Geddy Lee Oberheim Moog mashup synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jaypodesta

Geddy Lee Oberheim Moog mashup synth

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I saw this pic below in the latest issue of The Wire magazine. At first glance thought it was 12 voice! Then realised it looks to be a mashup of Oberheim (8 voice) and Minimoog. Anyone know the story of this?

The link goes to a (earlier?) picture of the two tier keyboard with Minimoog attached and 8 voice on the left.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ypp ... 1_1280.png

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Re: Geddy Lee Oberheim Moog mashup synth

Post by analoglsd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Yeah, that's the old Moogerheim 11 voice.
They were pretty common in the 70's, but Geddy's got the deluxe version with the built in goose-neck lamp and ashtray.
:headbang:
I can still remember the day when they removed all the ashtrays from airplanes and megasynths.
So sad... :cry:

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Deluxe it may be - looks like it weighs a ton with all the extras. I wonder if there are any still around in use.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:36 pm

That thing has to weigh at least as much as a CS-80. And even though he had that one, he still used a Taurus pedal and oberheim to make the "Tom Sawyer sweep".

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 am

jaypodesta wrote:I wonder if there are any still around in use.
I think he's pulling your leg here..

Custom made one-off

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:57 am

I'm pretty sure their tech was heavy into modding their synths... one of my friends had Geddy's old OBXa and it was modded to be controlled by taurus pedals. When he was selling it, it was dead and the voice cards alone went for more cash than I had at the time... really wish I coulda got it and tried to resurrect it
‹‡›

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:35 am

I bet he would have hardwired a Jupiter-8 into that too. Add a stove and washing machine, and you'd need nothing else in your life.

"A2 starts the wool programme"

"C4 starts the tumble dryer"

"C5 makes dinner"

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am

Any links to other mashup synths?
I guess what I should have written was: Anyone know if this is still functioning and in use?

Or know of any other custom Oberheim synths out there? Other than just cosmetics. Unless anyone wants to see stuff like this:

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:I'm pretty sure their tech was heavy into modding their synths... one of my friends had Geddy's old OBXa and it was modded to be controlled by taurus pedals.
The guy in question was Geddy's keyboard tech/roady Tony Geranios, aka Jack Secret. He was working for Blue Oyster Cult, and mantaining an Oberhem 8 Voice they toured with, when the two bands gigged together in 1977. Supposedly those gigs were what prompted Geddy to buy his own 8 Voice setup, and he hired Geranios away from them. He remains Geddy's keyboard tech to this day. I haven't listened to it, but you can find a very recent audio interview with him on the following page. http://midipedals.com/media/
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Kraftwerk build a Minimoog and Polymoog + third keyboard etc. together in a box before the Computer World tour 81

Ralf is playing it here

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Here's a video. From that monster to this...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:47 pm

The custom console for the Obie 8-voice and Minimoog was put together by Geddy's long-time keyboard tech Tony Geranios sometime during the 2nd half of 1978. There were two versions of it, the fiirst version had the eight SEM's built into the console and that's the one seen in the b/w pic above (circa 1979). It turned out to be a nightmare however and didn't work too well, so by 1979 Geranios and a German tech came up with a new version of the keyboard console system that had the eight SEM's mounted in a separate case. This is the one seen in the 2nd pic (circa '80, PW tour). They also built an interface so that Geddy could trigger the Oberheim from the Taurus pedals; he could turn off the Taurus and use the pedals to trigger the Oberheim sounds, or keep the Taurus pedals running in combination with the Oberheim. Geddy was later using the interface with the Oberheim OB-Xa and DSX sequencer.

Here's an audio interview with Geranois where he goes into detail about his work with Geddy/Rush:
http://midipedals.com/media/

EDIT: Ahh, I see that tim gueguen beat me to it.

Anyways, here's a vintage clip from aug 1979 where Geddy is using this monster (first version of the console) along with an Oberheim OB-1 and DS-2 sequencer.

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Cheers Micke - that's excellent!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 pm

jaypodesta wrote:Any links to other mashup synths?
I guess what I should have written was: Anyone know if this is still functioning and in use?
I highly doubt it.
Or know of any other custom Oberheim synths out there? Other than just cosmetics.
How about Casey Young's heavily customized Oberheim 8-voice modulars (one of which is still in his possession):

The massive E-mu modular system, the size of which corresponded to four main E-mu cabinets, was
afaik the largest E-mu modular ever put together. A large part of this system is now owned by Daney Carey http://207.7.138.58/images/news/DCEMU.jpg

Here's the music video for Michael Sembello's "Gravity", which was used in the film Cocoon (1985):

Casey Young did the synth-work and all the synths are from his setup. All of those synths plus
a lot more more were used in the soundtracks to Rocky IV and Transformers: the movie.

Casey's Oberheim modular and E-mu (one main cabinet) also showed up in this video with Gary Wright from 1982:

They're obviously lip-synching here but Casey confirmed to me that both the Obie and the E-mu were used
on Gary Wright's 1981 album "The Right Place".
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 pm

How could these musicians afford these mammoth-sized modulars? They must have cost more than a house!
We always say that choosing musician as a way of living is a path to disappointment and little money..