Haddaway- What Is Love synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bigman2005

Haddaway- What Is Love synths?

Post by bigman2005 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:43 am

I always wondered what synth was used on "What Is Love" by Haddaway.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Re: Haddaway- What Is Love synths?

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 am

I always thought it was a rock organ kind of sound from a roland u-220 + Distortion, a mks-50 for the synthy parts, a sh-101 or similar for the bass and a TR-909
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it's all samples.. I've found all the female vocal parts on the Zero-G Datafile 1 CD, and there are lot's of different stabs, synth and drum samples in there as well.

Now this is not much of a musical statement but a year ago I tried to put together a quick track to demo the Datafile CD, using only the samples on disc. I think it's perfectly possible to make a complete pop track from this source alone.

:lol:

Whatever instruments Haddaway used, I love his first album.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 04, 2012 2:24 pm

D-Collector wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it's all samples.. I've found all the female vocal parts on the Zero-G Datafile 1 CD, and there are lot's of different stabs, synth and drum samples in there as well.

Now this is not much of a musical statement but a year ago I tried to put together a quick track to demo the Datafile CD, using only the samples on disc. I think it's perfectly possible to make a complete pop track from this source alone.

Awesome :D you have instantly evoked 1992.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Grandmother, DX7 (x2), QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, EX-8000, S2400, Rhodes Stage MK1

Post by Alex E » Fri May 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Bassline is 100% LatelyBass from the TX81z. I love it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:14 am

D-Collector wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it's all samples.. I've found all the female vocal parts on the Zero-G Datafile 1 CD, and there are lot's of different stabs, synth and drum samples in there as well.

:o How was I unaware of the existence of Datafile one for so long? I tip my hat to you sir. :hi:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I read somewhere that the silly 'One love' vocal snippet from The Prodigy is also taken from the Zero G sample cd. Amazing... :(

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue May 08, 2012 9:12 am

If you listen to Coldcut's "Doctorin the House" from 1988 you will recognize A LOT of samples you will find in Datafile 1, funny seeing as the Datafile CD came out two years later, in 1990. On the Datafile CD they are clean, with no background "noise" which makes me believe they must have been taken from an even earlier sample database, or maybe was given to Zero-G by ColdCut.

Another funny thing, listen to Jack 'n Chill "The Jack That House Built", again a lot of those samples are on the Datafile CD. But this is not so strange as Ed Stratton from JnC became one of the founders of Zero-G, and was a huge sampling enthusiast! Probably used a lot of his private samplings to make up the Datafile.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:07 am

Yea, I remember reading that it was the first sample cd to hit the market, made entirely from a private collection. As the story goes, its creator (who's name I don't remember) gathered together 1000 of his best samples onto a dat tape, evened out the levels and had it turned into a cd. I think someone from sound on sound designed the cover. Many of those were definitly circulating around before it came out. I recognize samples on df1 from royal house, Krush, etc.- both original material and samples they themselves used. The Impression I get is that it's something like a snapshot of the pre 1990 sampling culture, almost like a "greatest hits", which probably explains why it's so much more raw and inspiring than datafile two or three, which...sound like the sounds were gathered as leftovers / filler for a professional effort to put out a sample cd (although I still like them anyway). I love how there's like a whole track of James Brown shouts...I wonder how many people got sued because of that track? There's controversy surrounding the licencing issues with using the samples, but I'm pretty sure they are not Licenced for commercial use...I think it's supposed to be "for inspirational use only," lol.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

bigman2005

Post by bigman2005 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:22 am

Is that where we get those screams on "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and EZ Rock?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Here's an interview with Ed Stratton where he explains the background and process:
http://blog.timespace.com/2010/09/stepp ... -stratton/

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 am

bigman2005 wrote:Is that where we get those screams on "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and EZ Rock?

That's from Lyn Collins' (a James Brown protege) single, "Think About It." The screams are from none other than The Godfather Of Soul himself:

(Cue: 1:24)