G. Numan drops wise words - old vs new - blahblah

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: G. Numan drops wise words - old vs new - blahblah

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 am

stillearning wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: I would definitely say he was inspired by Bowie and Kraftwerk...
Wait... Inspired, or influenced?
Hmm. I was under the impression that you were a mature adult.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:25 am

AnalogKid wrote:Show me anything before Kraftwerk that sounds like synth pop/techno and I will no longer believe, along with many music historians, that Kraftwerk was seminal.
Here's a composition by Raymond Scott from sometime between the 50's and 60's. He did a lot of television and radio advertisements:

Now, I'm actually a big Kraftwerk fan as well, but I can certainly agree that they weren't the first. Influential, yes, they sold quite a lot of records and broke out into the mainstream, but as AG said, they really just made electronic music palatable for a broader audience. There's quite a few gems from before their time, you just gotta dig around some.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:19 am

And if that statement shocks you and pisses you off, then you know NOTHING about what happened from 1900-1970.... "
It had not one f**k jot to do with looking cool, making people dance, or embracing a pseudo-futuristic aesthetic....
By the the goddamned time Kraftwerk came along, electronic music was very goddamned old... and if you don't know it, it just means you've been researching history from internet fanboys instead of understanding actual music history....
You plainly know absolutely nothing.
Don't just f**k make blind statements based upon what you've read on the internet...
Why don't you do some f**k research that isn't based on what you love and wish/.... It's my job to prove s**t to you. I am an archivist at the Bob Moog Foundation who also has a degree in composition with an electronic music emphasis. Instead of requiring me to contest what you've plainly only f**k read on the internet, why don't you do some form and analysis, music history, and electronic music history research on your own?
Yeah, Automatic Gainsay, you're a real class act. I enjoyed this thread until you came along with your foul-mouthed vitriolic tirade. Not only is your writing out of line and unnecessarily foul-mouthed and harsh, it reeks of arrogance.

If this is how a moderator on this site behaves, I think that I'm done visting this site.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:25 am

AG isn't a moderator.

And while his tone was exceedingly harsh (always a bad time when somebody invokes credentials), it was valid. The typical dilettantes, authorities, and all that mess that I don't care to be involved with in any way.

Marc, as somebody involved with electronic music in an educational capacity, I would think teaching as opposed to shouting, even on the internet, would be the order of the day. Doubly so if you plan on chiding somebody on matters of maturity in the next post. Of course, that is just my 2 cents.

Either way, please be nicer.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 am

Kraftwerk were not the 1st, along with many other artists we are miles off topic .
yamoto773

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Re-Member wrote: It's really no different than the Lou Reed look.

honestly not a popular look right now :lol:

I AM THE TABLE!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 pm

AnalogKid wrote: Underpass makes heavy use of the Polymoog's vox humana sound just like Gary Numan's Cars song.
That's not true, there's no polymoog on "Metamatic" (1). John's black/gold face Odyssey II is responsible for the stringy lead
line as well as the sync-sound.

(1) Gareth Jones and John Wesley Barker have confirmed this.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Maybe AG is just getting a little fed up.
Last edited by cgren72 on Thu May 03, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Micke wrote:
AnalogKid wrote: Underpass makes heavy use of the Polymoog's vox humana sound just like Gary Numan's Cars song.
That's not true, there's no polymoog on "Metamatic" (1). John's black/gold face Odyssey II is responsible for the stringy lead
line as well as the sync-sound.

(1) Gareth Jones and John Wesley Barker have confirmed this.
Metamatic i thought strictly Arp Odyssey /Roland CR-78, Polymoog may have been used on the Garden, I will ask Dennis the next time i call him.
yamoto773

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 am

cgren72 wrote:Maybe AG is just getting a little fed up.
Everyone on here treats him like s**t, and he always provides valuable input. "analog kid" and whoever else just wants to fit in with everyone else on this website that is an asshole to AG. Maybe you should try getting friends by posting and having good conversation, "analog kid", instead of trying to piss off AG to impress whoever it is that you are trying to impress.
AG has contributed so much more to the synthesizer community than you most likely ever will.

And I know that it is none of my business, but I just kind of get tired of seeing it too. Not that this post will help anything, but I don't see why people can't show a little respect.
Do they? I've noticed some good-natured ribbing but nothing antagonistic.
Dude's cool in my book but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with him on everything.

Anyhow, yeah, back on topic...Digital synthesizers are better than analog ones...

:?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 01, 2012 3:23 am

tallowwaters wrote:Either way, please be nicer.
That's not the tallowwaters I know.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Either way, please be nicer.
That's not the tallowwaters I know.
Well, it's not Matt. I'm trying to be a more level headed mod though.

Besides, it's just music. It's not like it's anything important...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 am

tallowwaters wrote:Besides, it's just music. It's not like it's anything important...
I guess it's not important to most.
It's only my life's work.
Who gives a f**k about education? It doesn't really matter.
I feel better, now. Let's pave it all over with a deep discussion about the relative merits of deep minimal glitch trancecore, and stop all of this talk about pre-1970. Or, pre-1990, for that matter.

ISHKUR FOREVER.
Thank GOD Pierre Schaeffer invented turntablism.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
cgren72 wrote:Maybe AG is just getting a little fed up.
Everyone on here treats him like s**t, and he always provides valuable input. "analog kid" and whoever else just wants to fit in with everyone else on this website that is an asshole to AG. Maybe you should try getting friends by posting and having good conversation, "analog kid", instead of trying to piss off AG to impress whoever it is that you are trying to impress.
AG has contributed so much more to the synthesizer community than you most likely ever will.

And I know that it is none of my business, but I just kind of get tired of seeing it too. Not that this post will help anything, but I don't see why people can't show a little respect.
Do they? I've noticed some good-natured ribbing but nothing antagonistic.
Dude's cool in my book but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with him on everything.

Anyhow, yeah, back on topic...Digital synthesizers are better than analog ones...

:?
I didnt intend on it sounding like i think he is some sort of synth higher being lol. I just said he has good things to say. Not that they are always right or wrong, just that they usually add to whats being discussed. I probably shouldn't have even posted on it, its not like I need to defend people on a website

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 01, 2012 5:02 am

The other thing worth noting is that even though Gary Numan didn't invent electronic music or the electronic/pop-rock crossover or whatever, he did influence a lot of the people who came after him. Maybe those people would have been just as influenced by Foxx or Ultravox if Numan had never existed, but that's a hypothetical and can't be proved either way.