G. Numan drops wise words - old vs new - blahblah

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: G. Numan drops wise words - old vs new - blahblah

Post by pflosi » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

So who influenced the influence of the influence of your influence?

:D

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed May 09, 2012 4:26 am

pflosi wrote:So who influenced the influence of the influence of your influence?

:D
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:46 am

who the h**l is that?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:But nobody said Gary Numan invented electronic music did they? Just that he was influential, which is true.
I don't think I've seen anyone specifically state that, but a lot of people in the present give him credit for that which he is not responsible for.
As for influence: maybe. One might say "I was a big fan of Numan, and he influenced me." But Numan was "influenced" by people whom he sounds like, too. So, to suggest that one specific person "influenced" you is to, in some ways, indicate that what that one person did was unique, and it caused you to do something similar.
I felt that I was "influenced" by Numan when I was young, but as an adult, I recognize that some factors that I thought mmmmgfff mmfmmfmmmmmfmmmmmffffffffffffmmmm mfmfmmmmmmmmff...
Sorry, can you repeat that? Your voice became muffled as your head disappeared up your arse. :P

I'm pretty sure that you can safely say that if somebody heard Gary Numan's music, at whatever time, and then decided that it sounded cool and they wanted to make something similar then he was an influence on them. You could say he inspired them too, they're both pretty broad terms.

You don't have to be doing something unique (as if that's even possible) to influence others. If that were the case you could easily get out of DUI charges by telling the judge that the beer you were drinking was very similar to other beers and therefore you couldn't possibly be under it's influence. Or maybe they would change the charge to 'driving under the inspiration'?

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 am

ninja6485 wrote:who the h**l is that?
Looks like RC to me dont you guys know anything ! Roger Whittaker owned Polymoogs and a Minimoog was used on a Album of his you aint seen nothin yet.
yamoto773

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 am

Stab- ROTFL here! :lol:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 pm

bochelli wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:who the h**l is that?
Looks like RC to me dont you guys know anything !
I ain't never known nothin! :D
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...