What a great list of gear

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JJQ

Re: What a great list of gear

Post by JJQ » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Alex E wrote:
Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Hey Alex, you're participating in this thread because...?

I mean, clearly, you don't think it's worth it to have a lot of gear, so why chime in on this thread... about a bunch of gear?
Up until early 2010, I had a shitload of gear I could barely fit in my bedroom, sold every last bit of it and never looked back.

In fact, throughout most of 2010 and 2011, I had virtually nothing to work with physically and got both an EP and a full album done entirely with Live 8 + the built in synth called Analog. Just sayin'.
Perhaps the problem was that you had it in the bedroom, and not in a studio or working enviroment.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Right. So, when you were younger, you didn't have a bedroom studio?
soundcloud.com/vectron

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 am

Apparently the problem is, Alex E thought he was walking into a thread about an artist who has compiled a huge amount of gear and shared his general philosophy about music, gearlists,lust and being productive.

When asked or questioned about his own production or experience, he simply shared his experience with amassing a lot of studio gear and eventually choosing a more minimalist system.

If Alex E had known this is actually a Fan-Based thread that's more about the merits and talents of a particular artist, he would have better been prepared for the backlash. See, no one is really discussing the relation of the gear to the artist, it's been more about how awesome he is and what he uses to be so awesome.

I was going to comment about how you needn't be RICH to amass that kind of set up and how you could do it with careful planning and by making it a reality over years. And I was going to further say, that even if you were rich, it wouldn't make sense to buy EVERY SINGLE piece at once. (unless you were getting some of kind of discount from one seller/store/outlet)

I would would also share my experience with owning so much stuff that it becomes difficult to move around or get anything done and selling off what's really redundant.

Collecting is a different story.

I like how the artist uses 6 guitars in his music, which in today's terms is 6 recording passes and in reality would be six guitarists. Advanced recording stuff....cool!
It's all interesting stuff.

I just think we should separate the gushing over his skill/talent/career/ etc and the discussion of his gear list and its impact or move this thread to Off Topic since this area is for General Synthesizers.

And someone talking about their synthesizes should always be welcome. My 2 cents.

And for a while we had both going in parallel....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 am

Arjen's been asked before about how he got "So much money" to build his studio and it came down to just building it up over time, and working full time as a musician you'd probably want to invest a bit into the studio as well. It's not a matter of being rich at all he's just been building the elements since the early 90's.

The results are definitely evident on the records

P.S The reason Alex E inflamed people was this comment "It's more about the music you make with musical instruments and how they can be of use to you, rather than having a big room full of synths you can post about on the internet."

Which was just bizarre, had no place in this thread and certainly had no place within 1000 km's of Arjen's music, who has so far released 21 records of music since the mid 80's.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:10 am

Alex E wrote:Right. So, when you were younger, you didn't have a bedroom studio?
f**k, He's not saying that you should have had a dedicated music studio by now he was saying that POSSIBLY the reason why you ended out not liking the setup was that it was partly improvised setup and access to everything or to record things required setup time and a process that interrupted the process.

All you have to do is explain what it is about the large setup of synths that was a distraction (Whether or not it's that you tend to favour 1-2 synths anyway or something). Please don't make this thread even more retarded.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:02 am

Alright, alright, I'm sorry. For whatever retardation I've spewed out in this thread.

I'm just going to stop posting in this one.
soundcloud.com/vectron

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Post by breckjay » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:52 pm

whos Argen Lucassen?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 am

breckjay wrote:whos Argen Lucassen?
uhhh.....

Nice post.

Still putting out loads of music. A double CD even.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am

Too cheesy and really not my thing but I really enjoyed listening to that. that is the only thing I have heard from him and I can just tell from that, that he is a really nice chap and is really into what he does. I like that.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Wow you guys have some issues with sensitivity. Alex just made a small point and you all just blew up. Maybe there's some beef from another thread but if anyone is responsible for thread destruction it's the silly reactions. The gear list is fantastic and the music is interesting. Some people need lots of gear for their creative ideas and others less. Just maybe don't take it personally when someone doesn't drool as hard over the same stuff. And you don't have to care that Alex made a whole ep with a soft synth, but your attitude just makes you come off like a self important and all knowing. It's just a counterpoint in the conversation. Since when is a different perspective not welcome around here? You should care about that as just people giving each other the reach around and nodding in unison about the only way towards creativity is more gear is a bit misguided and boring.

Back to the thread, Im glad the poster linked to this stuff as I was unfamiliar with this music and I love hearing things I'd never normally run into. Not my favorite genre, but it's very interesting how he records w multiple amps. I do something similar to get a fuller guitar tone myself pan from mic to mic to get a sort of evolving tone that would be harder with just software.
soundcloud.com/lvoe