what is a modern equivalent to the Roland SH2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zardoz677

what is a modern equivalent to the Roland SH2

Post by zardoz677 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:33 pm

I have noticed that the Roland Sh2 is the bass of choice for the band Animal Collective which I like allot. However, looking into it, I noticed that it is obviously an older vintage synth and so the price is reflective of this as well as many of the technical problems that could arise due to wear and tare.

Is there a newer synth that would be similar that I could check out? Is the mopho keyboard or moog little phatty the closest thing? Or do you feel one is better off just going with the roland sh2?

All input would be very appreciated!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: what is a modern equivalent to the Roland SH2

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 pm

zardoz677 wrote:I have noticed that the Roland Sh2 is the bass of choice for the band Animal Collective which I like allot. However, looking into it, I noticed that it is obviously an older vintage synth and so the price is reflective of this as well as many of the technical problems that could arise due to wear and tare.

Is there a newer synth that would be similar that I could check out? Is the mopho keyboard or moog little phatty the closest thing? Or do you feel one is better off just going with the roland sh2?

All input would be very appreciated!
Well duh...
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=65935 ;)

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am

Nothing new is going to give you the rich sound of the old Roland oscs and filter. Also in general old Roland synths were very well made and built to last. I doubt we'll be saying that about any new stuff when they are 30 years old... :)
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

sneakthief

Post by sneakthief » Wed May 30, 2012 10:21 am

I dunno, the 2nd oscillator on an SH2 is really hard to beat (pardon the pun). You can get in the ballpark with the Yves' Saw-Animator on the Arturia, but it's definitely not as flexible. The coolest thing is that you can disable keyboard tracking of the 2nd oscillator on the SH2.

It's a raw beast, for sure.

That said, if money is an issue get the Minibrute.
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm

People in the know (I don't put myself in that category!) claim that the Vermona Mono Lancet has a bit of a Roland vintage sound to it (I've even read several direct comparisons to the SH-2). Might be worth a look...

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:15 pm

thanks allot for the replies everyone. The Vermona looks cool but Im really looking for something with a keyboard on it. I find that everything Ive heard of the minibrute sounds a bit nasal and buzzy. Its very important for me to have a synth that can boom out a good sub bass underneath of the square or whatever. Ive heard the mopho and I thought it sounded ok but my ear is probably not as developed as yours.

So could you all perhaps suggest a few other keyboard synths I could try out. I dont really want to be spending over 600 or 700 and definitely not over 1000. I also want a good amount of knobs to fool around with and those basses are important. Is this novation bass station what Im looking for do you think? How about the sh101? Any suggestions will be very appreciated and I will definitely research them in depth. Sorry if it sounds like I am stumbling around here, I have checked these out in demos but Im still learning and I just want to add a good hardware synth that will be good for basses into my setup which really just consists of my computer, guitar and DX7...

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Wed May 30, 2012 7:24 pm

zardoz677 wrote:So could you all perhaps suggest a few other keyboard synths I could try out. I dont really want to be spending over 600 or 700 and definitely not over 1000. I also want a good amount of knobs to fool around with and those basses are important.
Have a look at the Roland SH-09. Single-oscillator version of the SH-2, but with more options on the sub-osc. It should deliver most of the SH-2 tone, but at considerably lower cost. Slider per function. And as has been noted, those old Rolands were built like tanks. Don't fear the vintage!

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Thu May 31, 2012 5:40 am

zardoz677 wrote:thanks allot for the replies everyone. The Vermona looks cool but Im really looking for something with a keyboard on it. I find that everything Ive heard of the minibrute sounds a bit nasal and buzzy. Its very important for me to have a synth that can boom out a good sub bass underneath of the square or whatever.
Have you watched the videos that Automatic Gainsay did for the Minibrute? There is a lot more than nasal and buzzy floating in that machine. Sadly I'm probably having to put off my purchase of the Minibrute for a bit.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Hint: There's one for sale on site right now!

But you've probably already seen it ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:17 am

If you want bass, you want the Minitaur. Well, I mean... compared to the Roland, it's going to be deeper, fuller, and richer. So, maybe you don't want that. But still. Minitaur. :) (also: small, affordable, built like a tank)

But yes, the MiniBrute can do some nice bass things with its well-designed sub oscillator.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 am

I would just buy the sh2. Its a full keyboard version of the severely under rated mc202, but with another oscillator. Def smashes the sh101.

As for the minitaur, I wasnt impressed. Good machine, but not for me. MOst of the time I just wished it was a voyager/phatty/mini. Owning my own mini is happening soon, so I can stop borrowing... : D

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 am

I'm going to side with the Little Phatty here. I don't actually own one but I'm always playing it with in the shop and I'm growing increasingly fond of it. Yes, search for "Little Phatty" and you probably won't have to go far to find some internet 'expert' spewing bile and vitriol into the electronic ether* but I think it's a great little synth with a ballsy sound and decent interface.

A rough search on ebay would indicate that LP II is roughly the same price as a good condition SH-2 - so perhaps it's a little over budget.

* I realise that there is a certain irony in this.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:28 am

+ 1 on Moog LP, def the closest of the bunch IMO. ;)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 am

Novation X-Station 25.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:09 am

sneakthief wrote:The coolest thing is that you can disable keyboard tracking of the 2nd oscillator on the SH2.
??? That's not true. Or I'm too stupid to know my SH2. What you can do is disable the pitch wheel for osc1.
phesago wrote:I would just buy the sh2. Its a full keyboard version of the severely under rated mc202, but with another oscillator.
???

SH101 = MC202

SH2 = :headbang:
zardoz677 wrote:Ive heard the mopho and I thought it sounded ok but my ear is probably not as developed as yours.

So could you all perhaps suggest a few other keyboard synths I could try out. I dont really want to be spending over 600 or 700 and definitely not over 1000. I also want a good amount of knobs to fool around with and those basses are important. Is this novation bass station what Im looking for do you think? How about the sh101?
For 700, you should be able to find an SH 2. If you're sure that's what you really want, just get it. The mopho, MC 202 / SH 101 are all nice, but the oscs on those are nowhere near old Roland. Novation won't get you there either...