Collecting, eBay and Synth Economics

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Re: Collecting, eBay and Synth Economics

Post by intrancewetrust » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

silikon wrote: Also, it takes more effort than many will put forth to actually research before listing their kit. I simultaneously laugh and weep every time I see a listing with "if you're looking at this, you know what it is". Laziness.

...and I apparently have digressed. :?
is that any worse than copy and pasting the VSE write-up tho? especially sad/hilarious when the VSE write-up list a bunch of NEGATIVE stuff about the item...

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: Collecting, eBay and Synth Economics

Post by plikestechno » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:26 am

I have way too much stuff. The more time I spend in my studio the more I realize that.

My biggest problem is that the two things I would want to sell the most are also two of the biggest and heaviest and most valuable things in my studio. With current Ebay and paypal rules I'm afraid of something happening to them and I'll be out my synths and a whole bunch of money. The Prophet T8 I have just relisted as it simply just takes up too much space. I have to follow through, pack it and ship it even if it means waiting for UPS or FedEx to pick it up at home. The EML 100 I think of selling but may yet hang on to it. Nervous about shipping it and nervous about missing it too much.

If I lived somewhere like Montreal, Toronto, New York or LA half of my studio would probably listed for local sale at the going rate. Here in Edmonton, the number of people interested in either synth I could probably count on one hand. And how many of those people would have the money on hand to buy it?

There are a lot of wise words in this thread. I could probably quote half of it.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40