What defines a digital or analogue circuit?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Steve Jones

Re: What defines a digital or analogue circuit?

Post by Steve Jones » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Did anyone notice that on the Roland Wave Generator schematic that has been posted here that IC2 has an input marked DCO CV? Go figure that terminology out. :D Gotta love Japanese service manuals.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 pm

I guess you could say that the 106's sub oscillator is a digital oscillator in that it is a square wave clocked straight out of the digital circuitry.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:42 am

mute wrote:
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I hope you understand this is frustrating for me as well. Every time i ask a question someone either cant or doesnt want to answer, i receive the underhanded equivalent of "stop asking, youre clearly of inferior knowledge".
To everyone else it looks like you've been given several detailed answers (on a dead topic) and you refuse to accept them.
+1

Also, it's not our job to provide a basic electronics course to anyone who posts on this forum. Looking at schematics is all well and good, but it's best done with a basic understanding of what they mean, to avoid the embarrassment of looking at a chip which is labelled '16 bit programmable interval timer' and thinking that it must be analogue.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 am

i have continuously asked for a proof of concept. That is what I meant when I said "I wish someone of more authority than me would weigh in." that didn't mean "Please continue to state what you believe to be true". It meant "please offer me evidence to support claims so that we can arrive at legitimate conclusions". That is why I have wasted all of this time, to attempt to arrive at something concrete rather than guys saying stuff. I have failed along the way (sometimes deliberately, sometimes not) but published all of my findings so that people could read. Some of the things I said initially were dead wrong, but I followed up with why I said them initially, why they were dead wrong, How I figured out they were dead wrong, and what conclusions can be drawn from that information.

Anyone that posts to this forum of course has no responsibility towards anyone else on this forum (I said this initially). Yet, I asked that if you were going to continue to make the effort to post your opinion of how insensible I am or how improper it is that I don't take your words to be fact, that at the very least assist in gathering empirical evidence that the casual reader may observe so that he or she can formulate an opinion of their own. So far, the empirical evidence gathered by anyone other than me has consisted of references to reading the entirety of two books "The Cmos cookbook" and "the art of electronics" (both of which I had on my reading list but hadn't got to yet) and references from randy about how he was told to think by his teacher. Oh, and an inference that "Electronics for Dummies" might be of value. I read it a long time ago, and I don't think it would have much to offer this conversation.
I'm sorry but the words of Stab Frenzy or Nathanscribe do not count as legitimate sources unless they're backed up by empirical evidence of findings. This is pretty standard scientific method, I don't know why you guys would think that just because you assert something that I'm supposed to inherently believe that it is true. I have Stab Frenzy's self decried credentials, but since when does telling someone what you know to guarantee that what you opine is fact qualify as quantitative source checking? I'm not accusing you of lying, I just don't see how it applies unless you're saying "hey I scoped this once and it looks like this:". As of yet, that hasn't been said by anyone except me.....

I have repeatedly said that I don't care who's right and who's wrong, I just want to make sure that it's put out there publicly as correctly as possible with legitimate sources backing up the claims to make sure that if the topic comes up again there can be no argument. Heck, I already have egg on my face because I made assumptions that proved to be false based on information supplied by Roland and Korg, so what is upbuilding about continuing to harp on that? What could possibly be better than me pointing out how and why I was wrong and what is accomplished by knowing that information?

anyway, after I got home tonight I tried to scope the output of the CMOS timer directly to see what it looks like. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it right (I was balancing a poly 800 on the top of a couch, my scope on a stool, and having to edit the poly since it has no batteries.....), so I don't really have anything additional to share. The voltage out of the chip is pretty low and my scope is pretty old, the oscillations are barely intelligible. Therefore, I can't say whether the high state of the pulse appears to be continously connected to the low state or really comment on that at all. I don't feel it's upbuilding to comment on "what it looks like to me" so I won't. I'd really appreciate if someone that had a better scope wanted to do that, so please feel free to share your findings....

I'm done with my comments that are intended to mean anything on this topic, so you can follow with all the :haha: :laugh3: :mock: you like.

oh, and sorry for the OT, but I saved imgs of all the p800 waves the second time around (I realized I had all the footages on when I took that other referenced picture of the pulse :d'oh:) and uploaded them here:
http://www.ndkwebs.com/images/p800wavesjpg.zip
It's kind of funny that the 16' wave is actually somewhat useful but all the other ones (except the all footage saw maybe) are pretty much useless as far as synthesizing goes.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:56 am

stillearning wrote:After a brief read through this thread, I felt the need to jump on a tractor and mow a few acres. Now I'm going to jump in the shower, then jump on a leggy blond. I suggest the rest of you follow suit.
OK, I'll need the address of the acreage and the phone number of the leggy blond.

I'll shower at home after.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:23 am

Legs just keep this off topic:

Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I'm sorry but the words of Stab Frenzy or Nathanscribe do not count as legitimate sources unless they're backed up by empirical evidence of findings. This is pretty standard scientific method, I don't know why you guys would think that just because you assert something that I'm supposed to inherently believe that it is true. I have Stab Frenzy's self decried credentials, but since when does telling someone what you know to guarantee that what you opine is fact qualify as quantitative source checking?
That's awesome that you want definitive proof of stuff, but maybe you should be seeking out a basic course in electronics rather than a thread on an internet forum if it's really what you need to be satisfied. I'm a real human being typing this on a computer and I have better things to do than teach you every little things I know about electronics, if you're after someone who's gonna answer every question you have about electronics with empirical evidence then a paid educator is the way to go.

Lastly, you need to realise that your posts are making a lot of people on VSE think you're extremely irritating, to put it mildly. I really want to believe you're not an insufferable prick who takes pleasure from annoying other people, but the evidence is stacking up suggesting otherwise.

I think that this thread has probably run its course now so it might as well get locked off. It's a pity really that it has to end this way, but a few people have learnt a few things, so it almost makes it worthwhile.