New Pittsburgh Foundation video

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

New Pittsburgh Foundation video

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:53 am

have you guys seen this? awesome starter setup I think. nice tilted case too.

SSquirrel

Re: New Pittsburgh Foundation video

Post by SSquirrel » Sat May 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Seems to be one of the rare youtube videos with good sound quality. Sounds very nice. Not sure how a $1700 price tag stacks up against other modular start ups, but it seems like a very well thought out group of modules.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:24 pm

update - they said the case itself doesnt have a tilted face. they just propped it up. still not bad I guess. but yeah the price tag is slightly steep. could get twice the functionality with that budget choosing modules from different brands, but this is still a great system. the thing is once you get into euro, you're highly likely to get another 3u, 6u or 9u more, so there wouldn't really be any wasted money if you just keep adding. also, you can easily sell any of these modules one by one, as you slowly outgrow them and replace them with different ones.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:update - they said the case itself doesnt have a tilted face. they just propped it up. still not bad I guess. but yeah the price tag is slightly steep. could get twice the functionality with that budget choosing modules from different brands
Really? Which brands? Foundation has:

Case
Power
Midi-CV
2x VCOs
2x LFOs
2x Mults
Ring Mod
Mixer (which can be used as 4 attenuators)
Multimode filter
2x ADSR
2x VCAs
Output module
15x patch leads

Using Doepfer modules (which are the cheapest around) and a tip top HEK you get this:

HEK $150
A190-2 $140
2x A110 $400
2x A145 or 146 $180
2x A180 $90
A114 $100
A138b $80
A121 $180
2x A140 $190
A132-3 $140
Pittsburgh Outs (no doepfer equivalent) $90
15x patch leads $29
Total: $1769, and the case isn't as nice as the monorocket one you get with the Foundation.

The Foundation is actually really good value, probably the best value in modular available.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:39 pm

ok maybe not literally. :lol: overall value you probably cant beat this price if you are 100% happy with this combination, but when you look at it in detail it can offer a few more perks. just off the top of my head, there's waste in the MIDI converter and the outs, which I find unnecessary for myself. you can remove those two and you have $228 more to put towards synthesis-related stuff. you can replace the dual index with a uVCA which has both lin/exp response + trimmer which is only about $16 more. plus I would also say that a ring mod is not the most useful thing (at least for me). I would much rather add that $109 to the $228 and spend it on something that would do a lot more for me, maybe another LFO or a Dixie which is a VCO-LFO and has an additional zig-zag waveform. also the ADSRs can be substituted with an MFB dual ADSR which saves you about $30 and adds a couple of new options like lin/log curves, hold, common gate input, dual outs. you can also replace the two oscillators with something like an E350 which comes in a little less than $400 which is more interesting imho and has more complex waveforms plus the special smoothing feature. I also think you may not really need more than 1 mult for this system, which is a few more $$ you can put elsewhere.

I don't want to digress too far into the alternative options though because this thing is already great as it is (and most importantly saves you the headache of decision making!). I haven't really tried to figure out a starter system in detail at this exact price, but just off the top of my head I would consider those options. if you like this combo enough, it's a really great deal (even "better" than the Dark Energy/A-111-5 imo, even if those are cheap as h**l). the Pittsburgh guys have put a lot of thought into this.

some other bookmarks that might be worth reading:
3u starter systems - http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43464
smallest possible setup - http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... t=smallest
starter euro under $1000 - http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... light=1000

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm

The sound quality and build seem very good - I'm seriously looking at this now to possibly replace my Little Phatty TE.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:05 am

News from http://pittsburghmodular.com/news/a-not ... ation.html

A NOTE ABOUT THE FOUNDATION...
THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2012 AT 12:45AM
In an effort to make a great system better, I have decided to hold back the release of the Foundation 60 days. I promise the time will be well spent.

After spending countless hours with our demo units we decided they could be better. The sound will stay the same; we nailed that the first time. Instead, we decided to focus on two modules that do not normally get a lot of attention, the Midi to CV converter and Multiples. Although they are simple utility modules, expanding their capabilities has solidified the Foundation as a synthesizer to be reckoned with.

The original monophonic midi module is being replaced with a 10 octave multimode midi module (Midi2) capable of monophonic, duophonic, or dual monophonic modes. The Foundation is essentially 2 monophonic voices and having a Midi to CV module that can squeeze the most flexibility out of those two voices makes a big difference. With the Midi2, the Foundation can be patched up as a dual oscillator monophonic monster for leads and basses or as a single oscillator duophonic synth for creamy pads. Using the dual monophonic mode, the Foundation can be patched up as 2 independent monophonic synths. A bass and lead at the same time or any other combination of two sounds independently controlled via Midi for multitimbral analog goodness.

The 2 Multiple modules are being replaced with the M3. The M3 is an evolved version of the multiple. It still functions as a splitter for audio and cv signals but also functions as a mixer and buffer. The M3 opens the door to extremely complex modulation and signal routing. It is the small module that makes a big difference.

Thank you to everyone who has shown interest in the Foundation and Pittsburgh Modular. Because of all the incredible support given to us by musicians around the world, we are able to focus on making our best better.

I apologize again for the delay but when the Foundation ships, the results will speak for themselves.

Sincerely,
Richard Nicol
Owner
Pittsburgh Modular
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:49 am

These are good and clear reasons for a delay and they are being shared upfront with the customers. Clearly, while they may be a newer company they have a good idea about customer service