New Studio Addition: Minimoog!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

New Studio Addition: Minimoog!!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Yes I know it's a pretty hyped up beast but wow – I mean Wow!!!!

It arrived in one piece having sailed across the Atlantic from California to the UK in an old flight case.

After removing all the knobs and a -very- deep clean and beeswax polish the front panel is looking very good and the cabinet not to shabby bar a few deep scratches....

But.... The sheer power and fatness of that sound is simply not what I was prepared for – OMG!!!!!

Forget hearing demos and samples of this thing - you have to play it for yourself to experience it first hand.

It’s much more flexible than I was expecting too – forget not officially having PWM or sync etc... it really doesn’t need it because the whole thing has phasey goodness all over it and can sound surprisingly like it’s being sync’d anyway.

The thing for me that really takes the Mini to a higher level is the ability to use OSC-3 has an HF Xmod on the other two oscillators anlong with the filter mod switch which opens a world of FM and Ring Mod type sounds by the bucket load. This vastly increases the mini's sonic pallet and it really is as flexible as h**l.

I have a ton of old synths here (almost literally!) but I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such a deep sense of – “yikes, I could actually throw all my other synths away and just sample the h**l out of this thing if I need polyphonic sounds!!”.... that said, a CS80 would be nice :)

Well yes you can sort of get close with modern VAs but the thing I wasn't really prepared for is there being so much distortion and unpredictable movement in the sound - it's dripping in analog goodness.

Little things like being able to tune/detune/offset all three oscillators in isolation makes for some very fat sounds, the envelopes never quite trigger in the same manner from note to note and are quite sensistive to playing style, the slide is not entirely predictable and the whole thing can be pushed into overload if all of the levels are set high. This is what analog is all about.

She’s number 7751 – not sure where that places her in terms of the production dates.

=> UPDATE: Manufactured in 1976 with the old 6 pot OSC board.

The cabinet does need some restoration but the front panel, after some serious cleaning, is in much better condition than I was expecting and I can’t really fault her – everything seems to work fine.

I put a quick demo together of a number of sounds I quickly dialled in (a mixture of dry and with stereo delay):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jsel9h

Minimoog 7751 for a new life in not so sunny England:

Last edited by HideawayStudio on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: New Studio Addition: Minimoog!!

Post by sam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Congratulations...Wish i had never sold mine.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:11 pm

Good purchase.

Yes, you have to hear one to get the full effect.

With that serial number it should have the older oscillators, which most people think is a good think.

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Nice Mini! the filter mod switch doesn't work on mine for some reason I really should figure out whats up there... anyone know how to fix this?

Esus

Post by Esus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:35 pm

She's a beauty--Congratulations!

brento

Post by brento » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 am

Congrats on picking that up. Looks like it's in very good nick. I agree that there's nothing like the real thing. Some of the software emulations are very good, and virtually undetectable in a mix, but when the sounds are out there naked on their own, I reckon you can pick a real one. And there is a lot to be said for the tactile and authentic experience of an original Minimoog.
It looks like you have a "D" model (Moog Music), the best known model with the smooth white performance wheels. This model went into production in '71 or '72. If you're keen, you can take the back plate off and you should find the date on which it came off the production line.
Check out this page for some info on Minimoog model history:
<http://minimoog.monsite-orange.fr/page1/index.html>
Cheers,
brento

dubold
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: sh-32, ms2000r, er-1mkii, laptop, various delays, wires, tubes

Post by dubold » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 am

that's phenomenal, congrats.

Out of curiosity, who'd you use to ship it? Were you satisfied with them? I may need to send some recording gear across the atlantic and could really use some recommendations.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:01 pm

dubold wrote:that's phenomenal, congrats.

Out of curiosity, who'd you use to ship it? Were you satisfied with them? I may need to send some recording gear across the atlantic and could really use some recommendations.
It was simply sent USPS Airmail - it turned up in the UK remarkably quickly considering it had to go through two sets of customs. Probably not the safest of methods though.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:15 pm

OK, I spent yesterday bathing in all the glory of the Mini's typical trademark sounds it does so well... screaming leads, deep bass, twangy harp like sounds etc.

Today I decided to delve a little deeper and now I'm feeling somewhat blown away. The sheer flexibility of this thing coupled with it's uncanny ability to steep everything in a living breathing organic warmth sometimes takes your breath away.

I started to play with using OSC3 as an HF modulator - I was expecting metallic clangs for sure...

I was NOT expecting this!!.... it breaks all the preconceptions for me... well beyond the range of timbres I was
expecting from a Minimoog....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a571hj

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 pm

That's FM for you :) Perfected in the Yamaha DX7 that came a decade later.

The funniest thing about analog FM is when you hit those sweet spots where everything just sounds creamy instead of clangorous and disharmonic. It only happens on some keys usually.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Bitexion wrote:That's FM for you :) Perfected in the Yamaha DX7 that came a decade later.

The funniest thing about analog FM is when you hit those sweet spots where everything just sounds creamy instead of clangorous and disharmonic. It only happens on some keys usually.
This is exactly why I'm so impressed - that's always been my experience but the amazing thing is that I'm currently staring at a Minimoog in amazement whilst I play a perfect set of analog bells right across 3 octaves!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Like my Yamaha CS-5, the LFO goes almost into audio range, when I mod the VCO and filter with it on max speed, it gets nasty on some keys but totally LOVELY on some keys.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I think the only Minimoog I've ever encountered in the flesh was in a local used instrument place that was in business for about 5 minutes in the mid '80s. 500 bucks in a road case as I remember it. Not that I had 500 bucks to spend on it, a good guitar was a higher priority.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:Well yes you can sort of get close with modern VAs but the thing I wasn't really prepared for is there being so much distortion and unpredictable movement in the sound - it's dripping in analog goodness.

Little things like being able to tune/detune/offset all three oscillators in isolation makes for some very fat sounds, the envelopes never quite trigger in the same manner from note to note and are quite sensitive to playing style, the slide is not entirely predictable and the whole thing can be pushed into overload if all of the levels are set high. This is what analog is all about.
In my view, this is why there will always be a place for analog. There's simply no other way to get the kind of random, subtle variations and "life" that arise from using real, unpredictable, physical processes to create sound.
-- R.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am

Yes, the analog sound is visceral. I absolutely love my "virtual analog" Virus, but when I play a Moog synth, it's a completely different thing. (not saying "better", per se, just different).
Bassist, synth junkie