Blade Runner on a JX-8P?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SSquirrel

Blade Runner on a JX-8P?

Post by SSquirrel » Wed May 02, 2012 12:37 am

So if you had a JX 8P + PG 800, how would you go about setting things up for the blade runner sounds? I have a feeling you should be able to get all the strong and brass sounds from the main theme on there, but I haven't had my 8P setup in awhile and I'm not the best at sound design. Anyone have any ideas or better yet, one of each and a patch or 2? :)

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Blade Runner on a JX-8P?

Post by Alex E » Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 am

Is it weird I've never heard the blade runner soundtrack?
soundcloud.com/vectron

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed May 02, 2012 1:01 am

Hey Squirrel, not to meaning to detract you, but when you mentioned using alternate synths to re-create Blade Runner, I instantly thought of this guys versions using ESQ 1, Juno 6, Korgx5 & JunoG of all boards. So you know it can be done on an awesome synth like the JX-8P!

Carry-on...Carry-on...

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed May 02, 2012 1:37 am

The key to such sounds lies mostly in envelopes, LFOs, scaling, filters and player response (how the synth reacts to velocity, aftertouch, modwheel, pitchbend etc). I could name one particular synth which has features for all these aspects combined, but.. ahwell.. ^_^

So, whether the oscillators of a synth are CS80, JX8p, JP8, OB8 .. (anything else with an 8?) doesn't matter much, it's the fine tuning in its response that counts. And in case of Blade Runner, the effects section is over half the sound. If you don't have a bright reverb of some 8 seconds, then forget about Blade Runner.. make 'Popcorn' instead.. :lol:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed May 02, 2012 2:35 am

Alex E wrote:Is it weird I've never heard the blade runner soundtrack?
Does that mean you haven't seen the f**k movie?

I'd argue a clockwork orange is a more important one to listen to however.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed May 02, 2012 2:43 am

Alex E wrote:Is it weird I've never heard the blade runner soundtrack?
Very :)
bhrama wrote: Hey Squirrel, not to meaning to detract you, but when you mentioned using alternate synths to re-create Blade Runner, I instantly thought of this guys versions using ESQ 1, Juno 6, Korgx5 & JunoG of all boards. So you know it can be done on an awesome synth like the JX-8P!

Oh I 'm sure it can be done, I just don' know how ot set it up like that myself and wondered if anyone who is better at that kind of thing would care to kick out some settings for a JX-8P + Programmer :)

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm

You could get close - if it's the typical CS-80 brass patch. The CS-80's sound does have a unique sonic footprint due to its oscillators and filter while the JX is a good deal more "generic" due to the DCO and more polished filter. The real trick lies in a very subtle detuning between two sawtooth waves - I mean very subtle. You don't want the traditional "rolling" sound of a large detune - a very small amount will give a slow-moving phaser/flanger like quality.

You know, instead of me describing the way of making a similar patch, here's a vid that'll help explain quicker than I have the time to type it.

You really need to DRENCH the patch in a large, high-quality reverb for the icing on the cake. I love the Lexicon units for this type of sound - especially the 224xl - but any of theirs would do well.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks, I'll check the video when I get home. I do have a Fender Pro Reverb amp. I could always run it thru there heh.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 am

tekkentool wrote:I'd argue a clockwork orange is a more important one to listen to however.
Eh, it's impressive early material, but completely counterpoint to what the Vangellis score was trying to convey.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 pm

not sure if this is of any help:

having never used a JX I've no idea as to weather or not you could set up a similar patch.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:55 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:not sure if this is of any help: having never used a JX I've no idea as to weather or not you could set up a similar patch.
The Juno attempt is a nice try, but it can't really do it well due to the single oscillator. The brass patch requires two for that slow detuning.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

gs

Post by gs » Wed May 16, 2012 6:56 pm

I once created a patch for the Korg DSS-1 that pretty much nailed this sound; the sound library disk I created (with this patch) is still available on my DSS-1 Resource web site. Too bad I don't have that synth anymore, and I do miss it.

And as mentioned, it's true that it's more about the subtle response characteristics such as aftertouch affecting filter, etc., that makes all the difference. The DSS-1 had really excellent aftertouch response, probably one of the best AT keybeds apart from the CS-80 itself.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

DanDerMann

Post by DanDerMann » Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

There is one synth that can do the Blade Runner sounds easily... Yamaha CS-80

the there is Roland JD800/990...and lots of work!

But yes I can do that sound on my JD

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Thu May 17, 2012 8:32 pm

There is a vid on You Tube of a Korg DW8000 making a decent attempt...........
Jonny Jones

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Thu May 17, 2012 8:36 pm

A very old rendition on WS