Do you align keys on your keyboards on multi-tier stands?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Do you align keys on multi-tier stands?

Yes I do
35%
No I cannot (stand does not provide enough space or support)
6%
No I don't (and I don't care).
58%

Total votes: 31

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Do you align keys on your keyboards on multi-tier stands?

Post by vicd » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:07 am

So that, e.g., it's always C under C, and so on (assume the keys on all the two/three units are the same size)?

How do you handle 4-octaves vs 5-octaves keyboards? If you center a 4-oct board above a 5-oct one, you're basically getting its middle C somewhere about the lower keyboard's F.... not mentioning they don't always start with a C.

UPD: Does it affect your simultaneous playing on those keyboards in any way?

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Do you align keys on your keyboards on multi-tier stands

Post by Alex E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:08 pm

I like having everything lined up nicely, but I don't want to be too OCD about it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

gs

Post by gs » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Aligning the keys note-for-note offers me no apparent advantage. I can recognize and quickly reach the desired key(s) on any board on any tier no matter how each board is positioned. Instead, my preference is for each board (full length of the board, not just the keybed portion) to be more or less centered on the stand.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:48 pm

My arranging is more pragmatic: utility stuff on the lower tier( example: Xpander, since I don't have to play it per see, and XS/foogers) because I don't necessary need to touch them often. Most played stuff on the center tier, and the top tier is based off what's on the middle. Like I have my pro one above my voyager, both mono synths, and work well together, so far.

Hair

Post by Hair » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm

I do, but only because it happens to be convenient and looks snazzy - I don't think I'd mind if they weren't lined up, though I do like how it feels like a giant badass organ of synthesizers.

Another question would be, if not lined up - do you ever actually play more than one synth at once? I find that's when the giant-organ thing feels awesome (which also happens to be what she said)

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 am

As to me, I find alignment extremely useful on multi-manual keyboards and/or organs. You don't spend time/attention to quickly jump from one tier to another, and when you're playing with both left and right hands, the feeling is more like on a "traditional" piano (no "horizontal shift", brain does not need to apply "correction").

This, however, may be somewhat hard to achieve with different boards on a single stand.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Usually line them up if I can. But I don't think it would throw off my playing if they were not. Just looks more like a unit when the keys all line up. :)Image

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:51 pm

My M-Audio Oxygen49 is too small and too light to stay in one place on the bottom of my 2-tier; everytime I play it and my GAIA SH-01 it's always off. My OCD won't allow that.