G. Numan drops wise words - old vs new - blahblah

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Re: G. Numan drops wise words - old vs new - blahblah

Post by bochelli » Tue May 01, 2012 8:59 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The other thing worth noting is that even though Gary Numan didn't invent electronic music or the electronic/pop-rock crossover or whatever, he did influence a lot of the people who came after him. Maybe those people would have been just as influenced by Foxx or Ultravox if Numan had never existed, but that's a hypothetical and can't be proved either way.

Quite correct, however its not quite the full story is it how do you judge an artist as Gary Numan as influencial, i dont really want to but we could start with record sales /chart sucess, Gary Numan more than any other electronic act in England had many No 1s singles and Albums, the Human League had Dare and Dont you want me , Post john foxx or 1980 on Ultravox never had a number 1 Vienna at 2 not 1 held back by Joe Dolce Shadup yor Face.The Model by Kraftwerk is a disputed No1 it was the flip side to prior Release Computer Love, i think Computer Love reached 36 in 1981 the Djs were playing the B side , EMI re released the single in a fresh Red cover, Al Gary Numans and Tubeway Army releases were true chart hits.
yamoto773

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 pm

He was saying similar things about the JD-800 20 years ago, that he'd rather have it over a Minimoog or other analog synth, that he could recreate any of the old sounds with it. Clearly he's not nostalgic about the old gear. To each their own, I get where he's coming from though.

As for the rest of the discussion.... I remember reading an old newspaper article about how Numan was influenced by Ultravox's 'Slow Motion', he was a big fan. It would seem obvious that he was influenced by Bowie and Kraftwerk also, and in turn influenced many of the early 80s electro pop/rock in the UK. More so by the fact he was the first synth act of the time to really break through, rather than the actual sound.

Of course none of the above were the first to put a synth on a record, but they all played their part in bringing the synth sound (whatever the context) to the masses.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue May 01, 2012 2:45 pm

bochelli wrote: Metamatic i thought strictly Arp Odyssey /Roland CR-78, Polymoog may have been used on the Garden, I will ask Dennis the next time i call him.
Besides the ARP Odyssey, ARP sequencer and CR-78, he also used a (hired in) Minimoog and an Elka rhapsody 610
string synth on Metamatic. The other keyboards included a Hohner clavinet, Hammond B-3 and an upright piano.

Looks like you're right about the Polymoog; I just dug up an old email from Gareth Jones where he mentions that they did use
a Polymoog on The Garden - along with the Odyssey, VP-330, TR-808, Linn LM-1, Prophet 5 and Jupiter 4 (the last two
courtesy of Duncan Bridgeman). Not sure if there's any minimoog on this album.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Micke wrote:
bochelli wrote: Metamatic i thought strictly Arp Odyssey /Roland CR-78, Polymoog may have been used on the Garden, I will ask Dennis the next time i call him.
Besides the ARP Odyssey, ARP sequencer and CR-78, he also used a (hired in) Minimoog and an Elka rhapsody 610
string synth on Metamatic. The other keyboards included a Hohner clavinet, Hammond B-3 and an upright piano.

Looks like you're right about the Polymoog; I just dug up an old email from Gareth Jones where he mentions that they did use
a Polymoog on The Garden - along with the Odyssey, VP-330, TR-808, Linn LM-1, Prophet 5 and Jupiter 4 (the last two
courtesy of Duncan Bridgeman). Not sure if there's any minimoog on this album.
There is a list i believe of gear used on The Garden LP in the 2nd and last JFIS as it was known then, the Polymoog was in the list 203a/280a im not sure which to me its 203a but i may be wrong.
yamoto773

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The other thing worth noting is that even though Gary Numan didn't invent electronic music or the electronic/pop-rock crossover or whatever, he did influence a lot of the people who came after him. Maybe those people would have been just as influenced by Foxx or Ultravox if Numan had never existed, but that's a hypothetical and can't be proved either way.
Influenced or inspired? :lol:

Sorry, I just had to channel Analog Kid for a moment.

Seriously, you are right. If it weren't Numan it would have been someone else. Why do people get so busted up over who did what first? Is there some kind of prize for getting it all right? Do we get street cred points for knowing the evolutionary tree of electronic music?

You know it's a good thread when Tallow tells somoene else to be nicer.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Cumulus wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Is there some kind of prize for getting it all right? Do we get street cred points for knowing the evolutionary tree of electronic music?
No, but it's always been in vouge to rip into Gary Numan, even when your music career started after his, haha.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue May 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Gary Numan led to Trent Reznor. That is truly magical and wonderful, in my world.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Let me just add that I saw Numan live about 8 years ago. The first thing he did when he got on stage was to say somethign like, "I'll get this out of the way for those of you who came here for this. The rest of you can stick around. He then played "Cars". I think that took a lot of guts, playing your main hit first.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue May 01, 2012 10:51 pm

There's something wrong with the thinking "If Gary Numan says new synths are better than old ones then it must be true." 2012 Numan is not 1979 Numan. In the same way, Lou Reed's guitar set up in 1970 sounded awesome; his Steinberger did not. It's the same with Numan's guitarist in Stab Frenzy's clip. That's just a sucky corporate pseudo-angsty rock guitar tone. Just my opinion, you say? Yep, just Numan's opinion too. Love the guy's early stuff but I don't look to him to bless my synth choices. And I definitely wouldn't trust him in choosing a guitar tone.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 am

People tend to rationalize their buying decisions. Hey, nobody wants to think that they spent hundreds of bucks on the "wrong" gear so of course he says what he has is better. Maybe it IS better for him.
Maybe not for you.

I'll be happy to tell you all that my particular collection of synths and stuff is the best. Take it or leave it. It's just my opinion.

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 am

Numan would also be totally embarassed by the fact that anyone took what ever he said about synths too seriously.
He is a very modest guy, who doesn't buy in to the 'hype' about him being the Godfather of synth music.
He always says he 'might' have opened the door, but then others that were better than him went running through!
He is also not nostalgic about old anaolg synths, would complain how they were unreliable etc, and give him a modern synth and he could still get the right sounds out of it. To be fair, I dont think he feels a need to justify his buying habits, he has a bunch of old modular stuff in his studio and still owns a minimoog, but prefers to use modern technology.
Still is my favourite artist of that period, as I said earlier, I prefer his darker sounds to the more 'pop' sounds by the others, even though I was totally into Soft Cell, Depeche Mode etc.
Numan was/is also great, in my opinion, live, but thankfully it takes all tastes.

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed May 02, 2012 10:36 pm

The thing people have to realise is that back in the day....all our favourite artists (inc. Numan) were utilising synths which were new-ish or cutting edge at the time. It was a stark contrast both musically and technically from what had gone before. Very few of these artists would use the old synths now...except for some nostalgic or practical reason.

Like many of you, I have been on a personal quest over the last 12 years to acquire and use classic synths...partly because thats what my favourite bands used. If im honest, I think I wanted to capture the spirit of music during a happier time of my life. If I really wanted to embrace the excitement of creating new music then perhaps I should be using the 'synths of today'. Its a hard choice to make - im torn between nostalgia and the belief older synths sound nicer...and the feeling of wanting to create something new using current technology. Maybe some others here feel the same way?

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote: If I really wanted to embrace the excitement of creating new music then perhaps I should be using the 'synths of today'. Its a hard choice to make - im torn between nostalgia and the belief older synths sound nicer...and the feeling of wanting to create something new using current technology. Maybe some others here feel the same way? DS
New technologies can obviously help to elaborate new interesting stuff, but innovation is more related to how do you use those instruments.
Synths are SO versatile, so interesting, they can have infinite applications on music composition. Sometimes I even think they are TOO much for me.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu May 03, 2012 3:47 am

There are many good things said by many cool people. But for realsies, its all a joke. Who the f**k cares?

cars sucks anyway, and who f**k cares who uses what synth. You either know what to do with it or you dont(the synth that is).

*edit* please disregard my b-s

Moped10
Band: a bunch (too many to list in t

Post by Moped10 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:58 am

It's my job to prove s**t to you. I am an archivist at the Bob Moog Foundation who also has a degree in composition with an electronic music emphasis.
take it easy there rooster- don't spoil your rep by looking needlessly excited on a corny synth forum...