you are not familiar with some of them. Things were a bit different back then especially before MIDI and multi-timbral instruments. As each instrument could only make one sound at a time it was often desirable to have several instruments available to even approach what can be done on one or two instruments today. Not to mention the analog Synths available then were generally larger and much more expensive than equivalent modern Synths. Only an elite few could afford the primitive Samplers available then. Quality recording equipment was also expensive and not very portable. There weren't many kids in their bedroom doing elaborate Electronic Music. These days with cheap Digital Recording, VA's, SoftSynths, and Sampling available to the masses you can do a lot with just a few well-chosen instruments.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 am

Well I'm 21 but I do listen to 80's music quite a bit. I guess just more beat oriented stuff, like Hi-NRG, Funk, Italo Disco, Pop, Latin Freestyle, etc. -The 80's music I do listen to didn't generally require a laundry list of gear. But that was after synths became a little more affordable.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:59 am

Hey Alex, you're participating in this thread because...?

I mean, clearly, you don't think it's worth it to have a lot of gear, so why chime in on this thread... about a bunch of gear?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 am

I would like to thank Alex E and V301H for going nowhere in this thread.

Also
>2012
>Still implying

Special mention to Alex E for this open ended quote in a thread about the gear setup of Arjen Lucassen who is insanely prolific.
Alex E wrote: It's more about the music you make with musical instruments and how they can be of use to you, rather than having a big room full of synths you can post about on the internet.
Anyway. GET THIS THREAD BACK TO ARJEN.

You can see his modest studio in this video and him explaining the guitars for the last star one album (just nuts).

It's very awesome when you hear the finished tracks and can hear the different layers of the guitars go in and out (say 6 guitars on the intro which drops down to just two thin layers when the vocals come in etc. Very smart work).

Also in this video you see more of how he actually puts the entire projects together and how he records the vocals (fairly modest setup for such a great sound actually. Also see a lot more of his setup.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:43 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Hey Alex, you're participating in this thread because...?

I mean, clearly, you don't think it's worth it to have a lot of gear, so why chime in on this thread... about a bunch of gear?
Up until early 2010, I had a shitload of gear I could barely fit in my bedroom, sold every last bit of it and never looked back.

In fact, throughout most of 2010 and 2011, I had virtually nothing to work with physically and got both an EP and a full album done entirely with Live 8 + the built in synth called Analog. Just sayin'.
soundcloud.com/vectron

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 am

Well it's a good thing this thread is about Arjen's gear and not yours then. You know I'm a next to no gear guy but please, I really, really Love arjen and would hate to see a potentially interesting thread about him derailed into unwarranted self importance.

:)

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Alex E wrote:Up until early 2010, I had a shitload of gear I could barely fit in my bedroom, sold every last bit of it and never looked back.

In fact, throughout most of 2010 and 2011, I had virtually nothing to work with physically and got both an EP and a full album done entirely with Live 8 + the built in synth called Analog. Just sayin'.
And you think most of us care because?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Honestly when I read the gear list I think of what PROG is supposed to stand for and find it ironic that it basically contains has-been type synth sounds. To me, a truly progressive setup would have a little of everything. Again, just my opinion.

but if you were going to progress in anything or art for art's sake, it seems highly counter intuitive to have easily $10k tied up in analogs of limited creativity, and only $1k(ish) tied up in kinda MEH digitals. I'm of course just using numbers for the sake of a proportion, and not as a legitimate measure of power.

anyway - it is of course what you make with it, and I don't see the sense in bashing someone based on what they do/don't have. I was just commenting on the irony of Progressive disproportionately using Vintage for no immediately apparent reason.

edit: thanks for the share as I do intend to listen to the music as I seem to favor the european style of prog much better than the american. (eloy is one of my all time favorites)